IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islamic INTRAfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Islam’s   View   on    DINOSAURS !  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Islam�s View on DINOSAURS !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sulooni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Islam�s View on DINOSAURS !
    Posted: 12 March 2007 at 1:59am

http://islamquest.net/QuestionArchive/784.aspx

What is Islam�s view regarding the existence of dinosaurs?

The Quran is a book of guidance and everything which supports this goal [of guidance] has been mentioned in this Holy Book. The method used in expressing matters is: focusing on the general aspects and less on the details and particulars, and the reason for that may be the unimaginable amount of specific topics and Islamic laws.[1]

In the Quran, even though much has been mentioned about the reality of life, various creatures, classification of living organisms into plants[2] and animals, and the categorization of land animals into quadrupeds (four legged animals) and birds[3], and the categorization of quadrupeds into reptiles, animals that walk on two legs and animals that walk on four legs[4]. Not only have the names of some insects, fish and other creatures been mentioned in the Quran, valuable details about them have been mentioned as well. However as far as dinosaurs and the nature of their life, nothing has been [specifically] mentioned in the Quran and Islam has not expressed any particular viewpoint on this topic. For these types of issues one must refer to the scientist and scholars of the respected fields and derive the Islamic laws and conduct from the basis of their opinions.

Discussions relating to the various types of animals and plants and inanimate objects are all a part of natural sciences as a result the answer must be sought out from natural sciences. Information about dinosaurs must be researched in paleontology books, books regarding extinct animals and zoological museums.

As it has been mentioned in the Quran and in other Islamic sources; much importance has been given to nature, its manifestation and a variety of beings, and they have been referred to as blessings and signs of the One God and His magnificence and dominance; because one of the methodical concepts of theism is paying attention to the existence of livening creatures and the works of God. And this is why the majority of animals that people have seen and are familiar with have been mentioned [in the Quran], so that we can reflect upon their creation.

If science is able to prove the existence and details of prehistoric and extinct animals such as dinosaurs then in actuality this proof itself is one of the numerous signs of God, which paves a new way for understanding the magnitude of the Lord, just as it states in the Holy Quran:

Say, �Travel over the land and then observe how He has originated the creation. Then Allah shall bring about the genesis of the hereafter. Indeed Allah has power over all things.[5] In Nemuneh Commentary it explains this verse saying: today, these types of verses can correspond to a more precise and deeper meaning for scientist, meaning that they should go and observe the remainings of prehistoric creatures which can now be found as fossils in the depths of the seas, and in the core of mountains and in between the layers of the earth in order to comprehend some of the mysteries of the origination of life on earth and the supremacy and splendor of God, and realize that He is capable of the restitution of life.[6]

Another point which we must pay attention to is that � Islam is unlike other religions which sometime have teachings which contradict and oppose scientific facts (especially natural sciences and issues relating to creation), which is the primary reason why they have separated their religious discourses from scientific discourses, as well as the methodology of religious livelihood from scientific livelihood, and it is also one of the reasons for many other irrational religious discourses.

The teachings of Islam and the Quran not only have absolutely no type of contradiction with scientific facts, rather from the very time when the Prophet Muhammad (P.B.U.H.) embraced the divine mission of prophethood, Islam foretold many scientific advancements, inventions and discoveries, and gave value and worth to knowledge, scholars and their respected opinions, and in many instances Islam has used the phenomenon and marvel of creation as evidence and proof of �origin and end� (initiatial creation and resurrection).

Nonetheless, the Islamic laws and rulings for the Nijasat (ritual impurity), Hiliyat (permissibility by Islamic law) and Hurmat (prohibition by Islamic law), of living creatures whose existence has been proven, has been presented as �factual propositions� meaning that the rulings and laws have been presented as universal laws upon the assumption of the subject�s existence. Therefore if dinosaurs did exist or if in the future such a creature with the specifics of a dinosaur comes into existence, even though Islamic legal laws (fiqh) may not have any specific opinion on it, legal scholars can unambiguously derive the Islamic rulings from the principals of Islamic law, just as they have derived rulings for a number of �Mustahdatha� cases (instances without precedence).

http://islamquest.net/QuestionArchive/784.aspx

[1]For more information, see: �Vicegerency and Religiosity�, Studies in Islamic Political Thought: Dr. Mehdi Hadavi Tehrani � Pages 47-57.

[2]Sura An�aam (The Cattle) � Verse 99: � ������ �������� ������� ���� ��������� ���� ������������� ���� ������� ����� ������

[3]Sura An�aam (The Cattle) � Verse 38:������ ��� �������� ��� �������� ����� ������� ������� ������������� �

[4]Sura Noor (The Light) � Verse 45:

ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ ������ ����� �������� ��� ����� ��������� ���� ������� ����� �������� ��������� ���� ������� ����� ���������� ��������� ���� ������� ����� ��������   

[5]Sura Ankabut (The Spider) - Verse 20

[6]Nemuneh Commentary, Volume 16, Page 238

www.insight-info.com/forum/default
Rukkaiyah View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rukkaiyah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2008 at 7:57am
YUSUFALI: Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.

Allah is "the creator of all things which exist" and "have existed". If you truly believe this, then you will not faulter and no question will seem un-answerable.

Inshallah

Edited by Rukkaiyah - 28 April 2008 at 8:17am
believer View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2008 at 12:52pm

For the longest time my child thought that GOD put the dinosaur fossils on earth as a joke to man!!  Until He realized:

Job 40

15 "Look at the behemoth,  
       which I made along with you
       and which feeds on grass like an ox.

16 What strength he has in his loins,
       what power in the muscles of his belly!

17 His tail sways like a cedar;
       the sinews of his thighs are close-knit.

18 His bones are tubes of bronze,
       his limbs like rods of iron.

19 He ranks first among the works of God,
       yet his Maker can approach him with his sword.

20 The hills bring him their produce,
       and all the wild animals play nearby.

21 Under the lotus plants he lies,
       hidden among the reeds in the marsh.

22 The lotuses conceal him in their shadow;
       the poplars by the stream surround him.

23 When the river rages, he is not alarmed;
       he is secure, though the Jordan should surge against his mouth.

24 Can anyone capture him by the eyes, 
       or trap him and pierce his nose?

John 3
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
believer View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2008 at 12:53pm
oops I just realized I put that post in the wrong section sorry.
John 3
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
Zaharah View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaharah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2008 at 7:08pm
LOL  now believer ive had a pretty rough day, but i can say that i read what you put and also read your oops wrong section.  You actually had me laughingLOL
'Z'
yahyafarooq View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yahyafarooq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2008 at 7:14am
Hi there, it was good to read that islam has the flex view to accept dinasaurs.last night i was talking with an atheist friend of mine and he asked me about dinasours and i was not able to answer him but that was beacause i dont know the islamic view on when Hazrat Adam came to earth.As far as i have studied different dates and linage of pophet will i be right that its highly unlikely that Hazrat Adam was send before 1 million years ago.and if you agree with that and science says dinasaurs were on earth from 230 untill 60 million years ago. its not accurate but there can not be a big difference.so how can we imagine a creation on earth before humans
Rukkaiyah View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rukkaiyah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2008 at 4:49am
Asalamu Alaikum Brother,

We shouldn't say as we can't imagine something that it won't or isn't possible. Islam believe's in many unseen and unimaginable things or events, like the meraaj, buraak, malaikah, etc.

The earth was already created before prophet Aa'dam was sent upon it, so we cannot guess what already existed before or during this period. Allahu Alim.
minuteman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minuteman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2008 at 6:42am

Please understand that the present Adam mentioned in the Quran arrived about 6000 years ago. But it does not mean that he was the first man on earth. He was the first selected man (Prophet) on earth. There were many men before him on earth. The one given knowledge and Wahi was Adam. There were many men and women on the earth before him.

This teaching differs from the teaching of the bible that Adam was the first man on earth. And the theory that Eve was created from the ribs of Adam is also not true.

I am not discussing denosaurs because I have not enough knowledge about them from Quran.

Edited by minuteman - 01 August 2008 at 6:44am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic