IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - judge for yourself  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

judge for yourself

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: judge for yourself
    Posted: 03 February 2007 at 2:52pm
The was a judge, who had a man brought before him for stealing an expensive car and then crashed it, destroying the car.  The man confessed his guilt to the judge.  Islamically (if you can), what should the judge do?

Now suppose that the owner of the car was merficul and said to the theif, 'I forgive you'.  How should the judge interpret that statement?

Regards,
Yasha
BMZ View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2007 at 10:06pm

Islamically or unislamically, the judge will decide accoring to the law. the judge will snetence him with a few months in prison, fine him and will order the Insurance company for a replacement or repairs.

Now, if I were the owner and I forgave the man, the judge should give him a light sentence for the offence of stealing. If the judge were kind like me, he would jail him say, a minimum punishment of one day.

Edited by bmzsp
yasha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2007 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by bmzsp bmzsp wrote:

Islamically or unislamically, the judge will decide accoring to the law. the judge will snetence him with a few months in prison, fine him and will order the Insurance company for a replacement or repairs.

Now, if I were the owner and I forgave the man, the judge should give him a light sentence for the offence of stealing. If the judge were kind like me, he would jail him say, a minimum punishment of one day.

Are insurance companies Islamic?

I doubt Muhammad paid insurance money.

Are jails Islamic?

Who do you suppose should pay to replace the car.  The theif, or the victim?

Regards,

Yasha.

BMZ View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2007 at 9:17am

"Are insurance companies Islamic?"

According to Jesus, they are neither lawful or unlawful. It is not what money goes in. What matters is how much payment comes out. They are Kosher.

"I doubt Muhammad paid insurance money."

Muhammad was not insured, he died a pauper. Neither did Moses and Jesus pay any insurance money. They ate free. They were all not insured. The Jews refused to extend an insurance policy to Jesus.

"Are jails Islamic?"

No, they are Christian. Some may be Jewish too.

"Who do you suppose should pay to replace the car.  The theif, or the victim?"

The victim.

Edited by bmzsp
yasha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2007 at 10:38pm

"Are jails Islamic?"

So in Islamic law, there are no jails.  Is that correct?
Also wasn't there something about cutting off the hand, or something for theft?

The victim.

I see you are in agreement with the way things work today.

Now suppose that the man couldn't afford theft insurance, does this change the judgement at all?
BMZ View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2007 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by yasha yasha wrote:

"Are jails Islamic?"

So in Islamic law, there are no jails.  Is that correct?
Also wasn't there something about cutting off the hand, or something for theft?

The victim.

I see you are in agreement with the way things work today.

Now suppose that the man couldn't afford theft insurance, does this change the judgement at all?

No, we are not in agreement because you left out other important parts of my answers.

Do you happen to know what punishments the two petty thieves received on the crosses near Jesus? Was that punishment good?  And instead of getting some fingers chopped, they had their legs also broken to speed up their death?

Patty View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2007 at 2:38pm

Hi BMZ,

Uh, the two thieves on the cross were not "petty thieves".....they were what we would consider today to be hard core criminals.  The "good" thief even admitted that when he told Jesus that he (the thief) deserved his punishment.  And their legs were broken to speed up their deaths because they had to be taken down from the cross before sunset.  As it was obvious that Jesus was already dead, they thrust a spear in his side instead of breaking his legs.

Fond Regards,

Patty

I don't know what the future holds....but I know who holds the future.
BMZ View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2007 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by Patty Patty wrote:

Hi BMZ,

Uh, the two thieves on the cross were not "petty thieves".....they were what we would consider today to be hard core criminals.  The "good" thief even admitted that when he told Jesus that he (the thief) deserved his punishment.  And their legs were broken to speed up their deaths because they had to be taken down from the cross before sunset.  As it was obvious that Jesus was already dead, they thrust a spear in his side instead of breaking his legs.

Fond Regards,

I think you have a very peaceful neighbourhood, Patty.  Aw! So sweet of you to appear here, the peaceful mediator.  I was just talking sweetly to yasha.

Good point. I did not expect that answer from yasha. That was the point I was coming to. Likewise in Islam, the order was not for chopping off hands of every petty thieves on a petty theft. It was ordained for hardcore bandits, robbers, kidnappers, etc.

Patty, we left all our baggage, briefcases, etc on a trolley in Jeddah airport. On top of that, my dear wife left her purse containing our passports, money and cards, etc. As the flight had been delayed for 4 hours, we went to town and came back after three hours. It was there in the exact place and no one had touched it.

Warm Regards

BMZ

Edited by bmzsp
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic