IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What is the definition of a prophet?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is the definition of a prophet?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andalus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2007 at 12:08am
Originally posted by buddyman buddyman wrote:

Cop out?  I am not the one dragging my feet to begin this discussion. It sounds like you rely waaay to much on other people's work and you have no real clue as to why you believe what you believe. Your response tells me that you desire a very "cursory", "superficial", and slightly "juvenile" discussion which will not allow anyone to learn the truth or come to a rational conclusion because

1) the topic requires more than exchaging links, and websites, and copy and pastes; and

2) I am beginning to think that you are unable to debate the material, keep in mind that a debate does not include "copy and pasting", "dumping volumes of biblical verses with about 10 words to assert some unproven meaning", throwing links at each other, etc, etc. I am beyond this, and I know enough about Daniel to understand that no real discussion will take place if we substitute such a juvenile approach to such a complicated book.

Andalus,

Are you telling me that everything you learned was all on your own? You didn't get help from anyone?

No. I am telling you that I am not here to debate favorite websites or links or other authors who are not here. Your question assumes that we are no more than simple automotans that must paste someone elses work to represent our own views because we are unable to know it well enough for a discussion. The deal is this: This is a discussion forum.

regards

A feeling of discouragement when you slip up is a sure sign that you put your faith in deeds. -Ibn 'Ata'llah
http://www.sunnipath.com
http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/
http://www.pt-go.com/
Andalus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andalus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2007 at 12:10am

You should care if I do a lot of cutting and pasting. Do you want to discuss this topic with me or websites that disagree with you? If you do not have time to debate the material, then perhaps you do not have the time right now. If we both cut and paste material from other authers then what good will come of the exchange? If two people spout off links and websites and copy and paste material at each other, then it would not be a discussion.

I don't care. Now, I have the time to read what you post. You either choose to post and discuss Daniel or you don't. Enough arguing.

As long as you abide by my requested guidelines we will be fine. Thanks.

Here is my reply to something you posted earlier. I thought it would be a good start.

No truth is more clearly taught in the Bible than that God by His Holy Spirit especially directs His servants on earth in the great movements for the carrying forward of the work of salvation. Men are instruments in the hand of God, employed by Him to accomplish His purposes of grace and mercy. Each has his part to act; to each is granted a measure of light, adapted to the necessities of his time, and sufficient to enable him to perform the work which God has given him to do. But no man, however honored of Heaven, has ever attained to a full understanding of the great plan of redemption, or even to a perfect appreciation of the divine purpose in the work for his own time. Men do not fully understand what God would accomplish by the work which He gives them to do; they do not comprehend, in all its bearings, the message which they utter in His name.

"Canst thou by searching find out God? canst thou find out the Almighty unto perfection?" "My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways, saith the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts." "I am God, and there is none like Me, declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done." Job 11:7; Isaiah 55:8, 9; 46:9, 10.

Even the prophets who were favored with the special illumination of the Spirit did not fully comprehend the import of the revelations committed to them. The meaning was to be unfolded from age to age, as the people of God should need the instruction therein contained.
Peter, writing of the salvation brought to light through the gospel, says: Of this salvation "the prophets have inquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you: searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow. Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister." 1 Peter 1:10-12.

Yet while it was not given to the prophets to understand fully the things revealed to them, they earnestly sought to obtain all the light which God had been pleased to make manifest. They "inquired and searched diligently," "searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify." What a lesson to the people of God in the Christian age, for whose benefit these prophecies were given to His servants! "Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister." Witness those holy men of God as they "inquired and searched diligently" concerning revelations given them for generations that were yet unborn. Contrast their holy zeal with the listless unconcern with which the favored ones of later ages treat this gift of Heaven. What a rebuke to the ease-loving, world-loving indifference which is content to declare that the prophecies cannot be understood!

Though the finite minds of men are inadequate to enter into the counsels of the Infinite One, or to understand fully the working out of His purposes, yet often it is because of some error or neglect on their own part that they so dimly comprehend the messages of Heaven. Not infrequently the minds of the people, and even of God's servants, are so blinded by human opinions, the traditions and false teaching of men, that they are able only partially to grasp the great things which He has revealed in His word. Thus it was with the disciples of Christ, even when the Saviour was with them in person. Their minds had become imbued with the popular conception of the Messiah as a temporal prince, who was to exalt Israel to the throne of the universal empire, and they could not understand the meaning of His words foretelling His sufferings and death.

Christ Himself had sent them forth with the message: "The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel." Mark 1:15. That message was based on the prophecy of Daniel 9. The sixty-nine weeks were declared by the angel to extend to "the Messiah the Prince," and with high hopes and joyful anticipations the disciples looked forward to the establishment of Messiah's kingdom at Jerusalem to rule over the whole earth.

They preached the message which Christ had committed to them, though they themselves misapprehended its meaning. While their announcement was founded on Daniel 9:25, they did not see, in the next verse of the same chapter, that Messiah was to be cut off. From their very birth their hearts had been set upon the anticipated glory of an earthly empire, and this blinded their understanding alike to the specifications of the prophecy and to the words of Christ.

70 weeks = 490 years

457 BC - Decree to rebuild Jerusalem (69 weeks or 483 years)

the last week or 7 years = Jesus baptized on AD27 -right on time

in the middle of the week he is cut down - Jesus crucified AD31

His ministry was for 3 1/2 years

the remaining 3 1/2 years the message went out to the gentiles.

AD34 Stephen was stoned.

They performed their duty in presenting to the Jewish nation the invitation of mercy, and then, at the very time when they expected to see their Lord ascend the throne of David, they beheld Him seized as a malefactor, scourged, derided, and condemned, and lifted up on the cross of Calvary. What despair and anguish wrung the hearts of those disciples during the days while their Lord was sleeping in the tomb!

Christ had come at the exact time and in the manner foretold by prophecy. The testimony of Scripture had been fulfilled in every detail of His ministry. He had preached the message of salvation, and "His word was with power." The hearts of His hearers had witnessed that it was of Heaven. The word and the Spirit of God attested the divine commission of His Son.

After His resurrection Jesus appeared to His disciples on the way to Emmaus, and, "beginning at Moses and all the prophets, He expounded unto them in all the Scriptures the things concerning Himself." Luke 24:27. The hearts of the disciples were stirred. Faith was kindled. They were "begotten again into a lively hope" even before Jesus revealed Himself to them. It was His purpose to enlighten their understanding and to fasten their faith upon the "sure word of prophecy." He wished the truth to take firm root in their minds, not merely because it was supported by His personal testimony, but because of the unquestionable evidence presented by the symbols and shadows of the typical law, and by the prophecies of the Old Testament. It was needful for the followers of Christ to have an intelligent faith, not only in their own behalf, but that they might carry the knowledge of Christ to the world. And as the very first step in imparting this knowledge, Jesus directed the disciples to "Moses and all the prophets." Such was the testimony given by the risen Saviour to the value and importance of the Old Testament Scriptures

It is unfortunate that you have implied in your last reply to me that this older contribution represents a "beginning" to your discussion on the book of Daniel. Do not take this personally, nor am I in any way insulting you, but I must say that this copy and pasted contribution is intended for an audience that already believes, or who has lost conviction and needs to be brought back to the flock. This piece is bereft of any serious argument and leaves points that beg to be argued. Keep in mind that we are not looking for your beliefs as a Christian, what we are looking for is evidence for your belief which you say is the truth. I will skip the theological diatribe and focus on the only relevant portion of the entire piece.

70 weeks = 490 years

AD34 Stephen was stoned.

How do you derive 70 weeks? 490 years? The year 457 as a decree to rebuild Jerusalem?

What is 483 years?

How do you arrive at Jesus being crucified at 31 CE? How do you get from 457 BCE to 31 CE?

Your piece presents more questions and mysteries than answers. Do not provide me with links and volumes of material you copied and pasted. Please explain to me the gaps that were left in this presentation. Thanks

A feeling of discouragement when you slip up is a sure sign that you put your faith in deeds. -Ibn 'Ata'llah
buddyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2007 at 9:50am

It is unfortunate that you have implied in your last reply to me that this older contribution represents a "beginning" to your discussion on the book of Daniel. Do not take this personally, nor am I in any way insulting you, but I must say that this copy and pasted contribution is intended for an audience that already believes, or who has lost conviction and needs to be brought back to the flock. This piece is bereft of any serious argument and leaves points that beg to be argued. Keep in mind that we are not looking for your beliefs as a Christian, what we are looking for is evidence for your belief which you say is the truth. I will skip the theological diatribe and focus on the only relevant portion of the entire piece.

HISTORY is my evidence Andalus. That's what I've been trying to tell you. I honestly don't believe that my interpretation of Daniel Chapter has ANY specific audience. You should read it, research it and then let me know your interpretation.

Andalus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andalus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2007 at 12:06am

HISTORY is my evidence Andalus.

Then it should not be such a difficult thing for me to ask you to prove the assertion in your pasted material? You are the one who claimed that certain dates was proof for your ideas of Daniel. I only sought your explanation of how you derived the dates and time periods.

Please, do show us how history fits into your theory of Daniel!

That's what I've been trying to tell you. I honestly don't believe that my interpretation of Daniel Chapter has ANY specific audience.

I simply respond with: Who cares!

I am only asking you to prove your claims.

You should read it, research it and then let me know your interpretation.

How can I research it when you are unable to prove/verify/demonstrate or show relevance with any of the claims you made (concerning dates and years,etc,etc). You are completely sweeping your claims under the table and "passing" the buck, now I am supposed to read Daniel and figure out how your copy and pasted material derived various dates and times? Why do you demand of me something you are unwilling, or unable, to show upon request? Keep in mind, it was you who made the claim and made an asserted.

Perhaps the truth is, you do not have the knowledge to explain your claims. Buddy, if you are unable to provide even a basic explanation to one of the "key evidences" for your beliefs, if you simply leave all understanding to some pastor or some author, then intellectual integrity demands that you investigate your beliefs. Do not be affraid, be affirmed. If you have the truth, then no amount of investigation will change it. But you should have a solid grasp of your "key evidences".

I am sorry that you are unable to provide an exchange on Daniel.

regards 

paarsurrey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paarsurrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2007 at 5:06am

Hi

I today sent a post in the thread " False Prophets" which is relevant here also. I copy/paste my post hereunder:

I have gone through the posts and would like to say that the original poster is a Christian and uless we define the Prophets and have criteria for a truthful prophet and criteria of a false prophet we cannot discern false prophet from a true prophet.

To start with I would quote three passages from OTBible:

"If a prophet, or one who foretells by dreams, appears among you and announces to you a miraculous sign or wonder, and if the sign or wonder of which he has spoken takes place, and he says, 'Let us follow other gods' (gods you have not known) 'and let us worship them,' you must not listen to the words of that prophet or dreamer. The Lord your God is testing you to find out whether you love him with all your heart and with all your soul. It is the Lord your God you must follow, and him you must revere. Keep his commands and obey him; serve him and hold fast to him. That prophet or dreamer must be put to death, because he preached rebellion against the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt and redeemed you from the land of slavery; he has tried to turn you from the way the Lord your God commanded you to follow. You must purge the evil from among you" (Deuteronomy 13:1-5 NIV).

Another test for determining false prophets in the Torah is found in Deuteronomy 18:20-22. The text is as follows:

"But a prophet who presumes to speak in my name anything I have not commanded him to say, or a prophet who speaks in the name of other gods, must be put to death."

"You may say to yourselves, 'How can we know when a message has not been spoken by the Lord?' If what a prophet proclaims in the name of the Lord does not take place or come true, that is a message the Lord has not spoken. That prophet has spoken presumptuously. Do not be afraid of him" (Deuteronomy 18:20-22 NIV).

The penalty for false prophecy, according to the biblical context, is capital punishment (per Deuteronomy 13:1-5).

I would like to point out that our Prophet Muhammad , Peace be upon him,Khatumun Nabiyyeen, could not be killed by the Jews and Christians though they were the world power at that time, and great in numbers, and they had been clearly commanded in OTBible to kill a false prophet and should not be afraid of him.

This proves beyond doubt that Muhammad was a truthful Prophet .

Paul was a false Prophet and hence he was killed.

Thanks

buddyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2007 at 9:24am
Originally posted by Andalus Andalus wrote:

You should care if I do a lot of cutting and pasting. Do you want to discuss this topic with me or websites that disagree with you? If you do not have time to debate the material, then perhaps you do not have the time right now. If we both cut and paste material from other authers then what good will come of the exchange? If two people spout off links and websites and copy and paste material at each other, then it would not be a discussion.

I don't care. Now, I have the time to read what you post. You either choose to post and discuss Daniel or you don't. Enough arguing.

As long as you abide by my requested guidelines we will be fine. Thanks.

Here is my reply to something you posted earlier. I thought it would be a good start.

No truth is more clearly taught in the Bible than that God by His Holy Spirit especially directs His servants on earth in the great movements for the carrying forward of the work of salvation. Men are instruments in the hand of God, employed by Him to accomplish His purposes of grace and mercy. Each has his part to act; to each is granted a measure of light, adapted to the necessities of his time, and sufficient to enable him to perform the work which God has given him to do. But no man, however honored of Heaven, has ever attained to a full understanding of the great plan of redemption, or even to a perfect appreciation of the divine purpose in the work for his own time. Men do not fully understand what God would accomplish by the work which He gives them to do; they do not comprehend, in all its bearings, the message which they utter in His name.

"Canst thou by searching find out God? canst thou find out the Almighty unto perfection?" "My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways, saith the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts." "I am God, and there is none like Me, declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done." Job 11:7; Isaiah 55:8, 9; 46:9, 10.

Even the prophets who were favored with the special illumination of the Spirit did not fully comprehend the import of the revelations committed to them. The meaning was to be unfolded from age to age, as the people of God should need the instruction therein contained.
Peter, writing of the salvation brought to light through the gospel, says: Of this salvation "the prophets have inquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you: searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow. Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister." 1 Peter 1:10-12.

Yet while it was not given to the prophets to understand fully the things revealed to them, they earnestly sought to obtain all the light which God had been pleased to make manifest. They "inquired and searched diligently," "searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify." What a lesson to the people of God in the Christian age, for whose benefit these prophecies were given to His servants! "Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister." Witness those holy men of God as they "inquired and searched diligently" concerning revelations given them for generations that were yet unborn. Contrast their holy zeal with the listless unconcern with which the favored ones of later ages treat this gift of Heaven. What a rebuke to the ease-loving, world-loving indifference which is content to declare that the prophecies cannot be understood!

Though the finite minds of men are inadequate to enter into the counsels of the Infinite One, or to understand fully the working out of His purposes, yet often it is because of some error or neglect on their own part that they so dimly comprehend the messages of Heaven. Not infrequently the minds of the people, and even of God's servants, are so blinded by human opinions, the traditions and false teaching of men, that they are able only partially to grasp the great things which He has revealed in His word. Thus it was with the disciples of Christ, even when the Saviour was with them in person. Their minds had become imbued with the popular conception of the Messiah as a temporal prince, who was to exalt Israel to the throne of the universal empire, and they could not understand the meaning of His words foretelling His sufferings and death.

Christ Himself had sent them forth with the message: "The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel." Mark 1:15. That message was based on the prophecy of Daniel 9. The sixty-nine weeks were declared by the angel to extend to "the Messiah the Prince," and with high hopes and joyful anticipations the disciples looked forward to the establishment of Messiah's kingdom at Jerusalem to rule over the whole earth.

They preached the message which Christ had committed to them, though they themselves misapprehended its meaning. While their announcement was founded on Daniel 9:25, they did not see, in the next verse of the same chapter, that Messiah was to be cut off. From their very birth their hearts had been set upon the anticipated glory of an earthly empire, and this blinded their understanding alike to the specifications of the prophecy and to the words of Christ.

70 weeks = 490 years

AD34 Stephen was stoned.

They performed their duty in presenting to the Jewish nation the invitation of mercy, and then, at the very time when they expected to see their Lord ascend the throne of David, they beheld Him seized as a malefactor, scourged, derided, and condemned, and lifted up on the cross of Calvary. What despair and anguish wrung the hearts of those disciples during the days while their Lord was sleeping in the tomb!

Christ had come at the exact time and in the manner foretold by prophecy. The testimony of Scripture had been fulfilled in every detail of His ministry. He had preached the message of salvation, and "His word was with power." The hearts of His hearers had witnessed that it was of Heaven. The word and the Spirit of God attested the divine commission of His Son.

After His resurrection Jesus appeared to His disciples on the way to Emmaus, and, "beginning at Moses and all the prophets, He expounded unto them in all the Scriptures the things concerning Himself." Luke 24:27. The hearts of the disciples were stirred. Faith was kindled. They were "begotten again into a lively hope" even before Jesus revealed Himself to them. It was His purpose to enlighten their understanding and to fasten their faith upon the "sure word of prophecy." He wished the truth to take firm root in their minds, not merely because it was supported by His personal testimony, but because of the unquestionable evidence presented by the symbols and shadows of the typical law, and by the prophecies of the Old Testament. It was needful for the followers of Christ to have an intelligent faith, not only in their own behalf, but that they might carry the knowledge of Christ to the world. And as the very first step in imparting this knowledge, Jesus directed the disciples to "Moses and all the prophets." Such was the testimony given by the risen Saviour to the value and importance of the Old Testament Scriptures

70 weeks = 490 years

AD34 Stephen was stoned.

How do you derive 70 weeks? 490 years? The year 457 as a decree to rebuild Jerusalem?

What is 483 years?

How do you arrive at Jesus being crucified at 31 CE? How do you get from 457 BCE to 31 CE?

Your piece presents more questions and mysteries than answers. Do not provide me with links and volumes of material you copied and pasted. Please explain to me the gaps that were left in this presentation. Thanks

Andalus,

So sorry, I didn't see the bottom of this email. In prophecy we are told that 1 week equals 7 years. Therefore we take 7 and times it by 70. We get 490 years. As I mentioned before, I'm at work and can't type everything out. I don't have internet at home, but when I get a moment I will send you the information you need. And don't worry, I will type it my self..LOL!

buddyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2007 at 9:20am

Then it should not be such a difficult thing for me to ask you to prove the assertion in your pasted material? You are the one who claimed that certain dates was proof for your ideas of Daniel. I only sought your explanation of how you derived the dates and time periods.

That's what I've been trying to tell you. I honestly don't believe that my interpretation of Daniel Chapter has ANY specific audience.

How can I research it when you are unable to prove/verify/demonstrate or show relevance with any of the claims you made (concerning dates and years,etc,etc). You are completely sweeping your claims under the table and "passing" the buck, now I am supposed to read Daniel and figure out how your copy and pasted material derived various dates and times? Why do you demand of me something you are unwilling, or unable, to show upon request? Keep in mind, it was you who made the claim and made an asserted.

Perhaps the truth is, you do not have the knowledge to explain your claims. Buddy, if you are unable to provide even a basic explanation to one of the "key evidences" for your beliefs, if you simply leave all understanding to some pastor or some author, then intellectual integrity demands that you investigate your beliefs. Do not be affraid, be affirmed. If you have the truth, then no amount of investigation will change it. But you should have a solid grasp of your "key evidences".

regards 

Just as a little reminder, you told me you read the Book of Daniel. If you did, you could easily give me your interpretation

Andalus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andalus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2007 at 11:31am

regards 

Just as a little reminder, you told me you read the Book of Daniel. If you did, you could easily give me your interpretation

Perhaps you need a "little reminder" that you made a claim about the book of Daniel and have not shown any kind of proof or argument or even an explanation of your "claim" about Daniel. You have not moved beyond a simple "assertion". You made the claim, now prove your claim. If all you feel it takes to make a claim true is an assertion, then I could just say, "well.....no the book does not mean that, it means .....(and I can add anything in that disagrees with you).

Will you accept that as evidence? no. So please do not ask me to accept something you would not accept.

Edited by Andalus
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
  Share Topic