IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Awrah of the Muslimah  with other Sr’s.  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Awrah of the Muslimah with other Sr’s.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA-NIQAABI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2007 at 8:26am

Assalamu'Alaikum,

JazakAllahKhair,

Thank you for posting these links if you click on your first link and go to the bottom and click on in blue 37475 or something like that you'll find this...this is what I was looking for earlier but could not find on evidences...Mash'Allah.

We can go round and round about whether to cover our hair with other sisters or not but the issue is up to your level of Imaan and a decision you will have to make in your own life. 

We know Allah(swt) is watching us everywhere and not only will our actions effect us but they will be carried on our husbands and fathers shoulders as sin if we did not adhere to what Allah(swt) want us to.

There are many fatwahs of modern day that have been issued on this and the reason being that women are not safe among other women that are not within the family unit. These women could speak about your appearence to other males or females outside your family and create fitnah or an attraction to you that you would not want. To have someone desire what you have or what you look like or you in this way is not pleasing to Allah(swt) his commands are protections for us to remain safe and promote Islam in a positive manner.

Again thank you for this link...I love the last sentence about covering infront of our children....Mash'Allah this is true you must set a good moral example for them so they will know how to run their homes when they are grown and married.

What is a woman permitted to uncover in front of other women and mahrams?

Question:
What is your opinion of what many women do nowadays, whereby they wear very short clothes when they are with other women and there are no men present? Some of these clothes show a large part of the back and stomach, or they wear these short clothes (like shorts) in front of their children at home?.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.  

The Standing Committee for Academic Research and Issuing Fatwas issued a statement on this matter, which reads as follows: 

Praise be to Allaah, the Lord of the Worlds, and blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad, and upon all his family and companions. 

The believing women at the beginning of Islam were extremely pure, chaste, and modest, which was the blessing of belief in Allaah and His Messenger and following the Qur�aan and Sunnah. Women at that time used to wear concealing garments, and it is not known that they used to uncover themselves when they met one another or when they met their mahrams. The women of this ummah followed this mode of behaviour � praise be to Allaah � generation after generation until recently, when corruption and impropriety entered the way women dress and behave for many reasons, which we do not have room to discuss here. 

Because of the large number of questions that have been sent to the Standing Committee for Academic Research and Issuing Fatwas about women looking at women, and what women should wear, the Committee is telling all Muslim women that women are obliged to have an attitude of modesty, which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) described as being part of faith and one of the branches of faith. One aspect of the modesty which is enjoined by Islam and by custom is that women should cover themselves, be modest and adopt an attitude and conduct that will keep her far away from falling into fitnah (temptation) and doubtful situations. 

The Qur�aan clearly indicates that a woman should not show to other women anything other than that which she shows to her mahrams, that which she customarily uncovers in her own home and when doing housework, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): 

��and not to reveal their adornment except to their husbands, or their fathers, or their husband�s fathers, or their sons, or their husband�s sons, or their brothers or their brother�s sons, or their sister�s sons, or their (Muslim) women (i.e. their sisters in Islam)��

[al-Noor 24:31] 

If this is the text of the Qur�aan and this is what is indicated by the Sunnah, then this is what the wives of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and the womenfolk of the Sahaabah used to do, and the women of the ummah who followed them in truth until the present day. What was usually uncovered in front of the people mentioned in this verse is what women usually uncover when they are at home and when doing housework, which is difficult to avoid, such as uncovering the head, hands, neck and feet.  

With regard to going to extremes in uncovering, there is no evidence in the Qur�aan and Sunnah that this is permissible. This is also the way that leads to a woman tempting or being tempted by other women, which happens among them. It also sets a bad example to other women, as well as being an imitation of kaafir women, prostitutes and immoral women in the way they dress. It was proven that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: �Whoever imitates a people is one of them.� Narrated by Imam Ahmad and Abu Dawood. In Saheeh Muslim (2077) it is narrated from �Abd-Allaah ibn �Amr that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) saw him wearing two garments dyed with safflower, and he said, �These are from the clothing of the kuffaar � do not wear them.� 

It is also narrated in Saheeh Muslim (2128) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: �There are two types of the people of Hell whom I have not seen: people with whips like the tails of cattle, with which they beat the people, and women who are clothed yet naked, misguided and leading others astray, with their heads like the humps of camels, leaning to one side. They will not enter Paradise or even smell its fragrance, although its fragrance may be detected from such and such a distance.�  

The meaning of the phrase �clothed yet naked� is that the woman is wearing clothes that do not cover her, so she is clothed, but in fact she is naked, such as when she wears a thin dress that shows the colour of her skin, or a dress that shows the outline of her body, or a short dress that does not cover part of her limbs. 

So what Muslim women have to do is to adhere to the guidance followed by the Mothers of the Believers (the Prophet�s wives) and the womenfolk of the Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them), and the women of this ummah who followed them in truth, and strive to cover themselves and be modest. This is farthest removed from the causes of fitnah and will protect them from the things that lead to provocation of desires and falling into immorality. 

Muslim women must also beware of falling into that which Allaah and His Messenger have forbidden of imitating kaafir women and prostitutes, in obedience to Allaah and His Messenger, and in the hope of attaining the reward of Allaah, and for fear of His punishment. 

Every Muslim must also fear Allaah with regard to the women who are under his care, and not let them wear things that Allaah and His Messenger have forbidden, such as provocative clothes, or clothes that are revealing or tempting. He should remember that he is a shepherd and will be responsible for his flock on the Day of Resurrection. 

We ask Allaah to set the Muslims� affairs straight, and to guide us all to the straight path, for He is All-Hearing, Ever-Near and Ever Responsive. May Allaah send blessings and peace upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon his family and companions. 

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa�imah, 17/290 

It also says in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa�imah (17/297): 

What a woman is permitted to uncover in front of her children is that which is customarily uncovered, such as the face, hands, forearms, feet and so on. 

And Allaah knows best.

herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2007 at 11:44am
Originally posted by Muslimah07 Muslimah07 wrote:

Allah has already permitted us Muslim women to not "cover up" in front of other women--so why are people trying to 'forbid' something that Allah has already permitted?

As far as women going to the hellfire for not being fully covered--that is not written anywhere in Koran. Allah says He will weigh all our our deeds. Allah also said that "The Best Clothing is that of Righteouesness".

As far as trying to say that dancing with other women present at women gatherings is a sin---seems opposite of what Allah has said when he permitted women to reveal their beauty in presence of other women.

We have to stop making Islam seem like such a difficult and harsh religion-- as doing so probably turns many women away from Islam or staying with Islam after they convert.

Salaamu Alaykum,

Here here!

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2007 at 11:53am

Originally posted by Hayfa Hayfa wrote:

As for the first part, which is a woman's dancing in front of her husband. If her dancing is natural and not professional � i.e. she did not learn how to dance, as is the fashion of this time � even if she stirs the desires of the man, then there is no text that can be found that forbids this. But this is on the condition that it occurs between her and her husband only. As for the case where she has learned to dance and she applies the rules of modern-day dancing, then this is not permissible. This is because I believe that if she will do that in front of her husband, then she will surely also do it in front of other men besides her husband.

Interesting.. to think that if a woman learned to "dance" before becoming a moslem and dances for her husband then she'll do it for others.. interesting to have this idea..

Salaamu Alaykum,

Dear Sister, this provocative, foolish and degrading statement caught my attention also. This person is clearly misogynistic -- a person who hates and mistrusts women merely because we are women.  This is not an Islaamic ruling, and I thank my Loving Lord He has not only  provided me with a brain to realize this man's flagrant misguidance and mistakes in Islaamic thought but also that Sister Hayfa and Sister Muslimah can also see through this man's obfuscatory statements which clearly state that the lowly masses like us shouldn't even question this man's sources as he is a scholar. 

No thanks, man.  Not today, not tomorrow, not next week, not ever.

Salaamu Alaykum

Edited by herjihad
Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
Muslimah07 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muslimah07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2007 at 1:00pm

Dear USA-NIQAABI,

Any Muslim woman whose Number 1 focus is on Clothing, Hijab, and Niqab has a VERY WEAK and LIMITED understanding of Islam.

You also seem obsessed with Hadiths that go agaisnt the Koran--and you tell us to even wear hijabs while in our own homes! That is not only crazy, but it is insane.

Allah has warned us not to follow those "who make up lies" against Allah. Any Hadith that is the opposite of what Allah has told us is a LIE.

If all you understand from the Koran is hijab--hijab--hijab--and niqab--niqba---niqab--then you are MISSING OUT on what it means to be a Muslim: good deeds, kindness, forgiveness, faith, helping those in need, striving, fasting, and so much more. 

HIJAB AND NIQAB DOES NOT MAKE YOU A MUSLIM. If you think it does, then just wait until Judgement Day when the angels open your Book of Deeds.

Once again--Allah has said that the Best Clothing is that of Righteousness. So, Allah is telling is that Clothing and Righteouesness are 2 separate things.

This is soo silly. I cant believe I'm letting this get me upset. Thank You Herjihad. So Glad that Islamicity has women with Brains! 

Edited by Muslimah07
USA-NIQAABI View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA-NIQAABI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2007 at 3:25pm

Assalamu'Alaikum Muslimah07,

I'm so sorry to see your anger and very hurt filled words in response to this thread....

Insha'Allah can you please tell me from your post does passing judgement on others without knowing them and acusing them of falsehoods make you a muslimah?

Hadiths don't go against the Quran, and as far as the Shariah rulings and fatwas' I don't have a lot of free time but Insha'Allah if you would like me to over the course of the next few weeks compile of list of names for you to go down and discredit and pass jugement on them as well. I can pm them to you or post them here.

As I said in my previous post I was very thankfull that the other sister found the link that I had been looking for to post and I did post her link.

If you think that it is wrong to observe hijab while in your home or while working in your yard you are wrong because although it is up to you to decide what is best for you it is also not your responsibility to tell me that what I do is wrong.

I live in a busy neighborhood if I want to open my drapes to let the sun light in and want to sit and work at my computer by the front window where people are passing by or stoping in to say "Salaam" than why is it wrong. If I stand on the sidewalk outside my house by the mailbox and look into my home I can see the living room and other rooms from the street why is it wrong to observe hijab in the house than? Should I say "Oh that's crazy I don't care if the cars going down the street or the delivery people that stop next door or my neighbors walking their dog see me while I'm cleaning up or cooking dinner?...that is wrong!

JazakAllahKhair for your post....it has given me much insight into you and your point of view and I do appreciate being introduced to that. Thank You.

No sister you are correct hijab doesn't make the muslimah...it's the intention the niha that goes behind it every time you pin it in place...

MasSalaama

Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2007 at 10:14pm

If one wants to wear it in one's home, no problem.

With other sisters seeing one without hijab, and they might tell a man.. so what?? What do I have to do with another's actions? And besides he still cannot see..

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
amah View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2007 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by Muslimah07 Muslimah07 wrote:

Dear USA-NIQAABI,

Any Muslim woman whose Number 1 focus is on Clothing, Hijab, and Niqab has a VERY WEAK and LIMITED understanding of Islam.

You also seem obsessed with Hadiths that go agaisnt the Koran--and you tell us to even wear hijabs while in our own homes! That is not only crazy, but it is insane.

Allah has warned us not to follow those "who make up lies" against Allah. Any Hadith that is the opposite of what Allah has told us is a LIE.

If all you understand from the Koran is hijab--hijab--hijab--and niqab--niqba---niqab--then you are MISSING OUT on what it means to be a Muslim: good deeds, kindness, forgiveness, faith, helping those in need, striving, fasting, and so much more. 

HIJAB AND NIQAB DOES NOT MAKE YOU A MUSLIM. If you think it does, then just wait until Judgement Day when the angels open your Book of Deeds.

Once again--Allah has said that the Best Clothing is that of Righteousness. So, Allah is telling is that Clothing and Righteouesness are 2 separate things.

This is soo silly. I cant believe I'm letting this get me upset. Thank You Herjihad. So Glad that Islamicity has women with Brains! 

Assalaamualaikum,

Please read the guidelines.

4. When discussing issues dealing with Islam, please support your comments with the Quran or Sunnah. Mocking any Quranic reference, Hadith, scholar, or member will not be tolerated. If you are stating something about a religion, please list your source. If it is an opinion, please state this fact.

15. We will not tolerate personal attacks on participants from ANY Community (personal attacks are defined as comments that reflect upon the person instead of their opinion). Furthermore, any insults intended to ANY religion, ANY prophet of God, or ANY holy scripture shall be removed.

http://www.islamicity.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4589& ;PN=1

Allah is Sufficient as a Walee (Protector) and Allah is Sufficient as a Naseer (Helper).
(Surah An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #45)
Muslimah07 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muslimah07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2007 at 8:11am

Believe me, I Stand By What I Said.

Allah tells us that when a Muslim does something wrong, all Belivers must stand out against it. I will not be Silenced by any woman just because I told the Truth.

The real crime is people who come onto Islamicity and attempt to misguide and oppress Muslim Women around the world by Contradicting the Koran with statements telling us to cover up in front of other women, wear hijab in the house, cover up in front of children in our homes, and that women will go to hellfire if they do not cover their hair--When The Koran Says The Opposite of all those statements. 

Statements like this are the reason why there is female circumcision, honor killings, bride burnings, and so many other acts of violence against Muslim Women around the world today. There are "scholars" and "fatwahs" to support all of these acts! It takes Strong Muslim Women to stand up and speak out whenever we see people trying to take away our rights.

Incorrect statements can be very damaging to new Muslimahs, and even cause some women to leave the religion--which is common. I was blessed to have a Muslim father who taught me there is difference between Islam and "His-Lam" --but many Muslimahs dont know the difference--and they can be very intimdated by these riduculously harsh Muslims who make women feel like they're going to hell simply because they do what Allah allows them to do.

Edited by Muslimah07
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic