IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Youth
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 10 Things Every Muslim in West Should Do  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

10 Things Every Muslim in West Should Do

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2005 at 10:23am

Assalamu alaikum,

You are so right, Sister Nausheen, about those who find it hard to live without their families finding it difficult to live somewhere else.  I suppose people have to weigh all the pros and cons with great care. 

In some countries people can find a freedom to actually practice and live their Islam freer than where they came from.  For others, the "bad" things about the west far outweigh the freedoms.  Either way, we cannot just all leave because some here do not like us!

There is no doubt that it is very difficult to raise Muslim children in the west, and getting harder all the time.  I feel very sorry for my Muslim friends here with children - they are constantly freting over one thing or another with their kids.  At least "back home" they would have their families to fall back on and people to set a good example as role models for their children.  Where to find that here?

I do believe that Muslims will continue to increase in the west, but it is not for everyone, that is for sure.  I pray that if you cannot go back, that Allah will grant you strength to raise your children as good Muslims here.

Peace, ummziba.

Edited by ummziba
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2005 at 5:56am

Auzubillahi minash shaitan ir rajeem,

Bismillah ir rahman ir rahim,

Assalamualikum wa rahmatullah wa barkatuhu,

Originally posted by Ummziba Ummziba wrote:

I do believe that Muslims will continue to increase in the west, but it is not for everyone, that is for sure.  I pray that if you cannot go back, that Allah will grant you strength to raise your children as good Muslims here.

Yup, I too believe the same. My concern is that they hold fast to the right religion, insha allah. I really take heart in the reverts who are so sincerely holding the rope of allah, masha allah.

Islam has been fabricated in various beliefs all over the world. It is getting harder for the coming generation to weed the good from bad, or take what is right leaving the rest. The story is same everywhere. In some places the problem is less gross than at others, that is is only variable. I might have given the impression that bak home all are very religous, well that is not what I think, but I guess when it is easier to share ur trouble with a couple of like minded people, the burden gets lesser. Perhaps that is what your muslim friends think about the ambience back at home.

Jazak allah khair sister, for all the prayers and kind words for me. We are always in need of duas, and barakah from Allah. Insha allah, everyone's place of abode and substenence is thru the decree of Allah, so I will also get my share as He pleases, and where He wishes to settle us.

Maa salaama,

Nausheen

<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
chrisrobin View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2005 at 6:37am

it must be very uncomfortable live to be religious isn't it?

I think it must be so time (and maybe also money) consuming. how do you cope with it?

ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2005 at 7:20am

Hello Chrisrobin,

It is not at all uncomfortable to live a religious life, it is serene and joyful.  There are hardships, but these are considered a test from Allah, and Allah never gives His creatures more burden than they can bear.

Time consuming?  I would rather spend my time doing things that please Allah and worshipping Allah, than wasting my time doing things that bear no relevence on my relationship with Him.

Costly (money wise)?  Not at all.  Since becoming a Muslim and realizing the uselessness of the consumer driven materialistic secularism of society, I spend way, way less money than I ever did before.  Which is a real bonus - more for charity and helping others, which reaps such great rewards spiritually.

How do I cope with it?  I can only speak for myself, but, I will tell you that sincere prayer and sincere striving to please Allah brings great rewards in this life and insha'allah (God willing), in the Afterlife as well.

To sum up, since becoming a Muslim, my life has changed completely.  Yes it was very hard (especially at first), yes there were tears, but, there were never doubts.  Looking back, I have no regrets, except that I wish I had found Islam earlier in my life.

I hope this bit of insight helps to answer your questions.

Peace, ummziba.

ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2005 at 7:32am

Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatulah wa barakatu, Sister Nausheen,

I think your point about reverts in the west is a very valid one.  There are more and more of them all the time.  Reverts, for the most part, are so enthusiatic about Islam.  They don't carry any of the cultural, geographical or familial (local customs) baggage that born Muslims do.

I feel that as the number of reverts swells, so too will the strength of Islam in the west.  Insha'allah, someday, Islam will be considered "just another religion" in the west - I mean, not as strange or different, but as common place.  When this happens, our children won't feel so different and will have many more role models to look up to.

May Allah grant all the "western" Muslims strength and courage to live Islam as it should be and patience to know the religion of Allah will endure and overcome all others.

Peace, ummziba.

Ali Zaki View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ali Zaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2005 at 10:44am

Salam to Sister Nausheen,

As a "W.A.S.M." (White, Anglo-Saxon, Muslim) whose family has lived in California (U.S.A.) for nine generations, and a revert to Islam with a Lebanese wife I can understand your feelings.

Although I was born, raised and have lived all my life in the U.S., I feel more "at home" in a Muslim country. On many occassions, I have felt sad and desperate when my plane left the runaway at Beirut International Airport (Lebanon) headed to my "home" (namely Los Angeles, Ca.). It is natural to feel more at home among people that share your values and perspective. A person that re-verts to Islam in the West becomes a stranger in his own hometown.

I would have (most likely) already "gone back home" if is wasn't for one thing, namely, Jihad Al-Akbar. In Islam, the purpose of Islam is not to attain a comfort and peace, it's about jihad, Jihad, JIHAD. I believe that Muslims in the U.S. have a tremendous (maybe historic) opportunity to learn and teach others about Islam. In Lebanon, there is an oversupply of knowledgable Islamic scholars. In the West, there is a severe shortage of people that are knowledgable about Islam. This gives even individuals (non-Scholars who are sincerely seeking to learn more) like me an opportunity to help the cause of Islam.

I am not here to judge anyones decisions, and I wish you the baraka of Allah (s.w.a.) wherever you decide to go. I would, however, like to encourage you to stay (if you can) as the U.S. and Canada need more knowledgeable and sincere Muslims like yourself.

Salam

"The structure of faith is supported by four pillars endurance, conviction, justice and jihad."

Imam Ali (a.s.)
ZamanH View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZamanH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2005 at 11:30am

Originally posted by Nausheen Nausheen wrote:

But they have lost most of what belongs to them. Its not that they are not religious, but there is something missing ... can't put my fingre exactly.

People in general adopt the cultures of the land they immigrate to. Mulsims who have settled in the WEst have acted similarly, although, Western "culture" is thoroughly unislamic. As far as I know, they have become totally Western in their outlook. Yet, they are not accepted by teh Westerners as their own (deservedly so,). Therefore, they cosmetically follow their own cultures and religion, to pretend to each other that they are on the same side.

Edited by ZamanH
An enemy of an enemy is a fickle friend.
There will be more women in hell than men.
..for persecution is worse than the slaughter of the enemy..(Quran 2:191)
Heaven lies under mother's feet
habebe39 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote habebe39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2005 at 10:56am
That was excellent, especially # 6. very true!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic