IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reviews - Media > Books, Newspapers & Magazines
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Books That Spiritually Nourish You  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Books That Spiritually Nourish You

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote umsami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Books That Spiritually Nourish You
    Posted: 17 April 2007 at 5:50am
Assalamu Alaikum:

Other than the Qur'an and books on ahadith, are there any books or other media that you turn to for spiritual nourishment or a spiritual pick-me-up?? For example, one of my favorites is a book on the Names of Allah(swt) called "The Name and the Named."  I also have a book of khutbahs (Sufi-oriented) called "Irshad" that I'll read one from if I can't make Jummah prayers.  I also have a collection of Hamza Yusuf and Sheikh Yusuf Estes lectures on CD. 

What are your favorites?

Peace.
rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2007 at 6:19am
Bi ismillahir rahmanir raheem

assalamu alaikum

I used to read the lectures of shaykh abdul Qadir al Gilani. if you where to ask which i liked more his lectures or the works of Imam al Ghazali i hounestly couldnt tell you.

I found it amazing that they both lived at the same time and as one was leaving baghdad the other was entering it, this is fate for you

Edited by rami
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
fatima View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2007 at 3:22am

Bismillah irrahman irrahim

Wa'alaykum assalam wa rahmatullahe wa barakatuhu

I have to say listening to 'Purification of Heart' by Hamza Yusuf or reading 'Ihya ulum-id-din' by Imam Al-Ghazali does the trick for me. Ihya ulum-id-din explains not only the legal aspect but the soul of our worship so i love that book. Purification of heart helps me improve my daily dealings.

There are few others as well like, 'Taqwa: the provision fo believers' and 'Fear of Allah' both by Imam Ghazali, imam ibn Qayyim and ibn rajab hanbali and lastly 'Death' a beautiful book by Dr Asra rasheed.

Wassalam

Say: (O Muhammad) If you love Allah, then follow me, Allah will love you and forgive you your faults, and Allah is Forgiving, MercifuL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic