IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - A question to all my Christian friends  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A question to all my Christian friends

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 23>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnnieTwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2007 at 5:34am
<>Annie,

From you: "Not in every chapter.  The Old Testament has prophecies of the coming Messiah.  Christians believe that Jesus is that Messiah."

I know Christians believe that Jesus was that messiah but the Jews do not believe that he was THAT messiah and their messiah. Christians prove that using the OT, while the Jewish Holy Scriptures do not.

<>The Messianic Jews do accept Jesus as their Messiah and they use the same Hebrew Scriptures that their Jewish brothers do.  Jews have tended to change their minds about the prophecies of the Messiah in their scriptures.  I believe they do this as an argument against Jesus being their Messiah.

BMZ wrote:
Of course, when we read the Jewish Holy Scriptures, we do not find Jesus at all.

And you wrote, Annie: "Yet you find in the Qur'an that Jesus is identified as the Messiah."

Both the Muslims and the Christians are telling the Jews that Jesus was the messiah, promised to them but they don't believe that either.

No, they don't.  The Qur'an gives no basis for Jesus being the Messiah.

BMZ wrote:
My question: Is there a single prophecy about Paul in the Jewish Holy Scriptures or the Christian Old Testament?

From you, Annie: "Why should there be?  Do you see prophecies of Peter, James and John in the Old Testament?"

Yes, there should be. Paul is the heavyweight of Christianity. Peter, James and John have been dwarfed by him. Do you see anything in details written by James and Peter. We see nothing much from James and Peter. The Road to Damascus story deserves a prophecy, in my opinion as that matter should have other witnesses. 

No, there is no reason why Paul should have been prophecised in the Hebrew Scriptures anymore than any other Apostle should have been.  You may think that Paul "dwarfed" the other Apostles but that is certainly not true.  Peter is considered the first Pope by the Roman Catholic Church and they represent at least half if not more than the total Christian faith.

James, the brother of Jesus, was very prominent in the early church.  Mark is the testimony of Peter; Peter wrote two books and James wrote one.

Paul's writings represent the issues facing the early church.  If we didn't have them we would not know what those issues were.

It is enough that Jesus appointed Paul an apostle.

BMZ wrote:
 If the NT had to have so much material and teaching from Paul who overran Jesus in teaching, there should have been some prophecies about Paul too. I  find nothing.

From you, Annie: "Paul proclaimed the Messiah, just as Peter did.  We don't find Peter in the Old Testament either."

Question: Did Jesus proclaim he was THAT messiah in his own words? Qur'aan does talk about that and says that he did proclaim. Peter has no relevance in my question as he does not have the most major contribution.

Yes, Jesus said he was that Messiah and his disciples believed that he was.  I believe Jesus.

From you, Annie: "Interesting question though."

Yes, it is an interesting question and so far no one has been able to answer that. 

I have answered it.

From you, Annie, "Seems odd to us that Muhammad's name is not in the Old Testament either.  Strange since he is supposed to be the seal of the prophets."

Muhammad's name had been erased from the Bible, Annie. You know well that Bible was continuously edited and re-edited throughout the history upto the 15th or 16th century.  How could he have remained there after the rise and surge of Islam.

Muhammad's name has not been erased from the Bible.  It was never there.  The Bible has not been "edited and re-edited throughout the history up to the 15th or 16th century."  Our translations come from the manuscripts dated in the 2nd to the 4th century.  These manuscripts were in existance before Islam came into being.

Edited by AnnieTwo
14If you are reproached for the name of Christ, blessed are you, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests upon you. On their part He is blasphemed, but on your part He is glorified. 1 Peter 4

BMZ View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2007 at 6:14am

Annie,

All of us are in agreement that there was not and there is not a single prophecy about Paul in the past scriptures. Good! Let's move on till someone comes and answers my questions as you do not seem to understand where I am coming from.

For Jesus to call him from the heavens by striking him down with a light or flash in the broad day light, should have been an event to have witnesses or someone to testify with his testimony.

When similar happened to Jesus, John the Baptist is said to have been the witness and it was his testimony. Even Jesus did not ever talk about the day the spirit went down into him after he came out of water, like a dove or lightning.

And here we have Paul who comes to Gentiles and impresses them with his own one-man testimony and we don't see him working for years, with the elders of Jerusalem who learnt direct from Jesus and who had first-hand knowledge.

We do not find him teaching and explaining what Jesus taught. Instead, we find him talking of salvation through the suffering, blood and death of Jesus on the cross only by just believing in Jesus, a salvation which Jesus himself never spoke of and a salvation of the kind that even the gospels do not mention. He talks about the particular sin which even Jesus never talked about.

Instead of Christianity being taught by the elders in Jerusalem, the Pauline Christianity came back from Rome and Greece to Jerusalem after all were silenced. Had he not gone West, there would have been no Trinity, no triune God, no Son of God. Only the Lord Almighty God of Jesus would have been prayed to!

What Paul did was to please the Romans and the Greeks.

Believe me.

Patty View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2007 at 6:41am

BMZ wrote:

"Peter has no relevance in my question as he does not have the most major contribution."

The First Letter (or Epistle) of Peter

Abbreviation: 1 Pet   (full text)   [study guide]
Attributed Author: "Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ" (1:1a)
Named Recipients: "to the exiles of the dispersion." (mainly Gentile converts) in five Roman provinces of Northern and Western Asia Minor (1:1b-2)
Where From: definitely Rome, whether by Peter or not (see 5:13; "Babylon" is used as a code name for Rome after 70 AD)
Date: if by Peter, then early 60's, just before his death in 64/65; if pseudepigraphic, probably from the 70's or 80's
Authenticity: possibly by Peter, but writing through his scribe, Silvanus (5:12); or pseudonymous, by a disciple of Peter (possibly Silvanus, who was associated with Peter and the Jerusalem church; cf. Acts 15:22, 27, 32)
Unity & Integrity: probably a single writing; but some scholars see 4:12-5:11 as a later addition, after some persecution has started
Sources: quotes from the OT (1:16, 24-25a; 2:6-8, 10, 22; 3:10-12; 4:18; 5:5);  alludes to sayings and teachings of Jesus (1:22; 3:8; 4:8, 14);  probably also incorporates older Christian hymns and professions of faith (3:18-22)
Literary Genre: an "encyclical" or circular letter, intended for several different churches at the same time
Language: very good Greek
Purpose: to argue that Christians are not a threat to Roman social order, since they live ethically; to encourage Christians to persevere in faith despite innocent sufferings and persecutions [click here for more details]

And, we have 2nd Peter:

The Second Epistle (or Letter) of Peter

Abbreviation: 2 Pet   (full text)   [study guide]
Attributed Author: "Simeon Peter, a servant/slave and apostle of Jesus Christ" (1:1a)
Named Recipients: "to those who have received a faith as precious as ours through the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ" (1:1b); intended for a group of Gentile Christians, possibly in Asia
Date: probably the last NT work written, as early as the 90's or as late as the 120's;  if by Peter, then just before his death in 64/65
Where From: unknown; probably Rome
Authenticity: almost certainly pseudonymous, by someone who admired Peter and appeals to his authority
Unity & Integrity: not seriously disputed; a single letter
Sources: quotes the OT (2:22a) and a non-biblical proverb (2:22b); often alludes to other OT texts (1:20-21; 2:4-10; 3:11-13); presupposes knowledge of the Transfiguration (1:17-18) and of Paul's letters (3:15-16); ch. 2 is closely based on the Letter of Jude
Literary Genre: a "testament" (1:12-15), but in the form of a letter (3:1-2)
Language: fairly good Greek
Purpose: stresses the preservation of apostolic teachings, esp. on ethics (proper Christian living) and eschatology (Christian hope for the final judgment) [click here for more details]

I'm sure I don't need to remind you that Peter holds a very special place in the hearts and minds of all Catholics, as he was made our first "papa", or pope, by Jesus Christ Himself!

God's Peace!

Patty

I don't know what the future holds....but I know who holds the future.
BMZ View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2007 at 6:42am

Annie,

Before I retire for the night, I refer to the following from you:

"James, the brother of Jesus, was very prominent in the early church.  Mark is the testimony of Peter; Peter wrote two books and James wrote one."

In fact, James and Peter should have written the most. Why was Paul's material chosen, when in his own words he is the lowest of all the apostles? By the way, he appointed himself. Jesus never appointed him and there is no proof.

"Paul's writings represent the issues facing the early church.  If we didn't have them we would not know what those issues were."

I don't agree with that. In fact, the early church should not have had any issues as Jesus had just left. The early church had everything crystal clear, except that it had not been built where Jesus exactly wanted it built, i.e., on the rock. Paul built it in Rome. 

"It is enough that Jesus appointed Paul an apostle."

What proof is available there? Just Paul's own testimony? Did the elders James, Peter and others know of that. All they knew was that there was a Paul who was a missionary among Gentiles. It is not enough, Annie.

Patty View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2007 at 6:43am
Originally posted by ak_m_f ak_m_f wrote:

Originally posted by bmzsp bmzsp wrote:

Welcome back and greetings, Patty.

I knew Annie and you would not be able to resist.

Right back at ya, ak_m_f! 

Happy New Year!

Patty

Patty View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2007 at 7:06am

Here is how Rome, the Vatican, feels about the dalits and India.  At least the Muslims and Christians are working together there, which I feel is GREAT!!!

INDIA: HINDU CAMPAIGN AGAINST MISSIONARIES' "DIABOLICAL" PROSELYTISM
Accuse Church of Helping Poorest Caste

NEW DELHI, MAR 8 (ZENIT).- The largest Hindu organization in India launched a campaign against the "diabolical proselytism" of Christian missionaries, carried out under the guise of "social service." The Holy See's agency "Fides," reported that more than 15,000 members of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) [Volunteers for National Association], engaged in a 15-day door-to-door campaign throughout the city of Delhi, to "enlighten" the population about the Christian missionaries' plan to conquer India. The campaign began on February 22 and ended on March 7.

According to the RSS, which inspires the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) currently in power, the Christian strategy has three phases. The first is to discredit the Hindu image of peaceful tolerance. Then the Christians trigger conflict between Hindu organizations, and manipulate the media to give broad coverage to this conflict. Finally, they distribute thousands of Bibles in the local regional languages.

The RSS began in 1925 as a religious army to protect Hindu communities from the influence of Islam and Christianity. It provides its members with basic military training and holds camps for ideological discussion. It was the RSS that assassinated Mahatma Gandhi for his policy in support of Moslem minorities in India. Although Moslems are the primary target, eight months ago the RSS started an anti-Christian campaign denouncing "forced conversions." Its members were responsible for the numerous violent incidents against Christians in 1998.

Moslems and Christians have joined forces to face Hindu fundamentalism. The "Harmony Center," a Catholic institution for inter-religious dialogue, and the Jamia Islamia Moslem University of New Delhi, have launched a joint campaign to counter the fundamentalism that characterizes the pro-Hindu policies of the federal government. The campaign began with a demonstration on February 24 at Delhi University Students' Center, and moved on to Trikona Square in front of the University Library. Five thousand youths participated.

According to Fr Sebastian Vempany, a Harmony Center expert on Islam, "it is important to inform the student community and the ordinary people about the fundamentalist policies of the federal government." "The poor want to live in peace and harmony," Father Vempany told "Fides." He said the government "has destroyed the confidence of Dalits [Untouchables], Tribals, women and minorities, both Christian and Moslem, in the secular character of the State."

There are 17 million Christians in India. They run numerous schools, hospitals, and charitable institutions. The higher caste Hindus see Christian missionaries' endeavors, in education and aid to the poorer castes as a threat to India's rigid social hierarchy.

http://www.zenit.org/english/archive/9903/ZE990308.html

God's Peace,

Edited by Patty
Patty

Patty View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2007 at 7:20am

From BMZ:

"We do not find him teaching and explaining what Jesus taught. Instead, we find him talking of salvation through the suffering, blood and death of Jesus on the cross only by just believing in Jesus, a salvation which Jesus himself never spoke of and a salvation of the kind that even the gospels do not mention. He talks about the particular sin which even Jesus never talked about."

I think you need to sit down and re-read the four Gospels, BMZ.  Jesus did speak about the same salvation as Paul reinforced in the verses of his many books.  Jesus also spoke very specifically about sins, particular sins.....ALL sins.  Any act which breaks a commandment is a grave sin, and that covers all sins.  Jesus did mention these of course.

Peace to You!

Patty

AnnieTwo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnnieTwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2007 at 7:41am

Annie,

Originally posted by BMZ BMZ wrote:

All of us are in agreement that there was not and there is not a single prophecy about Paul in the past scriptures. Good! Let's move on till someone comes and answers my questions as you do not seem to understand where I am coming from.

I do understand where you are coming from.

For Jesus to call him from the heavens by striking him down with a light or flash in the broad day light, should have been an event to have witnesses or someone to testify with his testimony.

There were witnesses.

Acts 9: 7 And the men who journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice but seeing no one. 8 Then Saul arose from the ground, and when his eyes were opened he saw no one. But they led him by the hand and brought him into Damascus. 9 And he was three days without sight, and neither ate nor drank.

<>Acts 9: 10 Now there was a certain disciple at Damascus named Ananias; and to him the Lord said in a vision, �Ananias.�  And he said, �Here I am, Lord.� 11 So the Lord said to him, �Arise and go to the street called Straight, and inquire at the house of Judas for one called Saul of Tarsus, for behold, he is praying. 12 And in a vision he has seen a man named Ananias coming in and putting his hand on him, so that he might receive his sight.�

13 Then Ananias answered, �Lord, I have heard from many about this man, how much harm he has done to Your saints in Jerusalem. 14 And here he has authority from the chief priests to bind all who call on Your name.�

15 But the Lord said to him, �Go, for he is a chosen vessel of Mine to bear My name before Gentiles, kings, and the children of Israel. 16 For I will show him how many things he must suffer for My name�s sake.�

<>17 And Ananias went his way and entered the house; and laying his hands on him he said, �Brother Saul, the Lord Jesus, who appeared to you on the road as you came, has sent me that you may receive your sight and be filled with the Holy Spirit.� 18 Immediately there fell from his eyes something like scales, and he received his sight at once; and he arose and was baptized.

19 So when he had received food, he was strengthened. Then Saul spent some days with the disciples at Damascus.

When similar happened to Jesus, John the Baptist is said to have been the witness and it was his testimony. Even Jesus did not ever talk about the day the spirit went down into him after he came out of water, like a dove or lightning.

You are mixing apples and oranges.

And here we have Paul who comes to Gentiles and impresses them with his own one-man testimony and we don't see him working for years, with the elders of Jerusalem who learnt direct from Jesus and who had first-hand knowledge.

Follow the dots.

<>Acts 9: 26 And when Saul had come to Jerusalem, he tried to join the disciples; but they were all afraid of him, and did not believe that he was a disciple. 27 But Barnabas took him and brought him to the apostles. And he declared to them how he had seen the Lord on the road, and that He had spoken to him, and how he had preached boldly at Damascus in the name of Jesus. 28 So he was with them at Jerusalem, coming in and going out. 29 And he spoke boldly in the name of the Lord Jesus and disputed against the Hellenists, but they attempted to kill him. 30 When the brethren found out, they brought him down to Caesarea and sent him out to Tarsus. 

Acts 11: 25 Then Barnabas departed for Tarsus to seek Saul. 26 And when he had found him, he brought him to Antioch. So it was that for a whole year they assembled with the church and taught a great many people. And the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch.

Acts 11: 29 Then the disciples, each according to his ability, determined to send relief to the brethren dwelling in Judea. 30 This they also did, and sent it to the elders by the hands of Barnabas and Saul.

Acts 15: 22 Then it pleased the apostles and elders, with the whole church, to send chosen men of their own company to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas, namely, Judas who was also named Barsabas, and Silas, leading men among the brethren.

We do not find him teaching and explaining what Jesus taught. Instead, we find him talking of salvation through the suffering, blood and death of Jesus on the cross only by just believing in Jesus, a salvation which Jesus himself never spoke of and a salvation of the kind that even the gospels do not mention. He talks about the particular sin which even Jesus never talked about.

Paul did teach what Jesus taught.

JESUS: He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?" Simon Peter answered, "You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God". And Jesus answered him, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father in heaven". (Matthew 16:15-17)

PAUL: Paul was occupied with proclaiming the word, testifying to the Jews that the Messiah was Jesus. (Acts 18:5)

JESUS: All of them asked, "Are you, then, the Son of God?" He said to them, "You say that I am". Then they said, "What further testimony do we need? We have heard it ourselves from his own lips!" (Luke 22:70-71)

PAUL: Immediately he began to proclaim Jesus in the synagogues, saying, "He is the Son of God". (Acts 9:20)

JESUS: Thomas answered him, "My Lord and my God!" Jesus said to him, "Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have come to believe". (John 20:28-29)

PAUL: From them, according to the flesh, comes the Messiah, who is over all, God blessed forever. (Romans 9:5)

And on and on and on and including:

Matthew 20:28 just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.�

From Peter: Acts 2: 22 �Men of Israel, hear these words: Jesus of Nazareth, a Man attested by God to you by miracles, wonders, and signs which God did through Him in your midst, as you yourselves also know� 23 Him, being delivered by the determined purpose and foreknowledge of God, you have taken by lawless hands, have crucified, and put to death; 24 whom God raised up, having loosed the pains of death, because it was not possible that He should be held by it.

Again from Peter:

<>Acts 4: 8 Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said to them, �Rulers of the people and elders of Israel: 9 If we this day are judged for a good deed done to a helpless man, by what means he has been made well, 10 let it be known to you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead, by Him this man stands here before you whole. 11 This is the �stone which was rejected by you builders, which has become the chief cornerstone.� 12 Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.� 

Instead of Christianity being taught by the elders in Jerusalem, the Pauline Christianity came back from Rome and Greece to Jerusalem after all were silenced. Had he not gone West, there would have been no Trinity, no triune God, no Son of God. Only the Lord Almighty God of Jesus would have been prayed to!

Sounds like just your opinion and nothing else.  Your opinions do not reflect the history of the Church or the accounts in the New Testament

What Paul did was to please the Romans and the Greeks.

What Paul did was preach the Gospel of Jesus.  If he hadn't the Apostles would never have sent him to the Gentiles.

What Paul did was show the pagans that there is only one God and the gods the pagans believed in had no power.

What Paul did was preach a crucified and risen Messiah.

It seems that you need to study the New Testament, BMZ.

14If you are reproached for the name of Christ, blessed are you, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests upon you. On their part He is blasphemed, but on your part He is glorified. 1 Peter 4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 23>
  Share Topic