IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Science & Technology
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - God vs. Allah (it’s in the name)  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

God vs. Allah (it�s in the name)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Community Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2005 at 11:27am
also the word kafir which means also one who is a farmer, it implies covering a seed with soil, kufr-cover, also meaning disbelief and ungratefulness.
unity1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unity1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2005 at 3:57am

The word "God" is used for "Allah" but according to the research of some Muslim Scholars, the word "God" is not remotely refering to the Arabic word "Allah" because this English word "God" is not only used for the Almighty Creator but is also used in other sense like, "Godmother", "Godfather" or God"Child".

But the Arabic word "Allah" is not used with any name of any being,it is a unique word which truely refers to the attributes of the Supreme Creator.

The English word "God" doesnot explicitly refers to the attributes of "Allah".

Regards,

who call themselves superior are actually inferior in the eyes of Allah.Those who call themselves slaves of Allah are superior not only in the eyes of Allah but also superior in the eyes of man.
ChrisNo1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisNo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2005 at 5:24pm
A Name is just a name, just because you call God Allah and I call God God does not mean anything! God knows his name in every language, and understand all language. God will not give you points because you call him Allah, God weighs the Heart!
AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 8:56am

Dear Bros,

As long as we communicate and understand as what we mean by word "God", I think, we can use this word, especially once we are in interfaith dialogues. Ofcourse, when we remember Him in our prayers, then we can use any attribute to call Him with. Rest God Knows the best.

unity1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unity1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2005 at 2:39am

Well,name is actually an identity which represents the being.Every living Being has a name that identifies it, in the similar way Al-Mighty Creator also has a name which we use in our prayer to call Him.

The real name of Al-mighty Creator is "Allah" ,its an Arabic word but different nations call Him by the name in their language to make it easy for them.

Hindus call Him by the name "Bhagwan", English Speaking people call Him by the name "God", and Arabs call Him by the name "Allah" since "Allah" is an Arabic word.

It is true that Al-Mighty Creator is called by the name "God" in English but this word "God" is not even remotely close to the meaning of "Allah".
The word "God" is not only used for Al-Mighty Creator,it is also used in other senses e.g,"Godmother","GodFather", "Godess" but we cannot use the word "Allah" along with other words, we cannot say "Allahmother" ,"Allahfather" or etc.
Therefore the word "Allah" is pure Arabic name of the Al-mighty Creator which cannot be amended or changed.

I hope this clarifies the issue.
Regards,

who call themselves superior are actually inferior in the eyes of Allah.Those who call themselves slaves of Allah are superior not only in the eyes of Allah but also superior in the eyes of man.
AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2005 at 7:54am

My dear bro Unity1,

I think there is no issue of changing or amending the name of Allah. Also, there is no issue of polythesitic view of godfather or godmother etc, though the terminology might exist. Also, a usual convention of capitalizing the word God exists for denoting the supreme infinite diety and significantly different than other terms such as god (lower case letters). Hence, its wrong to write Godfather but to say godfather etc. Its just a convention, how people can comfortably exchange ideas among each other. For discussion among muslims, this is no big an issue, as everyone knows what we mean by english word "Allah", though its actually an arabic word. Thus we made our convention to describe the same word in english language. Now, discussing among people of various background, another level of problem of familiarlity of this word comes in for sound understanding of the concept than sticking to the unfamiliar term usage and implying that this Allah is totally different than their concept of infinite diety (this is espcially true for the case of ahl-lil-kitab non-muslims). Hence the emphasis then shifts on how to make them understand if they don't know of this word. Its not that word God is considered replacement of word Allah, but used as a tool for others (non-muslims of western world) to understand the concept of Islam.  

hkrespect View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hkrespect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2005 at 7:13am

Allah is one

Allah is unique

Allah has no plurals

i think as muslims we shud when amongst ourselves, refrain from using god, gods, goddess, goddesses.

but for dawah purposes, using word god is ok, diety, lord, etc etc.

one time arabic was the language of the world, it still is the most beautiful and complex, but english has become dominant.

hk
Noah View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2005 at 4:43am
Peace family

Here is some information i can provide for you.

God, comes from astrotheology. Most relegion on the face of the earth is astrotheology in disquise. God, is the dog star sirious spelled backwards. As is christ the oil. Christ comes from kristos meaning oil. and Lord comes from lard, or fat. oil, see? Does this mean that i will not refer to God as my Lord? no because today it has another meaning, and it means someone that are my master, my keeper, my protector, me leader. my Lord.

YHVH pronounced Jaweh is a volcano god. The Bible certainly hints in several places that it is a volcanic spirit. god (YHVH) was "a pillar of fire by night, and a pillar of smoke by day". thats a volcano freind.
Thats YHVH...

As for Allah, i see it comming from illah, The Illah. The big illah, the Real illah, Al Illah, Allah. Its just a term, that became a name, with a million good reasons as to why. God is perfectly fitting when we are speaking english, because the meaning of the word imply that there is only one.

god =a god, can be used in other words aswell.
God = The God

Peace
Noah

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic