IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islamic INTRAfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Quran and Hadith  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedQuran and Hadith

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Abeer23 View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2007 at 1:56am

The Qur'an is a book of Guidance.  Had every law been mentioned in detail it would have taken volumes.  In such a case it's memorization and preservation would have been difficult.  Allah (s.w.t) sent us a Prophet.  The answer to your question lies in the relationship between the Qur'an and sunnah of the Prophet (s.a.w) that we have in his ahadith.  I think your question is on the sunnahs 5th role, but I mentioned 1-4 just FYI.

1- the sunnah reiterates the injuctions of the Quran.  This one is obvious.  For example, the Qur'an tells us to establish daily prayers, and the Prophet (s.a.w) also ordered us to do the same.

2- The explanatory sunnah elaborates the concise injuctions of the Qur'an.  This is also obvious.  How to pray is not mentioned in the Qur'an, we find this only in the sunnah.

3-  The sunnah also specifies some general statement in the Quran.  For example, the Qur'an prohibits us from eating dead meat (this is a general statement).  The sunnah specifies this statement, saying we are allowed to eat the dead meat of the sea.

4-  The sunnah qualifies the unqualified in the Qur'an.  For example in the case of theft.  The Qur'an states the thief's hand should be cut off.  But obviously we don't cut off a persons hand because he stole a loaf of bread.  From the sunnah we know the amount that desereves this punishment.

5- The sunnah as an independent source of legislation.  There are different opinions among the scholars on this one.   I agree with those who put it as an independent source because examples can be found in the Qur'an.  The Prophet only commanded us in things by the command of Allah; this part of the sunnah is unrecited revelation.  Here goes a few examples:

a- (2:144)  Allah Says: "...and We appointed the Qibla to which thou wast used, only to test those who followed the Messenger from those who would turn on their heels (From the Faith)."

The first qibla for the Muslims was bayt al-maqdas then the ayah was revealed (i think 17 months later) telling the Muslim to turn thier faces to masjid al-haram.  Now in the above ayah, Allah ascribes the appointment of the first Qiblia to Himself.  However, there is NO AYAH IN THE QUR'AN that orders the muslims to face bait al-maqdas.  This order was recieved by the Prophet from Allah, and he ordered the Muslims to face bayt al-maqdas.  From this example you can see the legislative power of the sunnah (which is due to the fact that it is part of revelation).

2- (2:239) Allah says: " If ye fear (an enemy), pray on foot, or riding, (as may be most convenient), but when ye are in security, celebrate Allah's praises in the manner He has taught you, which ye knew not (before). "

This ayah is referring to salat (in time of war then peace).  This ayah states that Allah has taught us how to pray (the normal way).  There is no ayah in the Qur'an that specifies the procedure.  This is found only in sunnah, yet still Allah attributes it to Himself.  Again you can see the legislative power of the sunnah as a result of its divine source.

Bottom line, I see it as a source of law because of its soruce.  Allah has already told us the Prophet (s.a.w) doesn't speak of his own desires (wa ma yantiqu an al-hawa), I believe this.  Keep in mind though, not all ahadith are authentic and as such do not represent the Prophet's (a.s.w) sunnah. 

You won't find a contradiction between an authentic hadith and the Qur'an.  Some people may confuse the 3rd role of the sunnah as contradicting the Qur'an, but in reality there is no contradiction.  Hope this answers your question.  If you want a "deeper" answer you could try sending your question in to the QA of Islamicity or another islamic site.

Salaam

Edited by Abeer23
Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2007 at 2:34pm

I am asking this question because I've seen a couple of times where hadith have been used to supercede the Quran in arguements.

So, here is the question?  In Sharia, which law is supreme, the one in the Quran?  Or the one in the hadith?

The Quran is said to be perfect.  Hadith are used to clarify.  But what if they come into conflict. 

Example for sake of clarification. 

Fornication/Adultery. 

Punishment from the Quran:  80 lashes.

Punishment from Hadith: Stoning.

Which is the higher law? 

If God dictates very specific punishments, how can anything else be used?  I have seen hadith (unverified and verified) used to argue points that were in contrary to the wording of the Quran.  Some local sharia courts using weak hadith that support cultural belief over the very clear wording of the Quran.

I've seen alot of discussion on scholars, hadiths and fiqh.  But, in the end, how do you assign authority? 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
  Share Topic