IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Basics of Islam
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Husband’s Uncle Coming to Visit  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Husband’s Uncle Coming to Visit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote umsami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Husband’s Uncle Coming to Visit
    Posted: 10 April 2007 at 9:32am
Assalamu Alaikum:

I posted this in the women's group... and people recommended I post it here in hopes of getting more replies.

My husband's uncle (on his Mom's side if that matters) is coming to stay with us for 10 days.  For three of those days, my husband will be at work from basically 7 am until 7 p.m.  My husband thinks I am being silly for saying I am not comfortable with him being in the apartment with us (I have two young sons) while my husband is at work.  I can't put my finger on it... but I am just not comfortable around this person.  He gives me the creeps.  I can't put my finger on it, but I have no desire for either me or my boys to be alone with him. 

My understanding is that he is not my mahram... so it would be wrong for us to be in the apartment together anyways.  Am I right??

Anybody deal with this? Any advice??

Peace. :)
Sign*Reader View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2007 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by umsami umsami wrote:

Assalamu Alaikum:

I posted this in the women's group... and people recommended I post it here in hopes of getting more replies.

My husband's uncle (on his Mom's side if that matters) is coming to stay with us for 10 days.  For three of those days, my husband will be at work from basically 7 am until 7 p.m.  My husband thinks I am being silly for saying I am not comfortable with him being in the apartment with us (I have two young sons) while my husband is at work.  I can't put my finger on it... but I am just not comfortable around this person.  He gives me the creeps.  I can't put my finger on it, but I have no desire for either me or my boys to be alone with him. 

My understanding is that he is not my mahram... so it would be wrong for us to be in the apartment together anyways.  Am I right??

Anybody deal with this? Any advice??

Peace. :)

WAS
If he gives you creeps, that should be enough to get matter put to rest. On the top of my head he doesn't fall in the Mahram category. You are correct there!

If he was invited by your husband to come and stay that makes it embarrassing for your husband. Seems the communication lines between you are due for some tune up.
What country is this happening in?

Edited by Sign*Reader
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
umsami View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote umsami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2007 at 8:25am
Assalamu Alaikum:

It's happening in the U.S.  Problem is that this is my husband's favorite uncle and he thinks I'm being weird for objecting.  My objecting is the issue... if you know what I mean.  Makes me the "bad guy".

He wasn't really invited... he invited himself... but my husband is thrilled he's coming.  I just don't know why he didn't tell him that his vacation wouldn't start until xyz day and say come in that day or the night before.

Peace.
Sign*Reader View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2007 at 3:40pm
WAS
It is absolutely weird for your husband being thrilled to be spending his vacation time with his objectionable uncle(I gather that is the plan). Ask your husband go for extra days of vacation time if possible.
SA
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2007 at 5:42am

I agree, trust your instincts. Your husband should respect your feelings as he will not be there to "protect" you and the kids.

It is weird how you can tell when something is "off" about a person. And we get into trouble when we "ignore" our feelings. 

I agree, plan things outside of the house as much as possible.

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic