IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - I cannot shake your hand, sir.  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedI cannot shake your hand, sir.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Senior  Member
Muslim
Direct Link To This Post Topic: I cannot shake your hand, sir.
    Posted: 22 January 2007 at 8:38am
I cannot shake your hand, sir. I'm a Muslim and you're a man
By MARTIN SMITH - More by this author
Last updated at 22:07pm on 20th January 2007
ref:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=430249&in_page_id=1770

A Muslim woman police officer has sparked a new debate by refusing to shake hands with Britain's most senior police chief for religious reasons.

The incident happened at a passing-out parade where Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Ian Blair was inspecting a line-up of 200 recruits.

In addition to refusing a traditional congratulatory handshake from Sir Ian, the WPC - who wore a traditional Muslim hijab headscarf - also declined to be photographed with him as she did not want the picture used for 'propaganda purposes'.

The woman had earlier insisted that it was contrary to her religious teaching for her to touch a man.

Now The Mail on Sunday has learned that her gesture has sparked top-level discussions at Scotland Yard.

Some officers argue that her attitude towards men might impede her ability to detain offenders.

However, it is clear that she is happy to come into contact with men, just not shake their hand or kiss them.

An inquiry has now been launched and the unidentified WPC - described as 'a non-Asian Muslim' - could face the sack if it is considered that her strict religious beliefs prevent her performing as an effective police officer.

However, senior commanders are worried that dismissing her would deepen the atmosphere of mistrust between the police and the Muslim community.

The incident happened at Imber Court, Scotland Yard's sports and conference centre at Thames Ditton in South West London, when the 200 recruits attended a passing-out parade having completed their 18 weeks' basic training.

A senior police source said: "Before Sir Ian arrived she told her training supervisor that she was not going to shake his hand because it was against her religion.

"She also said she did not want her picture taken with the commissioner because they would only use it for propaganda.

"Sir Ian was informed on his arrival of the officer's request. This has never happened before and he was bloody furious. But he agreed to go along with it so as not to cause a scene.

"He went out and shook the hand of every single new recruit apart from her. It was very obvious and very embarrassing.

"There was a great deal of discussion about it afterwards. People were asking how the hell is she going to make an arrest if she refuses to touch men."

Having completed her 18 weeks' initial training, the WPC has now been assigned to a West London police station as a beat bobby.

Like all newly qualified officers, she will remain on probation for two years to satisfy her superiors that she is suitable for the job.

A Scotland Yard spokeswoman said of the Imber Court incident on December 21 that normally the police would have refused a request not to shake Sir Ian's hand.

"It was only granted by members of training staff out of a desire to minimise any disruption to other people's enjoyment and to ensure the smooth running of what is one of the most important events in an officer's career,' she said.

"The commissioner did question the validity of this request and the matter is being looked at by the MPS."

The spokeswoman added that the officer has completed all basic training, including the safety course 'which requires recruits to come into physical contact with each other regardless of gender'.

Asked about the officer's ability to make an arrest, she said: "There is a standard between personal and professional life. A passing-out parade is a personal event. You are not fulfilling a professional duty there."

Scotland Yard has allowed Muslim WPCs to wear an adaptation of the hijab since 2001.

But, despite a vigorous recruitment campaign, there are still only around 300 Muslims among the Met's 35,000 officers and fewer than 20 are women.

The incident is the latest in a series of 'political correctness' and race-related rows under Sir Ian's command at the Met.
pauline35 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2007 at 9:28am
The Silk fought for their religiou rights and so now is Muslim woman. I think I must fight for my religious right not to be seated next to any meatarian in my class because I am a vegetarian. What a pretext!
rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2007 at 9:05pm
bi is illahir rahmanir raheem

which god do vegetarians believe in, is he a vegetable and if so how does he do anything.

doesn't being a vegetable also disqualify you from having godly status kinda like an oxymoron a god who is a vegetable or calling a place in the middle of the ocean sealand.
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
pauline35 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2007 at 9:54pm
Being a vegetable and being a vegetarian are two different things altogether. In most cases, vegetable is referring to comatose. Vegetarians is those who can't eat meat. Vegetarian has many beliefs, I am not really a pure vegetarian. Although I don't eat pork for many years, I also stop eating red meat. My protein intake is either fish or poultry.

I can't speak for all vegetarian but I could tell you, Rami, moderation proves to be the best. Extremism proves to be fatal. Isn't extremism is purely oxymoron?

If I do choose to convert to Islam in this present civilisation, I need not behave like an Arab or live like an Arab just to embrace Islam. Do you agree?

That lady is excercising extremism which is not necessary. If she has difficulty to understand that religion is secondary apart from her safety which is primary as police officer, then I think you could brand her a real vegetable. She was exercising her rights on the pretext of being strictly religious. Don't you think so?
pauline35 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2007 at 10:01pm
I have never agreed to accept that religion is primary when a religion is purely god-based. If the religion is technically a way of life to do god's cause and that the meaning of god's cause is not what Osama has been doing but doing good deeds all your life, then I would accept it as primary.

Whatever we do nowadays is safety comes first!

Edited by pauline35
Jamna View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2007 at 12:42am

Pauline said: "That lady is excercising extremism which is not necessary. If she has difficulty to understand that religion is secondary apart from her safety which is primary as police officer, then I think you could brand her a real vegetable."

Didn't you read the article correctly. The lady had completed all basic training including safety. She had no problem to come into contact with any male in order to fulfill her professional duty, such as making an arrest. But, shaking hand with male superior in passing-out parade is considered personal event, not part of her professional job. She has every right to decline politely and explain the reason for not wanting to shake hand with her male superior in such condition. It has nothing to do with safety! And surely, it has nothing to do with extremism! She knows how to differentiate between her professional duty and her personal life.

And you even mentioned Osama's name in discussing event like this???

pauline35 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2007 at 3:31am
Yap, mentioning Osama is because he's a Muslim practicing extremism. Is that a problem to you?

Her refusal to shake hand with her superior in the public embarrassed her superior with intention. You called that her personal event....my god! That was just your perception.

You said : She knows how to differentiate between her professional duty and her personal life.

So was she on duty or off duty during the parade? So were you saying she was professional in declining handshake in the eyes of the public. Does she understand that she exhibited that Islam allows and teaches how to embarrass someone in public? If she's a not vegetable, she wouldn't choose to hurt her superior in that moment of time. A vegetable is also a personality who does not think twice before act.

You must understand it has been a protocol to perform handshake during a parade especially in uniform. At other time, she may do so but definitely not with the media's presence.

When Magdeline Albright, a Jew, visited Kuala Lumpur, my Prime Minister did shake her hand. Imagine what would happen if my Prime Minister refused to shake her hand and said, "I am sorry I am a Muslim and I can't touch women." with the presence of the media???? It will be an interesting article the very next day.

You do not agree because you are over protective of your religion. It's not entirely my fault if you disagreed with me.

Edited by pauline35
ZEA J View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2007 at 7:43am

Originally posted by pauline35 pauline35 wrote:

When Magdeline Albright, a Jew, visited Kuala Lumpur, my Prime Minister did shake her hand. Imagine what would happen if my Prime Minister refused to shake her hand and said, "I am sorry I am a Muslim and I can't touch women." with the presence of the media???? It will be an interesting article the very next day.

The wife of the prime minister of India does not usually shake hand with other men, even in the presence of the media. And she is not a muslim.

Edited by ZEA J
"You will never attain piety and righteousness,(and eventually paradise)until you
spend of that which you love."(Al-Imran:92)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic