IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Quran & Sunnah
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Virtues of Memorising the Holy Qu’ran  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Virtues of Memorising the Holy Qu’ran

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Virtues of Memorising the Holy Qu’ran
    Posted: 06 May 2007 at 6:56am

As'salamualaikum Wa Rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu,

Virtues of memorising Qur'an :

IN THE DUNYA
The Hafiz of the Quran has such a rank in this world that he is one of only two types of people considered worthy of envy.

Under the Chapter of the Blessedness of the Holy Quran's keeper in Sahih Bukhari is the following hadith:

"Abu Huraira t narrated that Rasulullah r said: There is no jealousy but of two men: A man whom Allah has taught the Quran and he recites is during the hours of the night and during the hours of the day, and his neighbor listens to him and says: "I wish I had been given what has been given to so-and-so, in order that I might do what he does; and a man whom Allah has given wealth and he spends it on what is just and right, whereupon another man may say: "I wish I had been given what so-and-so has been given, for then I would do what he does" (Sahih Bukhari).

In a riwaayah from Tirmidhi listed in Muntakhab Ahadith is the following detail of the reward for reciting each letter of the Quran:

Abdullah ibn Masud t narrated that Rasulullah r said: He who reads one letter of the Quran it (becomes) for him a good deed, and a single good deed is rewarded (by Allah)  by ten times the like thereof. I am not saying that Alif-Lam-Mim is (just) one word, but that Alif  is a (separate) letter (word), Lam is a (separate) letter (word), and Mim is a (separate) letter (word). (Tirmidhi)

Mufti  Ebrahim Desai (db) writes:

�For every alphabet of the Quran he had recited, he earned a minimum of ten rewards.  The maximum reward is best known by Allah U. The Quran has 6666 verses. Every verse has many alphabets.  Imagine the number of alphabets a Hafiz recites. On an average of 3 alphabets per verse a Hafiz will recite approximately, 20,000 (twenty thousand) alphabets in the entire Quran. That multiplied by ten rewards per alphabet is 200,000 (two hundred thousand).  In the course of memorising the Quran, a Hafiz makes great  sacrifices. He recites one verse many times.  If he had recited one verse at least 10 times, the reward of completing the Quran only once will be two million.  Imagine how many times thereafter, a Hafiz recites the Quran, how many Taraweehs he performs, the rewards of all that is far beyond our very limited comprehension. Probably, mathematical figures will be exhausted but not the infinite rewards of Allah U for a Hafiz-ul-Quran.�

In addition to the rewards one accrues for the hereafter there are also benefits which are become manifest in the dunya also:

�Hadrat Abu Hurairah t says: In the house where the Quran is read, the household members increase, virtues and blessings multiply, angels descend upon the house and Shaytaan quits the home.� (Fazail-e-Quran)

ON THE DAY OF QIYAMAH
Mufti  Ebrahim Desai (db) has written:

�Mu'aadh al-Juhani narrates that Rasulullah r said, 'Whosoever recites the Quran and practices upon its injunctions, the reciter's parents will be given a crown on the day of Qiyaamat.  The brightness of that crown will be more intense than the brightness of the sun in your actual house.'

Rasulullah r further said, 'What do you think will be given to the Hafiz (reciter) of the Quran himself?'� (Mishkaat Vol I.)

Shaykh ul Hadith writes in Fazail-e-Quran that Hadhrat Umar t reports that Rasulullah r �Three persons are such as will have no fear of the horrors on the Day of Judgement, nor will they be required to render any account.  They will stroll merrily on mounds of musk until the people are relieved of rendering their account.  One is a person who learnt the Quran, merely seeking Allah�s U pleasure and therewith leads people in salaat  in a manner that they are pleased with him��

He writes further: �The severity, the horror, the dread and the miseries of the Day of Judgement are so great that a true Muslim is neither mindful nor unaware of them. To be relieved of those worries in any way on the Day of Judgement is a favor that surpasses thousands of blessings and millions of pleasures. The narrator of this hadith, Hadrat Abdullah Ibn Umar t is quoted as saying: �If I had not heard this hadith from Rasulullah r once, once again, and once again (he repeated it seven times), I would never have reported it."

TOWARDS JANNAH
Maulana Ashiq Ilahi (rah) writes that Hadrat Ali t reports that Rasulullah r said:

�Anyone who knows the Quran by heart and follows the lawful and the prohibited according to it, he will be sent to Heaven by Allah U.� (Tirmidhi).

He continues: �One who knows the Holy Quran by heart will be allowed to intercede for ten persons with success. But one should mention that the intercessor must be practicing the laws mentioned in the Quran and fulfilling all the demands of the Book of Allah U. (What Happens After Death)

It is narrated from Hadhrat Abdullah ibn Amr t  that Rasulullah r said: Allah U will say to a Hafiz (upon his death and on the day of Qiyaamat) 'Recite the Quran and (upon reciting each Verse) climb (a stage in Jannah) and continue reciting as you used to in the world as your abode in Jannah is upon the last verse you recite.' (Mishkaat vol.1 pg.186; Me'raaj)

Mufti Ebrahim Desai (db) commenting on this hadith states: �Obviously, the Hafiz will stop at the last verse of the Quran.  The  commentators of [this] Hadith have stated that the highest abode in Jannah is equivalent to the number of verses in the Qur'aan. Therefore, upon completing the recitation of the Quran, a Hafiz will be in highest abode of Jannah." 

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2007 at 6:58am

Memorising the Quran is a great virtuous deed. It will intercede for the one who memorises it and will also act as prevention for one to enter Hell-Fire. According to ahadith, it is also narrated that Allah will never put a person in Hell-Fire who has any part of the Quran in his heart.

The 'Golden Age', as described by the classical scholars is between the ages 5 to 23 years. Definitely the golden age is the best time to memorise the Quran as it is the peak of a person's memory. This age factor is a great bonus and aid for those wishing to memorise the Quran and should be utilised by the person immediately.

Below are 10 simple steps a person needs to practice in order to memorise the Quran fast and effectively:

1. Al-Ikhlas - Sincerity

The first step to ease the memorisation of the Quran is sincerity. The person must memorise the Quran for the sake of reward and to please Allah. Not to show off, aim to impress others or in order to get a Job (e.g. as Imaam of the Masjid).

2. Correct the pronunciation and recitation

Another factor that will help a person memorise the Quran is to correct the pronunciation and recitation of the Quran. This can be achieved by listening to a Qari whose style of recitation you like and makes you feel connected to the Quran.

3. Specify how many verses you want to memorise on a daily basis

For example, commit yourself to memorise 3, 5, 10, 20 verses per day.

If you give yourself a target to memorise 3 verses per day, read the three verses you have memorised along with the new three verses you are trying to memorise e.g. If you memorise 3 verses on one day, the next day you should memorise another 3 verses and repeat the verses you memorised the day before.

Another tactic to memorise the Quran is to keep repeating the verses at any opportunity with tajweed (tune). The tajweed will cause the person to enjoy the tune of recitation thus allowing the person to memorise that verse.

4. Do not exceed the limit of your day

If you have committed yourself to memorising 5 or 10 (for example) verses per day then do not exceed it.

Commit yourself to a regular number of verses you wish to memorise everyday and do not change this pattern.

5. Memorise from only one copy of the Quran

This is because in every Qur�an, the layout of the verses is different. If you memorise from one copy you will have a mental picture of the verse in your mind, whereas if you attempt to memorise from many different copies of the Quran, it could lead to confusion and difficulty in memorising the Quran.

6. Understanding is a mechanism of memorising

Understanding the verses will definitely increase memorisation and also khushoo (ritual fear and focus) during salah.

7. Do not go to another chapter until you finish the chapter you are on

Memorising the Quran in chapters is the best way to memorise the Quran as it will be easier to remember where you stopped last.

8. Do not listen to yourself all the time

It is advisable to recite in front of someone who is Hafiz ul Quran (who has memorised the Quran) as this will benefit the hafiz and he will correct him on any mistakes he makes.

9. Continuity - Always recite to yourself, wherever you are

It has been reported the Messenger Muhammad (saw) said that the Quran will run away from the tongue of a person faster than an untied camel. Make sure you are constantly reciting the Quran wherever you are e.g. on the bus, whilst travelling, relaxing at home etc.

10. Identify the patterns of the verses

The Quran is Mutashaabihaat, which means that it has a pattern. Verses often look and sound like each other, which is a great aid to memorising the Qur�an.

All these is a copy paste work not mine

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
Alwardah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2007 at 10:06am

As-Salamu-Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu

Masha Allah good articles. Jazakallahu Khairan for sharing them with us, brother.

I had these notes on file, so once again I am sharing my study notes, any comments or corrections will be appreciated.

Virtues of the Holy Qur'an

The Holy Qur'an is the LAST BOOK FROM THE CREATOR, and the ONLY REVEALED BOOK STILL IN ITS ORIGINAL FORM. All the other Books revealed from the Allah Subhanahu wa Ta�ala have being distorted over time by the order of kings, emperors, leaders and whoever did not approve of what was revealed.

�Verily, We, it is We Who have sent down the Dhikr (this Qur'an) and surely, We will guard it (from corruption.) (Surah Al-Hijr 15: 9)

The Qur�an is the Book of Allah revealed to Prophet Muhammad (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam), the Last Prophet of Allah. It is a confirmation and completion of the earlier Books of Allah revealed to other Prophets before him.

�It is He Who has sent down the Book (the Qur'an) to you (O Muhammad) with truth, confirming what came before it, and He sent down Taurat (Torah) and Injil (Gospel) (Surah Al-Imran 3: 3)

�O Mankind! Verily there has come to you a convincing proof (Prophet Muhammad) from your Lord, and We sent down to you a Manifest Light (this Qur'an) (Surah An-Nisa' 4: 174)

It was preserved in the hearts of Muslims during the time of the Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) and it is still preserved in the hearts of millions, and millions of Muslims today.

The Glorious Qur'an is the biggest miracle sent to mankind compared to all the other miracles given to Prophets before Prophet Muhammad. (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam). There is no other book in the world which is read and recited from memory more than the Holy Qur'an. Even if we take all the books available on the face of the earth; scientific nor non-scientific, fiction or non-fiction and compare how much they are read and studied, we will find that the Glorious Qur'an out weighs their sum total many times over. The majority of the Muslims are non-Arabs but they read the Glorious Qur'an with has much ease as the Arabs although they do not understand the meaning. This in turn encourages them to study the meanings and interpretation to increase their knowledge. There in no book, religious or otherwise which is recited from memory (from cover to cover) other than the Holy Qur'an. A vast number of non-Arab Muslim children aged 9 or 10 have already memorized the Holy Qur'an. This is the beauty and marvel of the Glorious Qur'an.

Narrated by Abu Hurairah (Radhi Allahu Anhu): The Prophet (Sallallahu 'Alayhi wa Sallam) said, "Every Prophet was given miracles because of which people believed, but what I have been given, is Divine Inspiration which Allah has revealed to me. So I hope that my followers will outnumber the followers of the other Prophets on the Day of Resurrection." (Al-Bukhari)

There is an Ayat in the Holy Qur'an stating that the Glorious Qur'an is easy to understand;

�And We have indeed made the Qur�an easy to understand and remember; then is there any that will receive warning.� (Surah Al-Qamar 54: 22)

This Ayah is repeated many times in this Surah.

The Glorious Qur'an is definitely the most Marvelous and Unique Book on earth. It talks to the scientist, the doctor, the economist, people of very profession and most importantly to the common man.

The Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) said, �Read the Qur'an for it shall come as an intercessor for its companion on the Day of Resurrection. (Muslim)

Narrated Abu Musa Al-Ashari (Radhi Allahu Anhu) that the Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) said, �The example of believer who recites the Qur'an and acts upon it, is like that of a citron which tastes good and smells good. And he who does not recite the Qur'an, but acts upon it , is like a date which is good in taste but has no smell. And the example of a hypocrite who recites the Qur'an is like a Raihana (plant) which smells good but tastes bitter and a hypocrite who does not recite the Qur'an is like the colocynth which tastes bitter and has no smell.� (Al-Bukhari)

Narrated Abdullah bin Umar (Radhi Allahu Anhu) that the Prophet (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) said, �Do not wish to be like except two men. A man whom Allah has given the knowledge of the Book and he recites it during the hours of the night and a man whom Allah has given wealth and he spends it in charity during the hours of the night and day.� (Al-Bukhari)

A person must fear Allah�s Punishment and at the same time hope for His Reward. The Prophet (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) said, �Recite the Qur'an and cry. If you cannot cry, then force yourself to be like crying.� (Ibn Majah)

�So when the Qur'an is recited, listen to it, and be silent that you may receive mercy.� (Surah Al-A'raf 7: 204)

Uthman ibn Affan (Radhi Allahu Anhu) said that the Prophet (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) said, �The best among you are those who learn the Qur'an and teach it.� (Al-Bukhari)

Abu Musa (Radhi Allahu Anhu)  narrated that the Messenger (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) said, � Keep on reciting the Qur'an for by Him in Whose Hand my life is, the Qur'an runs away (is forgotten) faster than camels that are released from their ropes.� (Al-Bukhari)

Narrated by Ibn Umar (Radhi Allahu Anhu): Allah's Messenger (Sallallahu 'Alayhi wa Sallam) said, "The example of the person who knows the Qur'an by heart is like the owner of tied camels. If he keeps them tied, he will control them, but if he releases them, they will run away." (Al-Bukhari)

Allah the Merciful states in the Glorious Qur'an And recite the Qur'an in a slow style� (Surah Al-Muzzammil 73:4)

Do not be hasty in reciting the Glorious Qur'an for the Messenger (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) said, �Whoever recites the Qur'an in less than three nights did not understand it.� (At-Tirmidhi)

Narrated by 'Abdullah bin 'Amr (Radhi Allahu Anhu): Allah's Messenger (Sallallahu 'Alayhi wa Sallam) said to me, "Recite the whole Qur'an in one month's time." I said, "But I have power (to do more than that)." He said, "Then finish the recitation of the Qur'an in seven days, and do not finish it in less than this period." (Al-Bukhari)

He (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) also ordered Abdullah bin Umar (Radhi Allahu Anhuma) to recite the entire Qur'an once very seven days.

Narrated by Qatada: Anas ibn Malik (Radhi Allahu Anhu) was asked, "How was the recitation (of the Qur�an) of the Prophet?' He replied, "It was characterized by the prolongation of certain sounds." He then recited: In the Name of Allah, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful prolonging the pronunciation of 'In the Name of Allah, 'the most Beneficent,' and 'the Most Merciful.� (Al-Bukhari)

In another Hadith it is stated that the Messenger (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) said, �He is not one of us who does not beautify the Qur'an with his voice.� (Al-Bukhari and Muslim.)

Narrated by Abdullah (Radhi Allahu Anhu): The Prophet (Sallallahu 'Alayhi wa Sallam) said, "Recite (and study) the Qur'an as long as you agree about its interpretation, but if you have any difference of opinion (as regards to its interpretation and meaning) then you should stop reciting it (for the time being)." (Al-Bukhari)

�And thus We have sent to you (O Muhammad) Ruh (a Revelation and a Mercy) of Our Command. You knew not what is the Book, nor what is Faith? But We have made it (this Qur'an) a light wherewith We guide whosoever of Our slaves We will. And verily you (O Muhammad) are indeed guiding (mankind) to the Straight Path (i.e. Islamic Monotheism) (Surah Ash-Shura 42: 52)

Make it a duty to read at least a portion of the Glorious Qur'an every day, even if it means a few Ayah only.

�And We send down of the Qur'an that which is a healing and a mercy to those who believe (in Islamic Monetheism) and it increases the Zalimun (wrongdoers) nothing but loss. (Surah Al-Isra� 17: 82)

I seek Allah�s forgiveness for any errors that I may have committed whilst presenting these notes. If what I have presented is correct it is entirely out of His Grace and Mercy, but if there are errors it is totally my fault or Shaitan�s whispers.

May Allah Subhanahu wa Ta�ala make us amongst the Ahlul-Qur'an and those whom He guided. Ameen!

Wa Alaikum Salam wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu

�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
"Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him is our return" (Surah Baqarah 2: 155)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic