IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reviews - Media > Books, Newspapers & Magazines
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Dealing with Christian Missionaries  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dealing with Christian Missionaries

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote umsami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dealing with Christian Missionaries
    Posted: 13 May 2005 at 6:17am

I posted this in the Current Events forum under the Rod Parsley topic, but thought I'd include it here as well.

I wanted to recommend a few books for Muslims who have to deal with Christian missionaries...or just want to be more informed about Christian history.  A lot of times, as a former Christian who did attend a Christian seminary before reverting, I see a lot of Muslim literature aimed at discrediting Christianity which can easily be discounted by Christians as it is not based on fact or on how they read the Bible.  It's much more effective to talk to them about their own history... so they see that Jesus never intended to be viewed as God.

"Beyond Belief: The Secret of The Gospel of Thomas" by Elaine Pagels  Really good book, easy read that talks about the history/politics around Jesus becoming God.

"When Jesus Became God: The Struggle to Define Christianity During the Last Days of Rome" by Richard Rubenstein  ... similar topic, but more in-depth.  Start with Beyond Belief, come to this book if you want to know more. :)

I also really like "200+ Ways the Quran Corrects the Bible: How Islam Unites Judaism and Christianity" by Mohamed Ghounem

Peace.

firewall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firewall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2005 at 3:36am
TQ! I think the best book is the Quran, Allah already gives us a guide:
"And they say: Be Jews or Christians, then ye will be rightly guided. Say (to them, O Muhammad): Nay, but (we follow) the religion of Abraham, the upright, & he was not of the idolaters. Say (O Muslims): We believe in Allah and that which is revealed unto us and that which was revealed unto Abraham, & Ishmael, & Isaac, & Jacob, & the tribes, & that which Moses and Jesus received, & that which the prophets received from their Lord. We make no distinction between any of them, and unto Him we have surrendered." [Quran, 2:135-136]

Abraham worshipped One God (Allah), & never worship Jesus. Jesus wasn't even born yet, so all the previous prophets before him never worship him as well. 

Edited by firewall
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic