IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Youth
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Aromatherapy in Islam  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aromatherapy in Islam

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lyza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aromatherapy in Islam
    Posted: 03 December 2006 at 5:25am
Assalamualaikum

I've had deep emotional setbacks recently and was devastated with my life. I've turned to prayers to seek ALLAH's forgiveness and guidance and to have peace within myself and Alhamdulillah after four months of being zombie like, I am finally, although slowly, moving on.    A friend suggested burning nice scented candles and oil which I found soothing and calming to my nerves as well. A relative told me that it is not good to have one as I sleep as she associated it with some pagan candle ritual stuff and will attract some forms of elemental energies, especially in my emotional state,  whatever that means. Could anyone enlighten me please  Thanks

Knowledge01 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knowledge01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2006 at 11:48am
Wa Alaikum Salam wa Rahmatullah,

It is best to find comfort, ease of mind,�and relaxation both physically and mentally in salah and thikr because these are the best things we can do.

There is nothing wrong with burning incense or candles for the sake of scent, but for the sake of seeking anything else from them is a type of shirk, in my humble opinion, and should be avoided at all costs.
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2006 at 7:55pm

you might like to check this thread out:

http://www.islamicity.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3073& ;KW=Aromatherapy

Originally posted by Iyza Iyza wrote:

A relative told me that it is not good to have one as I sleep as she associated it with some pagan candle ritual stuff and will attract some forms of elemental energies, especially in my emotional state,  whatever that means. Could anyone enlighten me please  Thanks

I do not believe so, have not come across this in my learning. Yes it is true that paganism uses such things/candles but who doesn't use candles, everyone uses them and they are a source of light.

Aromatherapy for holistic perhaps there is nothing wrong, use with caution yes as many some can not tolerant it, especially if one is pregnant for which you need to see a professional with a certified certificate. Many/lots of people use fragarant candles and oils. people have been using them for thousands of years. I suggest you do some reseach and reading to furthur get more knowledge.

The only harmful thing I see having a candle or oils burning while you are asleep, is the potiential of fires  In this case you should never leave a candle burning or if you cannot attend to it. And sometimes the smell can get too much and/or make you feel ill, some people cannot tolerant bunches of flowers in their room at night. It is best to burn candles and oils during the day so you can attend to it and regulated the amount of aroma that comes from it.

Some people use flower remedies for things/situation, I have and used bach rescue remedy for some emotional upsets to help calm me.

St John's wart is used for depression.

lavender helps also to calm and relax.

Citrus ones are used to help uplift and enegise you.

Vanilla, myrr, sage and some others, even spices are used, have been around for so long that i don't think anyone knows when or where, who started it all.

Doing other natural therapies is good to, massage (even using the aromatherapy oils for massage, some people dab a little lavender on their temples, massage in to help with headaches), acuapuncture, changing diets using foods that help boost your moods and energies,  using herbs which also is used in aromatherapy. 

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
lyza View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lyza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2006 at 5:31am

Salams and thanks for the feedbacks. I guess it all boils down on my intention of using the scented oils and candles rite..

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic