IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Men (Brothers)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - About Dogs?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

About Dogs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suleyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: About Dogs?
    Posted: 05 May 2005 at 12:02pm

Es_Selam'un Aleykum ve Rahmetullahi ve Berakatuh Brothers in Islam,

What do you think about dogs?...do you love?, or hate?...what are the position of the dogs in Islam?...i need some advices absolutely their protections inside the houses...i know some hadiths;but Imam Gahazali's comment on these hadiths and the dogs ares so interesting and deeply...how can we understand the real meanings of these hadiths?...Here is an sample from an traditional Turkish dog which is known as Kangals,i love walking with them while climbing to the higher mountains at the summer vacations,i feel safe for the wolves...they are a little bit big,my uncle feeds,but the pic is taken from the east side of Turkey belonging to a shepard...

Edited by Suleyman
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2005 at 1:25pm

as salaamu alaikum, Suleyman,

Myself, I grew up with dogs (my family were not Muslim).  We always had a dog in the house as a pet.  I loved them and thought they were very nice to have.  When I got married we always had cats, and once, a small dog for a few years.

Then I became a Muslim and found that we are not supposed to keep dogs as pets (only for work, like sheparding or guarding).  It seems that dogs (like pigs) are considered filth.

Well, I was not too upset because, honestly, I love cats much more!  Cats are clean and easy to care for and are a joy to have around the house.  They say that the Prophet (pbuh) loved cats so much that he once cut his garment from around a sleeping cat so as not to disturb it when he had to get up!

Dogs can be very loyal, doing anything for the hand that feeds them.  Cats on the other hand are very picky about who they let into their lives!  I like this about them, they are good judges of character.  Cats are mysterious and very intelligent.  My cat Ziba is like my baby (now that my baby is grown and married!).

Suleyman, you might enjoy a dog, but have you ever had a cat?  Consider the possibility!

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2005 at 8:31pm

I don't think cat lovers should talk about dogs,     as dogs will always become second best

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
bissmillah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bissmillah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2005 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by Angel Angel wrote:

I don't think cat lovers should talk about dogs,     as dogs will always become second best

one mans meat is another mans poison! opinion opinion is that in the quran? dogs being second best!!! I dont know about that I own thousands of dogs but they dont inspire me as you do angel.... lol

Edited by bissmillah
Suleyman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suleyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2005 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by ummziba ummziba wrote:

as salaamu alaikum, Suleyman,

Myself, I grew up with dogs (my family were not Muslim).  We always had a dog in the house as a pet.  I loved them and thought they were very nice to have.  When I got married we always had cats, and once, a small dog for a few years.

Then I became a Muslim and found that we are not supposed to keep dogs as pets (only for work, like sheparding or guarding).  It seems that dogs (like pigs) are considered filth.

Well, I was not too upset because, honestly, I love cats much more!  Cats are clean and easy to care for and are a joy to have around the house.  They say that the Prophet (pbuh) loved cats so much that he once cut his garment from around a sleeping cat so as not to disturb it when he had to get up!

Dogs can be very loyal, doing anything for the hand that feeds them.  Cats on the other hand are very picky about who they let into their lives!  I like this about them, they are good judges of character.  Cats are mysterious and very intelligent.  My cat Ziba is like my baby (now that my baby is grown and married!).

Suleyman, you might enjoy a dog, but have you ever had a cat?  Consider the possibility!

Peace, ummziba.

Aleykum Selam ve Rahmetullahi ve Berakatuh Sister Ummziba,

Thank you very much for your respond,i have opened to issue to my family their respond was not as long as you;my mother said letting her leave then buying a dog because we are living on a flat...my view from Islam is being forbidden to putting them in the houses and i really had seen it's bad effects(losing the taste of pray and feeling that house is not hygienic),i am not talking about the garden...i have two squirrels caring them at the flat of the balcony,when they had first came i put them into my room then i have realized that their existences in my room effecting the taste of my pray then i put them into the balcony;i think this is the best...

Sister,i also love cats;i am not sure about my mother and the other members of the family...but,i still think on having a Kangal Dog to our summer house where i love to go every summer...i can add a cat to menu...Wa Salaam...

IslamicGirl View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IslamicGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2005 at 5:31am
I love Cats and Dogs!  They are all Allah's Creations.. wasn't there a story of dogs protecting our prophet (PBUH) when he was in trouble?? (this is a story from a Hadith according to my father)

Well, I know dogs have something in their saliva (spit) which makes them unclean (or napark).  Whereas, I do believe cats are a lot cleaner and I agree on ummziba's post where our Prophet loved cats.  I have a cat and he's an amazing creature.. especially when he starts walking you over to a tap that is leaking and hasn't been turned off properly.. or starts to act like a dog and sleeps on his back. 

I have also noticed, whether you wash a dog or not they always have a bad smell about them although they're are cute and they leave saliva everywhere.  Cats cover their waste after they deposit it.. which I think is very intellegent of them.

Just like pigs too.. they are not for humans to consume (as per Allah's command), however besides the fact that we are not suppose to eat or touch them or go near them, I do not believe we should hate them, they are created for a reason on the earth.. whether we know it or not.. we should stay away from them, yet give them respect (ie. not torture them etc).. as they have feelings too.
*Islamic Girl*
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2005 at 6:34am

Originally posted by IslamicGirl IslamicGirl wrote:

I have also noticed, whether you wash a dog or not they always have a bad smell about them

That comes down to what they eat, I found that with my dog, certain bones I think it is lamb, she will have that doggie smell not long after having a bath, otherwise stays nice smelling longtime after.

Quote although they're are cute and they leave saliva everywhere. 

That is for a few breeds, not all dog leave saliva everywhere, my dog doesn't leave saliva everywhere.

I have a cat also, he dominates the house or so he thinks

Edited by Angel
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2005 at 6:36am
bissmillah, silly remark
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic