IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Quran & Sunnah
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Surah 4:34  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Surah 4:34

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B.H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Surah 4:34
    Posted: 18 January 2007 at 10:52pm

I have a question about Surah 4:34.

What exactly does the Holy Quran say the women are doing wrong and deserve to be possibly beaten for?  Is it arrogance, rebellion, adultery or what?

seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2007 at 6:07am

As'salamualaikum,

This is the tafseer of Ibn Kathir AND your doubt is well explained here

Dealing with the Wife's Ill-Conduct

Allah said,

﴿����������� ���������� ������������﴾

(As to those women on whose part you see ill conduct,) meaning, the woman from whom you see ill conduct with her husband, such as when she acts as if she is above her husband, disobeys him, ignores him, dislikes him, and so forth. When these signs appear in a woman, her husband should advise her and remind her of Allah's torment if she disobeys him. Indeed, Allah ordered the wife to obey her husband and prohibited her from disobeying him, because of the enormity of his rights and all that he does for her. The Messenger of Allah said,

����� ������ ������ ������� ���� �������� �������� ���������� ����������� ���� �������� ����������ǡ ���� ������ ������� ��������ǻ

(If I were to command anyone to prostrate before anyone, I would have commanded the wife to prostrate before her husband, because of the enormity of his right upon her.)

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
IssaEl999 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IssaEl999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2011 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by B.H. B.H. wrote:

What exactly does the Holy Quran say the women are doing wrong and deserve to be possibly beaten for?  Is it arrogance, rebellion, adultery or what?

El's Holy Qur'aan 4 ; 34 - 42 , And I Quote ; Disunion And Reconciliation Between A Couple .

Edited by IssaEl999 - 30 March 2011 at 5:56pm
El's Holy Qur'aan , States In Chapter 17 ; 81 , '' And Say ; Truth Has ( Now ) Arrived , And Falsehood Perished ; For Falsehood Is ( By Its Nature ) Bound To Perish (81 ) .
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2011 at 3:25am
Originally posted by B.H. B.H. wrote:

Hi B.H, that is a valid question. i.e. What would be a valid sharaee excuse (sharaee = islamically legal) for a man to hit his wife? For example, if the wife & husband have a quarrel, (which is the most natural couple thing to do) - can he beat her?

I agree with the interpretations which say that rather than 'allowing' domestic abuse, this ayah is setting ground rules. i.e. what would constitute domestic abuse. It is also providing you alternate solutions to blowing off the lid and going berzerk (i.e. a husband needs to cool down and do the following, steps 1. 2. etc).

The Prophet (s.a.w) also said that a husband cannot hit his wife on the face, cannot leave a mark on her, cannot inflict pain...  The Prophet's idea of 'beating' was with a 'toothstick', called a miswaak in arabic. (Think of a toothbrush). I don't even like using the word 'beat'! That is so unlike Prophet Muhammad, he was of exemplary character. In fact I find it amusing and endearing that the Prophet when angry once said to a member of the household: If I did not fear Allah, I would beat you with this tooth-stick! (toothbrush in the old days).

And 'beating' is a very extreme, last resort kind of a thing when the household is going haywire and really there is no option but to express the gravity of the situation. More in cases like outright unislamic behaviour such as adultery etc.

Many muslims and non-muslims seem to think that this verse sanctions domestic abuse - whereas that is not so. There is another instance from Prophet Muhammad's Sunnah when he heard that a muslim woman was marrying so & so, to which he offered his advise/caution and said, So & so is known to beat his wives.
Another hadith from Prophet Muhammad, he referred to the Muslim husbands and said, would you beat your wives like animals in the day and then sleep with them at night?

I am a Muslim woman, and I can safely vouch that my religion teaches men chivalry, and treats me like a sensitive being that needs to be protected. Alhamdulilah! Whenever I have come across boorish men, they have always been the ones who are culturally raised, and are far from religion. Whenever I have met pious Muslim men, they have always earned my respect because of the way they perceive and treat women. :)

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2011 at 4:05am
Further Reading on the subject:

Hamza Yusuf remarked in a study session,

�How can you beat someone, lightly? The hadith of Prophet Muhammad  that every man is like a shepherd is for that reason � a shepherd is compassionate and merciful. He does not beat the animals, he knows he can easily get his flock to follow his direction. Beating is haram... there should never be any physical beating. Nobody should be hit; discipline is not violence. This is a �non violent strike� � no strike that causes tissue harm, or bruises... The obedience here [for the husbands] are to do with huquq (rights).�

The Prophet Muhammad  had the greatest tests in his marriage. And yes he did become upset and angry. But he never hit his wives. He never raised his hand, not once; he did not even raise his voice when verse 4:34 gave permission to do so. `Umar (ra) the khalif is another classic example of balance. His wife Attika shouted at him in front of a guest but he remained silent. His guest asked him why he put up with it and `Umar said, "she loves me, she maintains my home, cooks for me, she does all this - so why should I get angry when she complains about my shortcomings?"

It is usually too late when we remember the Prophet's  hadith"Abusing a Muslim is a sin, and killing him is disbelief," (Bukhari & Muslim). The Messenger of God would not contradict what was written in the Qur'an. A marriage is not a battlefield, albeit it is a form of jihad, one that is supposed to bring you closer to God. If your spouse is bringing you closer to divorce or the hospital, you have some decisions to make.

Continuing with the Prophet's words, it is a good thing to understand what is abuse and what is not. 'AbdAllah reported that the Prophet  said, "A believer is not a fault-finder and is not abusive, obscene, or coarse." (Bukhari, Book of Manners #313) This is the ruling for a relationship between believers, how do you think a husband and wife are supposed to be? Swearing at your wife/ husband is wrong. Muttering under your breath is disrespectful. Throwing a vase at them in legitimate pain is also bad and this can lead to more. Verse 4:34 talks about a one-off light strike. The detention or striking should not be on repeat. Remember that as a man what you see as "disciplinary" action or "rage" are violent to a woman. Say, hypothetically, you did hit your wife - you struck her once in hysterical anger. Stop. Move back. Apologise. Spend the rest of your time making it up to her. Restore that trust and build on that protection. You would not imagine how deep one strike affects a woman. Her children's children will feel that pain.

There is a custom in looking for a calm partner, by testing the extent of their anger. Ideally the potential partner is questioned or provoked (within reason) to check his/ her reactions. Do they explode? And in that answer is a hint of the joy to come. A woman came to the Prophet  for advice about a suitable spouse, saying, "Abul Jahm and Mu'awiah have proposed to marry me. The Prophet (by way of advice) said: As to Mu'awiah he is very poor and Abul Jahm is accustomed to beating women." (Muslim) A poor man is better than a violent man.

Islam deals with people the way they are. Islam does not say this is how you were supposed to be. Islam says this is how you are supposed to be, given that you behave in such a way (read that again). People are imperfectly perfect therefore never place a person on such a high pedestal that when they fail you are deeply disappointed. On the same scale, never hate a person for their mistakes. And every single person you have come across has made a mistake. Prophets are no longer with us. Our marriages are flawed and so are we, but "The most perfect Muslim in the matter of faith is one who has excellent behavior; and the best among you are those who behave best toward their wives." (Tirmithi)

Edited by Chrysalis - 31 March 2011 at 4:06am
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic