IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Comments & Complaints
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Whisper  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhisper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whisper
    Posted: 21 November 2006 at 4:05am

I believe that sufficient time has passed for the mods to put together a statement regarding Whisper's "change of status." Please inform us of your reason/s for this action.

Peace, Hanan

Cassandra View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2006 at 9:14am

I am in complete agreement with Hanan and other Forum members who have expressed their dismay at Whisper's banning.  For the first time in weeks I have been able to scan over recent developments, and frankly am glad I stayed away!  Some have been banned who certainly should have been.  But Whisper....? I have just read his last few postings and threads he has contributed to, and can see no reason why this decision has been made.  Whisper has continued  "Whispering" in his idiosyncratic way with no real changes.  He has remained as a senior member for many years,  and any points members have disagreed with, they have gone hand to hand with Whisper himself.  Usually, both walked away with smiles on their faces.

I enjoy Whisper's acerbic humour, and many of his points are right on the money.  Whether they are popular or not perhaps rests with the Moderator's own opinions, or perhaps with the hosts of Islamicity themselves?  I don't know. It should not be the point, after all, should it. But this I will warn: If we allow long-standing members to be banned in this seemingly arbitrary manner we open the door to a future Forum quite deafening in its boredom.

Moderators: Bring back Whisper, or face your interlocutors with valid reasons why not.

(Incidentally,I have been told that members at one time were "suspended" for internal "wrongdoing".  Why is this no longer the case?)

Cass

Edited by Cassandra
Sign*Reader View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2006 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by Cassandra Cassandra wrote:

I am in complete agreement with Hanan and other Forum members who have expressed their dismay at Whisper's banning.  For the first time in weeks I have been able to scan over recent developments, and frankly am glad I stayed away!  Some have been banned who certainly should have been.  But Whisper....? I have just read his last few postings and threads he has contributed to, and can see no reason why this decision has been made.  Whisper has continued  "Whispering" in his idiosyncratic way with no real changes.  He has remained as a senior member for many years,  and any points members have disagreed with, they have gone hand to hand with Whisper himself.  Usually, both walked away with smiles on their faces.

I enjoy Whisper's acerbic humour, and many of his points are right on the money.  Whether they are popular or not perhaps rests with the Moderator's own opinions, or perhaps with the hosts of Islamicity themselves?  I don't know. It should not be the point, after all, should it. But this I will warn: If we allow long-standing members to be banned in this seemingly arbitrary manner we open the door to a future Forum quite deafening in its boredom.

Moderators: Bring back Whisper, or face your interlocutors with valid reasons why not.

(Incidentally,I have been told that members at one time were "suspended" for internal "wrongdoing".  Why is this no longer the case?)

Cass

Well put  Hanan & Cass and I second the demands.
I would like to hold my comments till after the real facts are presented by the Mods if there are any
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
Duende View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2006 at 1:45am
Whisper's ban appears arbitrary, owing more to a residual
annoyance among the hallowed mods and admin from some of his
exchanges with moderators.

There has been no official explanation for his banning and the
reasons have been left to us to speculate. Other posters such as
the recent troll we all suffered for weeks, managed to offend a fair
proportion of regular posters on the forum before our general
outcry forced them to move. Whisper always speaks from his
convictions, his style is unique and most of the regular forum
members are regular because we come to read his posts.

If the admin and mods of this site, in what appears to be a sudden
moment of passion, can remove a consistently worthwhile
contributor from the forum, then we don't need another troll
visiting to make us decide not to bother visiting and contributing to
the site any more. Your actions have succesfully upset a majority of
regular posters to the point where most of us are seriously thinking
of not visiting Islamicity anymore.

Whisper's ban seems to me to be a childish and immature reaction
to a long standing member who's forthright style has often
compromised him, but has rarely done anything other than add
interest and information to what is otherwise predominantly a
bland and unexciting forum.

How many times have we seen posters opposing Whisper goad him
and challenge him into taking a position he clearly does not
defend? I'm talking about the many occassions non-Muslim posters
have practically accused him of supporting terrorists and actually
encouraged him to take up arms against American imperialism.

Whisper has always responded with moderation, wit, and a greater
intelligence than his opposition. Perhaps for this reason also, the
mods and admin have been unnable to jointly come up with a clear
reason for his ban.

Public announcements of departure from islamicity have always
seemed to me to be grossly egotistical (why do they feel an
announcement is necessary, their personal sense of importance I
fear is inflated by the excitement of seeing their words 'in print'
albeit only electronically ...) having said that, I am boycotting
Islamicity until and unless they can publicly justify the arbitrary
banning of a Brother whose contributions have always maintained a
buzz across the forum, something no other forum members are
capable of reproducing.

It is Islamicity's loss, akin to the 'home goal' or lethal 'friendly fire'.

Edited by Duende
amah View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2006 at 6:09am

Bismillah irrahman irraheem

Assalaamualaikum Warehmatullahi Wabarakatuh

Dear forum members,

It is sad scenario indeed since we don't really like to ban anyone. Yes, Brother Whisper has been banned. Why was he banned? It has already been announced in the Announcement section. To clarify further, Brother Whisper violated many rules in the past, and continued to do so (inspite of warnings). For example, he would blame all Americans for all the problems. Singling out and targeting a group of people goes against guidelines 1,15, 16. We had sent PMs to whisper in the past and had openly warned him too.

IC rules apply to everyone alike. Each and every member has to follow the guidelines otherwise this forum will become a virtual "battlefield". The members who "attack" any person/community, etc. be warned, IC is firm about this rule. Members who ignore warnings will be banned (do read the guidelines again).

As has been repeated many times earlier, most of the decisions are made after thorough discussions by Moderators/Administrators so no single Moderator / Administrator should be singled out for such things.

While we appreciate that some members expressed here their concern for his ban, it is highly regretted that some seized this opportunity to do score setting. (Angela pointed fingers at brother Rami and we do not appreciate it, because this is backbiting. He is not here to defend himself).  Dear members, please don't speak anything negative about a person who is not present here, and can not reply you.

We wish Brother Whisper good luck, and may Allah bless him and us all and guide us all.

Peace,

Moderator Group

Allah is Sufficient as a Walee (Protector) and Allah is Sufficient as a Naseer (Helper).
(Surah An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #45)
ZEA J View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2006 at 6:12am
Can't you give brother Whisper another chance?
"You will never attain piety and righteousness,(and eventually paradise)until you
spend of that which you love."(Al-Imran:92)
Hanan View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2006 at 10:11am

Bismillah

Thank you, Amah. Your explanation reminded me that, at times, I was also guilty of violating the same rules as apparently Whisper had. For this, as well as for any insult or disrespect towards fellow forum members, I ask forgiveness.

May Allah continue to guide all who visit and participate at IC Forum.

Peace, Hanan

Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2006 at 11:15am

My pointing out Rami was an example of the fact that sometimes the threats of banning are very arbitrary and much to the interpretation of the Moderator.  Brother Rami was rather conservative comparatively.  He and I had many disagreements and I said nothing that I wouldn't have said to his face.  I am a very, open and honest person.  Even if the other person doesn't like what I said. 

Right Hanan?

Backbiting is assuming I would not say such things if Brother Rami was still here.  He knows quiet well that I was offended by his threat to ban me because I expressed belief that the soul enters the body on conception.  (My belief, not Islams.)  And that abortion is nothing short of murder.

Whisper is very anti-American government.  But as an American and non-Muslim.  I ask that you give him another chance.  The US is to blame for many things right now.  Its not singling us out if its true.  However, I had no problems pointing out to him where he crossed the lines.  Whisper was a wonderful contributer to this forum and being Pashtun, he gave us the "other" side of the story.  To be balanced we need to see all sides of an issue.  To be 'nice' about everything just isn't right.  Whisper never really got insulting personally towards any of us Americans and was always careful to express its not the American people but the Government he hated. 

This is not a popularity game.  Whisper has my deepest respect and I sincerely wish that you would let him back.  This is coming from the Kafir American Woman.  If we are not insulted, then the moderators don't really have a case.  Again, I address my issues openly and without pulling punches.  The inheritance tax thread was an example of my disagreeing with Whisper and yet I still respect the man. 

Please reconsider.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic