IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Science & Technology
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - God vs. Allah (it’s in the name)  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

God vs. Allah (it�s in the name)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Community Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: God vs. Allah (it�s in the name)
    Posted: 19 May 2005 at 4:07pm

The first sound a living baby makes when it comes into the world is a cry "Aaa", it is the easiest sound to make, all it takes is opening the mouth, breathing out and using the vocal cords. Since this is the easiest sound to make, the "A" is, i think, the first letter pronounced by a human being because of it's easy and basic characteristics, all one has to do is open the mouth, breath out and use the vocal cords. Also a point that affirms this is that the letter "A" is the first letter in most, if not all Alphabets. The sound "LL" is made when you push your tongue upwards in your mouth, breath out and use your vocal cords. Allaah as we call Him is above everything and everyone, so upward, up. The "A" is the first letter and the "H" is the last letter, because when one is using his vocal cords the lungs are running out of air, and when the lungs are nearly depleted(empty) one can hear the "hhh" sound. When you witness someone dieing you usually can hear "the last breath" the "hhh" sound. It is therefor the last letter. Allah is The First and The Last, above everything and everyone. And His name "Allah", i believe, is the oldest name used for Him by mankind, and the most logical, if one understands.

The name God comes from old english, i wonder about it's true origin, this name is used by many as a name for the One and Only (god). The latin name is "Dios" which some claim has it's origin in the name "Zeus" a god in roman methology, and in french it is "Deux". I have to say i do not know much about these other names that are used, but how would you personally feel if someone called you by another name then your name. You would correct him right? cause usually it happens unintentionally, out of ignorance, So you correct them. If you did not get the logics behind the name Allah, this will not make any sense to you probebly, it might even make you feel attacked, but that was not my intention at all, so i sincerely advice you, urge you to read it again and use your reason.

[Say: "Call upon Allah, or call upon Arrahman(The Merciful), by whatever name ye call upon Him, which ever you call, to Him belong the most beautiful names". Neither speak thy prayer aloud, nor speak it in a low tone, but seek a middle course between.] Koran chapter "The Journey by night" (Al Israa) 17 verse 110.

The name "God" is that a beautiful name? what if it belongs to some kind of demon or evil spirit, and people just adopted that name as His? i do not claim this is the fact, because i do not have the knowledge about this, but to me it would be better to call Him The Merciful, it describes His attribute of mercy, which is greater then anyone elses, He is after all, above all and everyone, and this means also in the good and sound attributes, so no one is more merciful then Him. Arrahmaan.

Edited by Community
kim! View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kim! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2005 at 5:30pm

Do you mean God/Allah is easily personally offended? And since the name Allah was only revealed 1400 years ago - were all the religious people before then offending God? You can't seriously be suggesting that God is so precious that the differences between God / Allah / That-Nice-Big-Bloke-In-The-Sky-With-The-Impressive-Beard would actually worry him? He's not really crying into his Cosmic Coffee Cup everytime someone says something other than "Allah", is he?

Surely as long as people are worshipping Him, being respectful, being nice to each other and following a few rules, does it matter what name they use?

Kim... 

Edited by kim!
Community View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Community Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2005 at 7:51pm

He is The Merciful no one is more merciful then Him, He is also The Patient(Assaboor).

The name Allah has existed before 1400 years ago which i assume you mentioned as being aproximatly the time in which the koran was sent down. We know this since even the pagans knew Him by this name, but they worshipped other gods beside Him.

He is also The Truth(Al Haqq) so truth leads to Him, and falsehood desolves and vanishes when truth touches it. Discribing Him as having an impressive beard is a falsehood since He is unlike His creation. Some may claim that the bible says He created us in His image, and this is true in these following qualities: sight, hearing, knowing, loving, mercy, forgiveness etc. the difference between Him and us is that He is perfect and the ultimate in these qualities, His sight for instance is perfect, and He sees everything while we do not. He hears everything, we do not,He knows everything and we do not. So in a way we are created in His image, but we are limited while He is not, and hair is a protection for the body, and protection is only for the weak, so He does not need protection, i m sure you understand this.

And Allah does not hold it against someone if one does something out of ignorance, but He does if one turns away from truth after it reaches him, because then this person disliked the truth, and turned to something else, this means that he gave more importance to something else then the truth, he loved something more then loved Allah(The Truth, Al Haqq). And loving something else more then Him, leads to a "broken heart", because everything comes to an end, and when the heart is attached to something that suddenly comes to an end, it "breaks" except if it is attached to Him who is Eternal, this heart never breaks, it never will be in pain, because The One which it loves is eternal, see pain is a warning signal, when you put your hand in the fire, you feel pain so you pull it out of the fire, a warning signal (do not do that, stop it) same with the pain of a broken heart.(do not love something else more then Him because it will hurt).

Are you sure you fully understand what i wrote since you obviously believed that the name Allah came into existance only 1400 years ago?

kim! View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kim! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2005 at 8:35pm

Don't take my beard comment seriously, I was just making fun of the stereotypical view many people have of the image of God, but was also just emphasising the fact that many different peoples have different words meaning "God/Allah".   

And I also realise that people must have been using the word "Allah" more than 1400 years ago because Arabic has been around along time. But I assume 1400 years ago was the first time that particular name was made "official", if you see what I mean.

Kim...

Community View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Community Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2005 at 11:56pm

I see what you are saying, also Abraham had 2 sons Ishmael and Isaac, Ishmael lived in the desert and out of him came Kedar and out his decendants came Muhammed. And out of the decendants of Isaac came, amongst others Judah, Israel, Moses, David, Solomon and Jesus. But the people of Israel some time in history made it forbidden to pronounce the name of The One "god" because of extreemism in refference to the law of not taking His name (in vain)  and eventually they claimed they did not know His name anymore, and claim that the letters JEHOVA is what remained....and where they came up with these letters is unknown to me, what i think happened is that Abraham used the name Allah and taught it to his childeren, but the decendants of Isaac eventually did not use His name anymore for reasons i described above but Ishmael remained using His name Allah.

Community View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Community Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2005 at 12:42am
Say: "I am but a man like yourselves, it has been inspired(revealed) to me, that your god(ilaah) is one god(ilaah). so whoever expects and wishes to meet his Lord, let him do a mending work and not associate in the worship of his Lord anyone . [Koran chapter 18 "the cave" al kahf verse 110]

Edited by Community
kim! View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kim! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2005 at 12:49am

Does "Al Kahf" mean "the cave"? (They look/sound similar)

I _love_ it when one discovers that words from different languages are related.  All that interconnectedness and history and stuff.

Kim...

Community View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Community Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2005 at 11:23am
yes al kahf means the cave, here is another more interesting connection between arabic an english, noon is an arabic letter it looks like a half circle with a dot above it right in between the two ends of the upside down "C"(kind of hard to get maybe but if you tilt this "C" with the open part of it upwards and put a dot on top right in the middle between the two ends of the half cirlce " C ", this is what the  letter Noon looks like). Noon is when the sun is right in the middle of it s rising and setting point (the dot you find on the letter noon situated in the center between the to ends of the half circle), the number value of this letter is 50, 50 being half of 100. Strange if you think about it....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic