IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - eating non-zabiha food  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

eating non-zabiha food

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: eating non-zabiha food
    Posted: 11 December 2006 at 10:36pm

Salam Sisters,

I have a question regarding eating non-zabiha food in certain situations. I live in the USA and I have to admit I used to eat non-zabiha chicken like many muslims do but then at one point I felt so bad I gave it up and it's been a couple of months since I haven't had it. Now, I recently started working and my job is very tedious and mind-consuming as I work in IT, I also have to travel a lot and my shift is weird and that leaves me no time to cook food and if I eat out at work I have limited options as there are very few halaal places near my work...my question is is it ok to eat non-zabiha meat in certain circumstances...I  am trying my best not to give up this practice but still want to clarify as I am having a hard time not eating proper nutritious food...any help in this regard would be appreciated.

Thanks.

candid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote candid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2006 at 11:17pm
And why this topic at Women's forum?
rookaiya View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rookaiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2006 at 3:35am
what is non zabiha food. this is the first time that im hearing this word. is it hte same as halaal, i.e another word for halaal
niqab_ummi View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niqab_ummi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2006 at 7:10am

Assalamu'Alaikum Dear Sisters,

Non-Zabiha meat is non halal meat. Meaning meat that has not been slaughtered with the name of Allah(swt). In the western countries meat is mass killed in slaughter factories and is either shocked by electric or water in most cases the blood is left to flow back into the meat briefly vs. draining out in in the halal kill...

Poultry is either shocked or bashed on the head with a blunt object and it has been proven that brain matter has been found in parts of the chickens body such as the liver etc. apoun closer examination.

There are halal meat markets in the west and even companies that market popular western halal only meals that are familly friendly like chicken nuggets, pizza, hamburgers patties, hot dogs, sausages and bacon one company that is in our MI stores in the USA is Sharifah brand and they are approved by the Shariah Council....

The big debate always goes back to the Quran passage that says it is acceptable to eat the meat of the people of the book meaning the jews and christians....however in todays' society can we say that the meat is slaughtered the way it was hundreds of thousands of years ago...I've seen many news reports and in the west this just doesn't happen during the entire process the name of Allah(swt) is never mentioned...

There are a few kosher companies that do take care to do this but if you're going to spend the extra money on kosher buy Halal instead....

In our family we only eat Halal certified meat and we go into a city not far from us once a month and purchase our meat and freeze it...We have several markets close to us that have the Sharifah brand but they are not large enough to run a butcher counter for fresh meat.

I do know many muslim families that as long as it's not pork they eat anything they want...that's a personal decision you have to make for yourself and your family....

There is a very famous hadith that mentions Halal and Haram and the gray area and if you don't know if it is Halal or Haram to avoid it.

There is also Sunnah that if you eat non-halal foods your salat will not be accepted until the entire contents have been digested and excreted from the body. I don't know the Hadith location for this one but have read it and heard it many times in Jummah prayer.

When we travel we choose sea food or vegetarian alternatives like cheeses etc even on the plane we request ahead of time the meal to be either vegetarian or seafood, because that's what we feel is best for us.

Again it should be an easy decision clear cut but so many opinions and modern thinking tend to cloud so many issues not just this one.

The only one that knows for sure if it will be accepted and Halal or not is Allah(swt) on the last day when we are accountable for all that we've done and left undone.

Good Luck with your decision,

MasSalaama

Umm Abdelkhalek
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2006 at 11:23am

You can look for ways to eat vegetarian. The main thing you need to get in protein and there are very good sources for that, like beans and nuts. I rarely eat meat for it not being halal (and a lotf omeat is not too good either). I eat a lot of salad at lunch.

Can you cook at home and bring sandwiches?

If you can bring lunch it saves a lot of money too. 

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2006 at 1:46pm

It was proven in Saheeh al-Bukhaari from �Aa�ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) that some people came to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and said: �Some people bring us meat and we do not know whether they mentioned the name of Allaah over it or not.� He said: �Say the name of Allaah yourselves then eat.� I said: They (the people who brought the meat) were new in Islam and they were not sure whether they said the name of Allaah (when slaughtering the meat) or not. So he said: Say the name of Allaah yourself and eat. So it is permissible to eat even if we do not know whether the name of Allaah has been pronounced over the meat or not. Similarly it is permissible to eat even if we do not know whether it was slaughtered in the proper manner or not, because if the action was done by the appropriate people, the basic principle is that it is valid unless there is evidence to the contrary. If there comes to us meat that has been slaughtered by a Muslim, a Jew or a Christian, then we do not ask about it and we do not say, �How was it slaughtered?� or �Was the name of Allaah mentioned over it or not?� It is halaal so long as there is no proof that it is haraam. This is a way in which Allaah has made things easy for us. Otherwise we would have a problem every time some meat was offered to us, and we would have to ask, �Who slaughtered it? Does he pray or not? Did he say the name of Allaah over it or not? Did the blood flow or not?� and so on. But by the grace of Allaah, if an action is done by the appropriate people, then the basic principle is that it is sound and valid unless there is evidence to the contrary. 

See As�ilat al-Baab il-Maftooh, vol. 1, p. 77, by Shaykh Ibn �Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him).
niqab_ummi View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niqab_ummi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2006 at 1:54pm
Title:

What Constitutes Halal Meat?

Article:

With regards to meat that is not slaughtered according to Islamic rites, (Quran 6:121, 2:168, 5:3, 6:145) Dr Ahmad Sakr, expert on Halal certification in USA, says it is not Halal because of the effect electric shock has on blood drainage. Using electric shock, explains Sakr, means that all of the animal's blood does not leave its body, because electric shock affects the central nervous system. It is Haram to eat meat containing blood, as it is clearly stated in the Quran that Muslims cannot consume blood. "Halal is Halal if the following conditions are taken into consideration," explains Sakr.

The first is that the animal is itself is Halal. That means no pork, for instance.

The second, is that the food the animal consumes does not contain any blood or meat. Sakr explains that the animal has to be herbivorous to be Halal, and adds that an animal becomes Haram if it consumes blood and /or meat.

The third condition Sakr lists for an animal to be Halal is that it should not be given any hormones.

In the meat industry, he says beef and chicken are given female sex hormones. This is meant to increase the weight of the animal in a short period of time.

The effect of consuming an animal with injected female hormones is a reduction in the masculine appearance of boys and men and Sakr mentioned "KFC and and MacDonald's" as two examples. The meat industry also puts the preservatives nitrite or nitrate in meat. These react with the amino group of amino acids of the meat or protein to produce nitroso-amine. This is red pigment. This results in meat still looking red in its color, as if it is fresh, even if it has been on the shelf for one or two weeks. While this may be good for industry, it causes cancer.

A point to note is all KFC chickens labeled "certified Halal" in Muslim countries are slaughtered by Muslims by reciting Bismillah-Allah-hu-Akbar during the process. Birds are slaughtered manually and not mechanically.

Mufti Ebrahim Desai, Darul Ifta, Madrasah In'aamiyyah, Camperdown, South Africa explains mechanical slaughter is of three types: 

1. Chickens are transported to the place of slaughter through a conveyer belt and are manually slaughtered. If there is certainty that the chicken is alive and the Muslim slaughterer recites the name of Allah upon slaughtering, then the chicken is Halal. In this case, only the transportation is mechanical but the slaughtering is manual. This procedure is unanimously permissible and recommended. 

2. Chickens are transported by means of the conveyer belt to the mechanical slaughter blade. Once the mechanical plant comes into operation, the blade also comes into operation and cuts the chicken. This procedure is not permissible. It does not matter if the plant and the blades are controlled together or separately. 

3. The chickens are transported by means of the conveyer belt to many slaughter blades and every blade is controlled separately by a Muslim who recites the name of Allah upon effecting the mechanical slaughter. This procedure conforms to the principles of Shar�e Zabh set out by the Fuqahaa. According to our knowledge, such a procedure does not yet exist.

"Except that which you slaughter." Quran 5:3.  implies that the slaughterer himself has to hold the knife and recite the prayer and merely praying over a mechanical knife is unlawful. Justice Maulana Mufti M. Taqi Usmani Member Shariat appellate Bench, Supreme Court of Pakistan; Deputy Chairman, Islamic Fiqh Academy (OIC) Jeddah; Vice-President, Darul-Uloom Karachi, Pakistan states that each chicken must have an independent recitation of the prayer and whenever the entire neck is severed it will be considered foul and reprehensible. Mufti Allah Bakhsh Jami'at ul Uloom il Islamiyyah, Allama Banuri Town, Karachi, Pakistan differentiates between shooting an arrow whilst praying and that of praying over a machine; the former is done out of helplessness where generally arrows kill the animal, unlike the manual slaughter where one has the full control and ease.

The Islamic Food and Nutrition Council of America, among the few U.S. groups that certify halal producers, who authorized more than 200 North American businesses, ranging from small producers to corporations whose product lines include goods for export to Muslim countries, have conditioned having a Muslim Supervisor throughout these operations, including while transporting the certified meat and preparing it in restaurants, since only his word could be taken legally.

In addition meat done by Christians and Jews may be Kosher but not necessarily Halal since they differ at times in terms of alcohol content, meat derivatives and L-cystein produced from human hair.

Kosher foods may contain alcohol, gelatin prepared from swine, animal fat not slaughtered in God's name. All of these are definitely anti-Halal. Halal foods must come from animals that were slaughtered while Muslims pronounce the name of Allah or His Oneness. Just No electric shocks, No machine blades.

Umm Abdelkhalek
candid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote candid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2006 at 8:59pm
If you don't pray regularly, what you eat or do not eat is a trivial matter.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic