IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What is the definition of a prophet?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is the definition of a prophet?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
buddyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is the definition of a prophet?
    Posted: 08 August 2007 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by Reflections Reflections wrote:

The concept of prophet and messnger is ill defined in the Bible, although both terms are used frequently.

According to the Qur'an, A prophet is the righteous man whom God spoke to. There are too many prophets we dont know about. A messenger however is the prophet who was given a new divine message to reform his society. A messenger by definition is a prophet, but not every prophet was a messnger. Messengers were protected from being killed, but the same protection did not apply on prophets only. The Qur'an spoke about prophets being killed but no messenger was killed. John the Baptist is the best examply as he was a prophet and he was kiiled, like Zachria, but Jesus who was a messnger was protected from being killed. All known messngers died naturally except Jesus who is still alife.

The Biblical confusion came from the fact that the Bible uses the term prophet more frequently, because it applies both to messengers and prophets. The distinction between their roles and fate could only be appreciated when the diferentiation between who was only a prophet and who was a messnger 'a prophet by defintion' be clear.

No confusion really, you just have to pick up the Bible and read it.

Reflections View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reflections Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2007 at 1:49pm

The concept of prophet and messnger is ill defined in the Bible, although both terms are used frequently.

According to the Qur'an, A prophet is the righteous man whom God spoke to. There are too many prophets we dont know about. A messenger however is the prophet who was given a new divine message to reform his society. A messenger by definition is a prophet, but not every prophet was a messnger. Messengers were protected from being killed, but the same protection did not apply on prophets only. The Qur'an spoke about prophets being killed but no messenger was killed. John the Baptist is the best examply as he was a prophet and he was kiiled, like Zachria, but Jesus who was a messnger was protected from being killed. All known messngers died naturally except Jesus who is still alife.

The Biblical confusion came from the fact that the Bible uses the term prophet more frequently, because it applies both to messengers and prophets. The distinction between their roles and fate could only be appreciated when the diferentiation between who was only a prophet and who was a messnger 'a prophet by defintion' be clear.

Andalus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andalus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2007 at 12:25am
Originally posted by buddyman buddyman wrote:

Originally posted by minuteman minuteman wrote:

Again you have not discussed the reply by Andalus. I may use the OT and NT and the Quran. There is no harm. I have the Quran and you have the OT and NT. OT and NT will suit you most because you believe in them.

Please note that the most important thing for a prophet is to prophesize. If some one does not prophesy then he cannot be a prophet of God. We will again take note of all you items mentioned in your formula of the true prophets. Later. In the meantime, please read carefulkly the reply by Andalus and try to comment because I have given my agreement to those points.

I don't know why you care so much about my conversation with Andulus but I believe I have answered his questions. The Bible tells us what a prophet is, in the OT and in the NT. So far the prophets of the Bible are true because their prphecies were fullfilled.

I did not pose questions in the post I made to you, they were valid points dealing with the problems in your "definition".

So

1) you did not answer my questions, and

2) you never dealt with my points 

A feeling of discouragement when you slip up is a sure sign that you put your faith in deeds. -Ibn 'Ata'llah
http://www.sunnipath.com
http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/
http://www.pt-go.com/
Andalus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andalus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2007 at 12:22am

O.K. Buddyman, I have read your first post. It is telling a lot about a true prophet and false prophet but in a vague way. I find the reply by Andalus (of 04 July) the best one for your post. According to your fromula, even Moses cannot be a prophet because he never taught about Jesus. Please see that reply by Andalus again below:

An extremely cursory approach to such an important idea.

It is very difficult to follow your work, as you try and mix the NT with the OT, and you bury unproven assumptions in your work.

As an example, in your second test, you stated:

Quote:

What is the second test of a prophet?

1 John 4:2  Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God.

A prophet of God must acknowledge and teach the truth about Jesus Christ--that He was God in human form. True prophets must also exalt Jesus, not themselves. Most false prophets seek to draw attention away from God's Word and to their own ideas.

This is Christian theological doctrine, not a "truth". You cannot expect me, or any non Christian, to believe that a prophet must agree with 1 John? If everyone held this belief as true, then we would be Christians. My reply would be, "Gee, I did not read 1 John! What can I say? I am astounded Buddy! See you at church on sunday!". 

1) I reject 1 John and ask you to authenticate this as having an authority from Jesus(or from any author that knew Jesus). You have an unproven, buried assumption about the validty of 1 John, and Christian doctrine.

2) I do not believe Jesus was divine, which is yet another assumption you buried in this theological hyperbole.

I say that any man who claims Jesus, or anything of this world is God, is false.

Moses did not teach of Jesus, and never prayed to him.

I reserve my right to later add to what is said above. But the reply by Andalus should be an eye opener for the Buddyman. I am surprised that Buddyman has not replied to all those points.

Why would you not use the OT and the NT? That makes no sense. Obviously throughout time God has told us what a true prophet is. Not really that hard, you just have to read the Bible including the OT and you will see.

The NT does not contain "explicit" details which allow us to "define" a prophet. It has too many "implicit" verses that only allow you to invent a "Christian Prophet".

A feeling of discouragement when you slip up is a sure sign that you put your faith in deeds. -Ibn 'Ata'llah
Andalus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andalus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2007 at 12:20am

I wanted to present a few words on the topic. A prophet is a chosen man of God to whom Allah reveals some message (news of the unseen). This message is sometime in spoken words, sometime in written words shown in a dream. That is called Wahi (revelation). The quality and quantity of the Wahi of a prophet is always  high. It is not necessary for a prophet to bring any new law (Shariyat). In special cases, the spoken words forms the part of a book of law. That type of Wahi has been stopped and no new person will come with any new law.

But other forms of Wahi are still allowed. They may contain good or bad news only. The prophet s.a.w.s. had said," There is nothing left pf the Nabuwwat except the Mubashshirat." The Sahabah asked Huzoor, "What is meant by Mubashshirat?"

The prophet said " Visions", meaning true dreams only.

The Bible tells us what a prophet is. That is how we can distinguish from a false prophet, which is why I posted what I did previously.

You gave your own cursory interpretation of the bible's definition. Jews use your OT, and they do not believe that a man must teach in the name of Jesus. Your definition was simply theological rhetoric.

Andalus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andalus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2007 at 12:19am

Andulus,

Answers to you questions.

How do you derive 70 weeks? 490 years?

As Imentioned before. We are told, that 1 week is equal to 7 years. There are 7 days in the week. 1 day equals one year. So we then take 7 and times that by 70 and get 490 years (the prophecy is 70 weeks wich is equal to 490 years)

You are referring to 9:24:

Seventy weeks [of years] have been decreed upon your people and upon the city of your Sanctuary to terminate the transgression and to end sin, and to expiate iniquity, and to bring eternal righteousness, and to seal up vision and prophet, and to anoint the Holy of Holies.

The year 457 as a decree to rebuild Jerusalem?

We get this date because it's the last date at which the decree was given to rebuild the temple (Artaxerxes gave the last decree and Cyprus made it happen)

I am still puzzled as to how you came to your date. You have a bad habit of just "asserting" your beliefs as if they are "facts" that everyone accepts and knows.

You need to show how you have come to a 457 date? You are "handwaving" your conclusions and I will briefly demonstrate:

Nehemiah 2:1-8 suggest that the date is 445 BCE when you take the notion of the month of Nissan into account and adjust it to our calender system.

Ezra suggests that the decree to build the temple, as opposed to the city, was 457 by Artaxerxes 7:11-28

Cyrus made a decree to build the temple, as opposed to the city, approximately 538 BCE (2 chronicles 36).

Buddyman, you always "over simplify" the proof of your claims.  

What is 483 years?

This is when the prophecy gets to the 69th week. This is from the time the decree was given until the temple was rebuilt.

You still need to validate your "decree date".

You need to show from where in Daniel 9 you deduced this.

How do you arrive at Jesus being crucified at 31 CE? How do you get from 457 BCE to 31 CE?

From the time the decree was given in 457 BC to when the temple was built the prophecy states that Messiah the Prince. How do we get to the date 31? We are toldin the Bible who was in power during those times and then we just look at history. For example, we know that Pontius Pilate was a Roman governor during Jesus's time.

This is another "handwaving" job. So ask me how I know your faith is wrong? Well Buddyman, that is easy, we know from history and the bible itself and archeology. Ok?

Of course not. The last passover of Jesus would have place the year at 32 CE. Since the "exact" date is dispited even aomgst your own group, you need to establish the year he was "allegedly" killed.

Please don't forget to read the Book of Daniel. Let me know if you've read any part of it yet and then we can discuss.

I want evidence and proof of your claims.

buddyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2007 at 2:20pm

Very good. Could you tell me who is a prophet according to your belief?? Is Adam a prophet? Is Noah a prophet? Is Abraham a prophet? Is Moses a prophet?? Is Jonas a prophet? Is John the Baptist a prophet? Please include some more, as much as you know. Thanks.

Did I not give you the information already? You ask what is a prophet, I tell you, to read what I orginally posted. But I guess you want actual names..lol! I suggest you read the OT & NT. Remember, there are true prophets of God and False prophets - you should know what the destinction is from my original post.

minuteman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minuteman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2007 at 11:28am

Very good. Could you tell me who is a prophet according to your belief?? Is Adam a prophet? Is Noah a prophet? Is Abraham a prophet? Is Moses a prophet?? Is Jonas a prophet? Is John the Baptist a prophet? Please include some more, as much as you know. Thanks.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic