IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What is the definition of a prophet?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is the definition of a prophet?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is the definition of a prophet?
    Posted: 03 July 2007 at 12:51pm

The Bible tells us:

A true prophet will not make false predictions. If a prophet is of God, the things he or she says will come to pass. However, accuracy alone does not automatically qualify a person as a true prophet. Deuteronomy 13:1-3 warns that false prophets can give signs that will come to pass and then use their influence to lead people to follow other gods. A true prophet must lead people to worship God according to the Bible.

To whom does the Lord reveal His final plans?

Amos 3:7  Surely the Lord God will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets.

Will there be both true and false prophets in the last days?

Matthew 24:11  And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.

Yes, there will be both true and false prophets in the end time. The Scriptures also teach that prophets can be either men or women.

What types of false prophets are specifically condemned in the Bible?

"An observer of times [astrologer]." Deuteronomy 18:10.

"An enchanter [magician]." Deuteronomy 18:10.

"A witch [female psychic]." Deuteronomy 18:10.

"A charmer [person who casts spells or charms]." Deuteronomy 18:11.

"A consulter with familiar spirits [spirit medium]." Deuteronomy 18:11.

"A wizard [male psychic]." Deuteronomy 18:11.

"A necromancer [person who claims to consult with the dead]." Deuteronomy 18:11.
Deuteronomy 18:9-12 says that all who do these things are an "abomination" to the Lord. For this reason, Christians should have nothing to do with them.

Will God's end-time church have the gift of prophecy?

Revelation 12:17  And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Revelation 19:10 I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy

In what ways does God speak to a true prophet?

Numbers 12:6, 8  If there be a prophet among you, I the Lord will make myself known unto him in a vision, and will speak unto him in a dream. ... With him will I speak mouth to mouth.

Zechariah 4:1 And the angel that talked with me came again, and waked me, as a man that is wakened out of his sleep.

The Lord speaks to His prophets by visions, in dreams, face to face, and through angels. Crystal balls, palm readings, tea leaf deciphering, star gazing, and claiming to talk with the dead are not God's methods of communicating with a prophet.

Are miracles definite evidence of a true prophet?

Revelation 16:14  For they are the spirits of demons, working miracles, which go forth unto the kings of the earth and of the whole world.

No, miracles are not proof that someone is a true prophet. They prove only one thing--supernatural power. But supernatural power may come either from God or from Satan. That is why the Lord tells us: "Believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world." 1 John 4:1.

What is the most important test of a prophet?

Isaiah 8:20  To the Law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.

The "law and the testimony" was an Old Testament expression for "Bible." In other words, a message from someone who claims to have a prophetic utterance from God must be compared with the Bible. We must test the prophet by the Bible, and not the Bible by the prophet. Any true prophet of God will always agree 100 percent with Scripture. This is the true test.

What is the second test of a prophet?

1 John 4:2  Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God.

A prophet of God must acknowledge and teach the truth about Jesus Christ--that He was God in human form. True prophets must also exalt Jesus, not themselves. Most false prophets seek to draw attention away from God's Word and to their own ideas.

What is the third test of a prophet?

Matthew 7:16  Ye shall know them by their fruits.

This does not mean that the prophet will be perfect. God's prophets have always had faults. However, there must be consistency between what true prophets teach and the lives they live.

What is the fourth test of a prophet?

Jeremiah 28:9  When the word of the prophet shall come to pass, then shall the prophet be known, that the Lord hath truly sent him

A true prophet will not make false predictions. If a prophet is of God, the things he or she says will come to pass. However, accuracy alone does not automatically qualify a person as a true prophet. Deuteronomy 13:1-3 warns that false prophets can give signs that will come to pass and then use their influence to lead people to follow other gods. A true prophet must lead people to worship God according to the Bible.

minuteman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minuteman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2007 at 7:33pm

The subject matter has been spread out too much and become lengthy. A prophet of God is a one who receives messages from God and then he passes on those messages in the name of God to the people. The messages should be clear (not ambigous) and should be plenty, not just one or two. The quality and quantity is very important.

A false prophet will not achieve the quality and the quantity.

Also, according to the Quran and Bible OT (Deut 18:20) a false prophet will be killed. The church has now reworded that verse (18:20) saying the false prophet will die. that is not a correct statement. That is, because all prophets die. Whether they are true prophets or false prophets, they all die. The correct wording which used to be in the bible was "Even that prophet will be killed".

It is necessary to understand that any one declaring himself to be a messenger of God is trying to represent God. If he is a true prophet then it will be alright. It won't harm any one. But if he is a false man trying to pass messages from God, then God will look after him. God will not let him misguide the people. Whatever happens, it will not be our duty to harm that person. God will look after his affair.

The next sign is that a false prophet will not succeed. His prophesies will not come true and he will not succeed in his mission.

Andalus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andalus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2007 at 9:51pm

An extremely cursory approach to such an important idea.

It is very difficult to follow your work, as you try and mix the NT with the OT, and you bury unproven assumptions in your work.

As an example, in your second test, you stated:

What is the second test of a prophet?

1 John 4:2  Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God.

A prophet of God must acknowledge and teach the truth about Jesus Christ--that He was God in human form. True prophets must also exalt Jesus, not themselves. Most false prophets seek to draw attention away from God's Word and to their own ideas.

This is Christian theological doctrine, not a "truth". You cannot expect me, or any non Christian, to believe that a prophet must agree with 1 John? If everyone held this belief as true, then we would be Christians. My reply would be, "Gee, I did not read 1 John! What can I say? I am astounded Buddy! See you at church on sunday!". 

1) I reject 1 John and ask you to authenticate this as having an authority from Jesus(or from any author that knew Jesus). You have an unproven, buried assumption about the validty of 1 John, and Christian doctrine.

2) I do not believe Jesus was divine, which is yet another assumption you buried in this theological hyperbole.

I say that any man who claims Jesus, or anything of this world is God, is false.

Moses did not teach of Jesus, and never prayed to him.

Prophet Muhammad (saw)

1) brought miracles

2) abolished idolatry

3) brought a message that was consistant with all other prophets and messengers

4) gave prophecy

If he had taught that Jesus was a godman, then he would not only have fulfilled your Christian twist on prophethood (1 John), but then he would be a Christian and we would not be having this conversation.

Originally posted by buddyman buddyman wrote:

The Bible tells us:

Edited by Andalus
A feeling of discouragement when you slip up is a sure sign that you put your faith in deeds. -Ibn 'Ata'llah
http://www.sunnipath.com
http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/
http://www.pt-go.com/
buddyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2007 at 12:05pm

Moses did not preach or teach about Mohammed. Moses did preach about a coming prophet. In case you forgot let me refresh your memory. Once the Israelites were delivered from Egyptian bondage, God gave Moses the 10 commandments, correct? Didn't the Israelites get angry and ask Moses why God only spoke to him? Yes... So then God told them, ok I'll talk to the people. he told them to be prepared, etc. When they all lined up to talk to God, they couldn't bear it, could they. So god then promised a prophet from amoun their own, correct?

Jesus

Some of the Prophecies that were fulfilled by Jesus' first advent

Born of a virgin: Isaiah 7:14

"Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel." Isaiah 7:14

Born in Bethlehem: Micah 5:1-2

"Now gather thyself in troops, O daughter of troops: he hath laid siege against us: they shall smite the judge of Israel with a rod upon the cheek.

But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting." Micah 5:1-2

Preceded by Elijah: Malachi 4:5-6 )

"Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the LORD:

And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse." Malachi 4:5-6

Preceded by a messenger: Malachi 3:1

"Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the LORD:

And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse." Malachi 4:5-6

Be anointed with the Spirit of God: Isaiah 11:2 Isaiah 61:1, Psalm 45:7

"Thou lovest righteousness, and hatest wickedness: therefore God, thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows." Psalms 45:7

"And the spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD;" Isaiah 11:2

"The spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;" Isaiah 61:1

Anointed on time: Daniel 9:25  

"Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times." Daniel 9:25

Had a healing ministry: Isaiah 42:6-7

Thus saith God the Lord, He that created the heavens, and stretched them out; He that spread forth the earth, and that which cometh out of it; He that giveth breath unto the people upon it, And spirit to them that walk therein:

I the Lord have called Thee in righteousness, And will hold Thine hand, And will keep Thee, and give Thee for a covenant of the people, For a light of the Gentiles;

To open the blind eyes, To bring out the prisoners from the prison,
And them that sit in darkness out of the prison house." Isaiah 42:5-7

Adored by children: Psalm 8:2

"Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength because of thine enemies, that thou mightest still the enemy and the avenger." Psalms 8:2

Adored by great persons: Psalm 72:10-11

"Yea, all kings shall fall down before him: all nations shall serve him." Psalms 72:11

The wise men from the East were philosophers. They belonged to a large and influential class that included men of noble birth, and comprised much of the wealth and learning of their nation. Among these were many who imposed on the credulity of the people. Others were upright men who studied the indications of Providence in nature, and who were honored for their integrity and wisdom. Of this character were the wise men who came to Jesus.

The light of God is ever shining amid the darkness of heathenism. As these magi studied the starry heavens, and sought to fathom the mystery hidden in their bright paths, they beheld the glory of the Creator. Seeking clearer knowledge, they turned to the Hebrew Scriptures. In their own land were treasured prophetic writings that predicted the coming of a divine teacher. Balaam belonged to the magicians, though at one time a prophet of God; by the Holy Spirit he had foretold the prosperity of Israel and the appearing of the Messiah; and his prophecies had been handed down by tradition from century to century. But in the Old Testament the Saviour's advent was more clearly revealed. The magi learned with joy that His coming was near, and that the whole world was to be filled with a knowledge of the glory of the Lord.

The wise men had seen a mysterious light in the heavens upon that night when the glory of God flooded the hills of Bethlehem. As the light faded, a luminous star appeared, and lingered in the sky. It was not a fixed star nor a planet, and the phenomenon excited the keenest interest. That star was a distant company of shining angels, but of this the wise men were ignorant. Yet they were impressed that the star was of special import to them. They consulted priests and philosophers, and searched the scrolls of the ancient records. The prophecy of Balaam had declared, "There shall come a Star out of Jacob, and a Scepter shall rise out of Israel." Num. 24:17. Could this strange star have been sent as a harbinger of the Promised One? The magi had welcomed the light of heaven-sent truth; now it was shed upon them in brighter rays. Through dreams they were instructed to go in search of the newborn Prince.

Numbered with transgressors: Isaiah 53:12

"Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors." Isaiah 53:12

Interceded for transgressors: Isaiah 53:12

"Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors." Isaiah 53:12

While the soldiers were doing their fearful work, Jesus prayed for His enemies, "Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do." His mind passed from His own suffering to the sin of His persecutors, and the terrible retribution that would be theirs. No curses were called down upon the soldiers who were handling Him so roughly. No vengeance was invoked upon the priests and rulers, who were gloating over the accomplishment of their purpose. Christ pitied them in their ignorance and guilt. He breathed only a plea for their forgiveness,--"for they know not what they do."

buddyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2007 at 12:11pm

Moses did not teach of Jesus, and never prayed to him.

Prophet Muhammad (saw)

1) brought miracles

2) abolished idolatry

3) brought a message that was consistant with all other prophets and messengers

4) gave prophecy

1) Mohammed brought miracles....Satan uses every conceivable approach to deceive and destroy people. His demons can appear and pose as righteous people, even clergymen. And Satan will appear as a glorious angel of light with power to call fire down from heaven. He will impersonate Jesus. But you have been warned, so don't fall for it. When Jesus comes, every eye will see Him (Revelation 1:7). He will remain in the clouds and not even touch the earth (1 Thessalonians 4:17).

2) abolished idolatry - so why does a crescent moon represent Islam?

3) brought a message consitant with othe prophets...that is FALSE

4) gave prophecy - which ones?

buddyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2007 at 12:13pm

Is Jesus Fully God?

As we compare Scripture definitions for God with the Bible record of Jesus, we see the characteristics of Jehovah are also ascribed to Jesus. Note these powerful examples:

• He is self-existent (John 1:1�4; 14:6); only God is self-existent (Psalm 90:2).
  • Jesus defines Himself as eternal. �I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty� (Revelation 1:8).
  • He is, and has, eternal life (1 John 5:11, 12, 20).
  • He is all-powerful (Revelation 1:8).
  • He created all things (John 1:3). �In the beginning God created the heaven and the
    earth� (Genesis 1:1). �For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him� (Colossians 1:16 NKJV).
  • The Father even calls Jesus God. �But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a scepter of righteousness is the scepter of thy kingdom� (Hebrews 1:8).
  • Jesus is able to forgive sin (Luke 5:20, 21); The Bible says only God can forgive sin (Isaiah 43:25).
  • Jesus accepted worship that according to the Ten Commandments is reserved only for the Almighty (Matthew 14:33). �And as they went to tell his disciples, behold, Jesus met them, saying, �All hail.� And they came and held him by the feet, and worshipped him� (Matthew 28:9). Upon seeing the risen Savior, the converted skeptic, Thomas, confessed, �My Lord and my God!� (John 20:26�29).
  • Even the angels worship Jesus. �And again, when he bringeth in the first begotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him� (Hebrews 1:6).
  • The Scriptures also teach that only God knows the thoughts of a man�s heart (1 Kings 8:39). Yet Jesus consistently knew what people were thinking, �for he knew what was in man� (John 2:25). �Nathanael said to Him, �How do You know me?� Jesus answered and said to him, �Before Philip called you, when you were under the fig tree, I saw you�� (John 1:48 NKJV).
  • Through the Spirit, Jesus is omnipresent. �Lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age� (Matthew 28:20 NKJV). �For I am with you, and no one will attack you to hurt you; for I have many people in this city� (Acts 18:10 NKJV).
  • He has power to give life, and even resurrected Himself. �No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again� (John 10:18). �I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live� (John 11:25).

Therefore, by considering the primary definitions of God, and seeing that Jesus fits every one of those definitions, obviously, Jesus must be eternal God.

buddyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2007 at 12:15pm
The names of God reveal attributes of His nature. God has a long-established habit of using various names to describe a person�s character. Jacob earned his name that means �swindler� when he practiced deception to steal his father�s blessing away from his brother Esau (Genesis 27:35, 36). At his conversion, Jacob wrestled with the angel and insisted on the blessing of God. Then his name was changed to �Israel,� which means �a prince with God� (Genesis 32:26�28).
     Likewise, the names for God found in Genesis and elsewhere tell us volumes about our Creator. �And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness� (Genesis 1:26). The Hebrew word here for God is Elohim. It is a plural noun that is used more than 2,700 times in the Old Testament. This means that inspired authors preferred to use Elohim about 10 times more than the singular form �El� when they described God. Even in the Old Testament book of Daniel, we see a picture of the Father and the Son as two separate persons. �I was watching in the night visions, And behold, One like the Son of Man, Coming with the clouds of heaven! He came to the Ancient of Days, And they brought Him near before Him� (Daniel 7:13). The Son of man, Jesus, is seen coming before the Ancient of Days�who is, obviously, God the Father.
The New Testament writings are sprinkled with this concept of one God with three united, fully divine persons. The apostle Paul wrote that there were three divine persons: �There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; One Lord, one faith, one baptism, One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all� (Ephesians 4:4�6).
     Paul frequently referred to the three separate persons of the Godhead. �The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all� (2 Corinthians 13:14). �How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?� (Hebrews 9:14).
     Revelation opens by introducing the three persons of the Godhead. �From the seven Spirits who are before His throne, and from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the firstborn from the dead, and the ruler over the kings of the earth. To Him who loved us and washed us from our sins in His own blood, and has made us kings and priests to His God and Father, to Him be glory and dominion forever and ever� (Revelation 1:4�6 NKJV).
     In addition, we clearly see three distinct persons at the baptism of Jesus. �And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased� (Matthew 3:16,17).
     If Jesus is the only person in the Godhead, where did the voice come from that declared, �This is my beloved Son�? Did He trisect Himself into a voice from heaven, the dove wafting down through the sky, and His body on the bank of the river? No. This was not simply a clever act of holy smoke and mirrors, but rather a regal reunion revealing the truth of the trinity. And on top of this, it is through the shared authority of these three persons that we are commissioned to baptize. �Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost� (Matthew 28:19).
buddyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2007 at 12:17pm
Most of the confusion regarding the number of beings composing the Godhead springs from a simple misunderstanding of the word �one.� Simply put, �one� in the Bible does not always mean numerical quantity. Depending on the Scripture, �one� can often mean unity.
     We see this principle established very early in Scripture. �Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh� (Genesis 2:24, emphasis added). �One flesh� here does not mean that a married couple melt into one human after their wedding, but rather they are to be united into one family. Jesus prayed that the apostles would be one, saying, �And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one: I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in one� (John 17:22, 23).
     We need to keep in mind that when Moses said, �The Lord is one,� Israel was surrounded with polytheistic nations that worshiped many gods that were constantly involved in petty bickering and rivalry (Deuteronomy 6:4), whereas the God who created is composed of three separate beings who are perfectly united in their mission of saving and sustaining their creatures. As the Spirit is executing the will of both the Father and Son, it is His will also.
     �For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one� (1 John 5:7). Granted, it is a brain exercise to grasp that one God (�He�) is also, and equally, �They.� Like one rope with three united strands, the three persons of the Father, Son, and Spirit make up the one God.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic