IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Muslims Celebrating Christmas?!?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Muslims Celebrating Christmas?!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muslimah07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Muslims Celebrating Christmas?!?
    Posted: 03 December 2006 at 9:40am

Salaam,

I was born & raised Muslim in America. My Mom told me that she knew Muslims who celebrate Christmas, but I never met anyone who did.

Well, I'm a Teacher at a Public Elementary School. There is an Arab/Muslim Women (covered with hijab) who has a son at the school. (She comes to the school often). On Friday, the boy's Teacher told me that the Muslim Sister said she was "going Christmas shopping" for her children. The Teacher then asked if I was going to celebrate Christmas also.  ( I said No, but I didnt say anything negative about the Muslim Sister's choice to celebrate Christmas).

In America, we all understand that Christians celebrate Christmas to celebrate 'The Birth of Jesus Christ, The Birth of Lord & Savior'. Of course, Muslims believe in Jesus, but dont believe he is "the son of God"

DO SOME MUSLIMS CELEBRATE CHRISTMAS?? I am very curious about this.

Edited by Muslimah07
J.R. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J.R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2006 at 11:58am
Assalamu Alaikum,

To me Christmas in America is mainly cultural than a true religious
celebration. The gift-giving and family gatherings can appeal to many
people in this country, no matter what faith or no faith at all. Perhaps
this sister wants her children to be included in that gift-giving
atmosphere but not necessarily for the purpose of recognizing Christ's
birth as Christians celebrate.
I was raised Christian and I have nothing but the fondest memories of
Christmas during my childhood. The decorations, happy times, and
moments with my family will always be treasured in my heart. I still like
to buy gifts for my family members out of that respect and positive
memories. But personally I would never buy my husband a Christmas gift
and I don't think I would go Christmas shopping for my kids but maybe
this sister is trying her best to make her kids relate to this culture.
One does need to be careful not to take it too far though.
Smile
Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2006 at 12:08pm
I don't clelebrate Christmas in the same way as Americans, however being raised as a christian and loving the festivities we do a few things. We get a very small tree and decorate it and put the gifts from my relatives under the tree. Thats it, we don't exchange gifts or buy anything for each other and give gifts to each other on eid. I do buy christmas presents for my extended family though. Peace
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
taliyya View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taliyya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2006 at 1:28pm

We get a very small tree

Is there supposed to be a difference between getting a small tree and a big tree. If you're going to get a tree go all out up in there.

Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2006 at 3:56pm
I would love a big tree, but want to keep the emphasis on the holiday small. I just love the tree and decorations, nothing to do with celebrating the religous part. I try to make Eid really fun for the kids and go all out with visiting people, gifts and eating somewhere nice,I guess I could decorate for Eid too.
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2006 at 10:35am

Well it is something that can be hard for Moslems to relate.. especially devout Moslems. But Christmas is les and less about religion as it is a cultural phenomena of keeping the economy going by enocouraging you to buy a lot of syuff (often junk in my opinion). The spiritual aspect is rather secondary.  Some people focus on good works and such.

A good quote by Dave Barry:

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice.

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Muslimah07 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muslimah07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2006 at 5:08pm

Christmas is the holiday created to Worship Prophet Jesus as God and the only begotten Son of God; and the rituals of buying Trees is based on Pagan beliefs. So, it's just acceptable now for us Muslims to partake in this because its "fun for the kids"?

I am not a strict Muslim, but I thought that the Belief in 1 God was the first Pillar of Islam... and that "shirk" (worshipping other gods)and Paganism was one of the main reasons why Allah sent Prophet Muhamad.

I mean, I know some Christians who dont even celebrate Christmas because they think the holiday is of falsehood.

I'm surprised that people some Muslims seem to have a somewhat relaxed attitude about this..Please dont think I'm being "judgemental", I'm just expressing my opinion..

(It also amazes me that it seems that many Muslim sisters who wear hijab wont even speak to a Muslim woman who doesnt cover her hair, or even respond to her greeting because she's not "Islamic" enough--but these same hijabed women will go home and put up a Christmas Tree or buy Christmas presents?? I dont get it)

Edited by Muslimah07
hakeema View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hakeema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2006 at 6:03pm

As-Salaam Alaikum sister Muslimah07,

I don't celebrate Christmas anymore.  I used to go spend time with my family on Christmas day, and I thought that was ok.  But soon I became too uncomfortable participating in it.  Plus, I talk to my mother and my family all the time.  My mother and I are very close.  Everytime I saw that tree, and Satan Claus and knowing what it represents I become TOO uncomfortable.  I began to think about what Prophet Jesus(may peace and blessing of Allah upon him) would think if he saw me in a way participating in this holiday when it has pagan roots to it.  How would he feel about me celebrating his so-called birthday, but at the same honoring another false god and saying that he is responsible for getting me something.  When in reality it is Allah who provides me not NO FAT MAN IN A RED SUIT.  HOW WOULD JESUS FEEL?  So I stopped.  Christmas does have pagan roots to it.  I knew people who practice actually practice pagan religions, and they have told me themselves that is holiday historically is not about Jesus.  Also, they told me the history behind it.  Sister Muslimah07 I can send you some information if you like. 

Sister Hakeema

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic