IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - ? are Islamic rights of Christian women?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

? are Islamic rights of Christian women?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariyah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ? are Islamic rights of Christian women?
    Posted: 16 February 2007 at 12:51pm

Asalaamu alaikum sisters:

I have an unusual concern and need some advice on how to respond to a young woman's questions.

I am going to call this young lady Elena. Elena is a younger divorced latina Christian girl with one child. Elena met a man who is an immigrant Yemeni American (moved here when he was 15 and is supposedly naturalized) who has proposed to her and supposedly they are engaged. Elena is one of my nursing assistants and she has another profession that she is proficient in. Elena told me that her "fiance'" is engaged to be married in Yemen to a girl that his parents have arranged the marriage for. This man, I will call him Achmed, told elena that he will be traveling to Yemen soon to complete this marriage and that this wife (the Yemeni) will not be the wife of his heart, she will stay there and be a servant to his parents and he will tell this Yemeni wife that his real wife is Elena in the states. he will only spend time with this wife 2 months every 2 years. She believes him and now is investigating Islam. Since she is not yet married, would it be proper to educate her on Islamic marriage, the dowry and the need for a Wali? I feel she may need one since this brother is a widower and has been denied by some of the Local unmarried Muslim girls. I have given her information on our websites and assisted her with Dawa. Her situtation makes me VERY uneasy. I have seen too many of these brothers return to their countries and never return, and if she becomes Muslim and this happens wouldn't she have to be divorced by a Shariah court?

thank you ahead of time for your reponses and Inshallah we will give her the correct information.

Mariyah

"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.
USA-NIQAABI View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA-NIQAABI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2007 at 1:19pm

Assalamu'Alaikum Sr. Maryah,

I had a similiar situation with a friend of a friend....and it ended with him moving back to Egypt to live with his long time wife and children his wife here never bacame muslim and was not married according to Islam and was left with nothing accept whatever they had here in the states....

I think you are right to be suspicious of the entire situation....

It's his right to take two wives but as such there are certain ways of going about it. I don't know what the prerequisite for marriage of a muslim man to a non-muslim women are. If they are getting married in a mosque they would need to follow the Islamic way....The best thing to suggest is for her to go with her fiance' and speak with a scholar or Imam and see if her fiance' is handling everything properly...

As far as divorce goes I don't know I think my friends friend just went through the courts here in the USA there isn't a legal body of Shariah' court here.

As far as if she can claim rights to his wealth in Yemen I'm not sure about that either. Yemen does go by Shariah law but if she's not a muslim and hasn't been married according to Islam I'm not sure if she would have a valid claim or if she could even make a claim on his wealth in Yemen in the event of a divorce. Or to take into consideration when calculating the finances and how they should be spent between the two wives fairly....

I'm not sure of dowery rights for nonmuslim women marrying muslim men....the best advice to give her is to go to the local masjid and speak with an Imam or Scholar about this....

If she does become muslim than her fiance' must marry her according to Islam. In that event the provisions as mentioned in the Quran must be followed...As well as how he houses her and takes care of her needs in a just and fair way...and if they part it must be done according to the Quran...

Even if it's done in a western country under other laws than Islam he will have to answer for his actions to Allah(swt) and he should fear Allah(swt) more than he fears the laws of any society...

MasSalaama

amah View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2007 at 9:32pm

Bismillahirrahmaniraheem

Assalaamualaikum ,

I don't like what this man is doing. Yes, it is his right to take upto four wives but Allah has commanded not to marry more than once if he cannot do justice to all his wives. So if he is not ready to take responsibility for both his wives, then he loses this right. All wives have equal share of his time and money..etc..

He cannot do this to the other woman in Yemen, unless she knows about this whole affair before marriage and agrees to this. You must warn your friend of the possibility of being deserted by this man. Dawah should be done to her but her interest in Islam should not be based upon this marriage. You know what I mean.

"and he should fear Allah(swt) more than he fears the laws of any society..."

I second that. Try speaking to that brother too.

Allahu Aalam.

wassalaam.

Allah is Sufficient as a Walee (Protector) and Allah is Sufficient as a Naseer (Helper).
(Surah An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #45)
shymuslima View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shymuslima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2007 at 12:55am
I don't know about Yemen, but here in Malaysia..a nomuslim woman cannot inherit anything from her husband and I am not sure if she can claim anything from divorce. I, also, remember some law in saudi arabia where the man must marry a muslim...not sure about this but it probably applies to Yemen as well. How cruel is this man to make a servant of his first wife...or a work permit of his second.
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2007 at 8:16am

hmm then there is the question of what are her legal rights in the US?

He seems to be playing footloose with a few things. He should be just and honest. At least she knows about the 1st wife, does the 1st wife know about her?

On the other topic we tqalk about sisterhood.. and t hat ties into it? Would you participate in deceiving another woman? A good question...

I think you should share as much information and she wants to hear. In addition to her potential marriage, education is not a bad thing. 

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Sign*Reader View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2007 at 11:10am
Maryah
Senior  Member
IMHO instead of beating about the bush, there is one simple response that this Yemeni American would be breaking the laws of United States by doing what he is planning to do and could be prosecuted for that if Uncle Sam gets the whiff of it. Uncle Sam can be bashed for lot of other things but you know long arms of his laws do grip bit too tightly around the Muslims law breakers and it could cost.

This should be stated to the Latina lady Elena unequivocally her naivet� notwithstanding.

So far Dawah for Islam is concerned it should be a handled on a separate basis altogether.

If the man wants to have his cakes and eat it too with more than one wives and make a mockery of the Quranic injunctions(Nisaa 4:3>>>but if ye fear that ye shall not be able to deal with justly then only one....That will be more suitable, to prevent you from doing injustice), that is his business.

It is would be wise for you to stay clear from the mess that will be created sooner or later with this arrangement.
Experience keeps a dear school but a fool would learn in no other!

Edited by Sign*Reader
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
mariyah View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariyah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2007 at 3:51pm

Asalaamu alaikum

Quote "On the other topic we talk about sisterhood.. and t hat ties into it? Would you participate in deceiving another woman? A good question...

I think you should share as much information and she wants to hear. In addition to her potential marriage, education is not a bad thing." 

Why is this being made personal towards me? I think this brother is bad news. All the eligible sisters in our area have refused him that he has sought. And I am deceiving no one, I am trying to validate my negative feelings about this girl's predicament.I do plan on educating her, since she chooses to use me as a Dawah resource I wish to do it in a correct manner. I certainly agree with you on this! Do as this nurse does, stand back, put aside the Personal emotional involvement and assess the situation objectively and pinpoint the pros and cons of the situation!  I want her to accept Islam on its own merit, not the grounds of a potentially disastrous relationship. She has no mother and I have known this girl many years and I will not abandon her. She is a friend of my eldest daughter.

Sister Amah, I agree with you, I wish to continue the Dawah for her benefit but she needs to know what a muslim wife would expect so that she can set standards for this man. She has a right to be treated with dignity whether muslim or not. Thank you all for your posts! Please continue to post, I may need to direct her to this thread if the situation grows  more serious. "Love" can be blind, and some young women will overlook many faults in the process of infatuation with a potential mate. Shukran jaziilan for your suggestions and advise, Jazakallah Khayran!

Mariyah

Edited by Maryah
"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.
amah View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2007 at 7:57pm

Assalaamualaikum

Sister Maryah, I agree, you should not abandon her. With you as a well wisher, insha allah this sister is in safe hands.

Keep doing dawah and yes, you rightly said she must be educated about her rights as a Muslim (and as a wife). Love is blind and marriage an eye opener,    I pray she does not learn this the hard way.

May Allah reward you for your efforts.

Wassalaam.

Allah is Sufficient as a Walee (Protector) and Allah is Sufficient as a Naseer (Helper).
(Surah An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #45)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic