IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Men (Brothers)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - positive male role models  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

positive male role models

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rookaiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: positive male role models
    Posted: 30 January 2007 at 3:14am

as a single mom of 2 boys i often worry about positive role models for my sons. how i expose my sons to positive role models. how do i ensure that i dont smother my sons and turn them into fragile boys with low self esteeem. already my 4 year old is very timid. he doesnt have a strong male role model to emulate. i dotn know how to be a father to him, yet i want to expose him to a strong father figure. my own dad is very old and cant fulfil this role. are there any books i could read that will help shed some light on how to go about this

ive heard of so many successful men who were raised by single moms. i would like to know the secret of those single moms. how did they get it right.

as a mother, i cant help but be over protective. as a result i feel that i may be stifling my sons progress. am I? how can i remedy this situation?

Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2007 at 8:40am

Every kid is different, every boy is different some can be timid and other boisterous. Sometimes its the kid and where they are in life it does not neccessairly mean they are not going to be strong, you son is 4 years old I wouldn't worry about it so much.

By timid, what do you mean, what does your son do that makes you think he is?

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
rookaiya View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rookaiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2007 at 10:47pm
hes very afraid. hes teriified of dogs. if he sees a dog he screams. hes afriad of cars. if he sees a car driving by..he runs for his life. hes just a very scared child.
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2007 at 7:46am

have you sort professional help? If he is very/really afraid then you may need some help.

This isn't due to not having a male role model around, this can happen with.

Kids mostly grow out of their fears, but some at times with dogs kids become afraid after the dog has hurt them.

The car bit is unusal.

Have you asked him what it is that he doesn't like about dogs and cars, i think young kids equate don't like with scared, so if you are not getting any answers from scared perhaps say the question with "what don't you like...."

Also, (i'm not blaming you) kids can pick up what we are feeling without you knowing about it or aware of the feeling, and act it out.  

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2007 at 7:45am

Whereas I believe it is good t ohave positive male role models, I agree with Angel that your son's behavior is not about this. As she said, have you tried porfessional help? They can help you find out what it is about cars and such that frighten him and give a course of action to help him with this.

I would try and find him some activity that he ca nbe successful at.. could be things like karate or maybe some scout t ype of activity. Something that helps build his self-esteem.  Of course, nothing too brutal (like you will or else! mentality).

But I do think professional guidance would be good. This sounds like a specific problem.  

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
taliyya View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taliyya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2007 at 3:26am
Is he afraid of all cars? Or just cars that whiz past. My 4 year old daughter is afraid of trucks. She said it's because they're big and loud. Maybe that's why he's afraid of them. Prophet Isa had only a mother to raise him.
rookaiya View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rookaiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2007 at 10:23pm

Taliyya, thanks for reminding me about Prophet Isa. its so easy to get into this self pity and lose sight of reality. Millions of women all over the world have been raising boys and girls from way back when. most have done a splendid job.

its the sound of the engine that frightens him.

nu001 View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nu001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2007 at 11:47am
Originally posted by rookaiya rookaiya wrote:

Taliyya, thanks for reminding me about Prophet Isa. its so easy to get into this self pity and lose sight of reality. Millions of women all over the world have been raising boys and girls from way back when. most have done a splendid job.

its the sound of the engine that frightens him.

Sister Rookeya

I would suggest you to have patience untill he is 10-12, he is likely to have positive changes once he gets used to his school friends, teachers, outside world and develop good relationship with them. I myself grew up almost without much interaction with my father, He was mostly away for professional reason. I spent only two years of my life consecutively with him. Then I went to a boarding school far away from home and would meet three times a year for 7-10 days. Virtually i have no influence of him in me.

He passed away also quiet early. We were two brothers. I was a child as you describe your to be. But by the grace of Allah, i can say from my experience; please encourage him to mix with people (Friends and other acquinted) encourage and appreciate his decisions of life. He will insha-Allah turn into a very confident man. He has that environment than many child with not so good father. please Give him the time & encouragement by appreciating what he achieves.

Consult professionals at 10-12 if still he doesnot show improve, it's too early to be worried.

Salam

From a Brother

"Al-Quran-The only Straight path to success. Alhamdulillah"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic