IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - On reshaping the emuslim community  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

On reshaping the emuslim community

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: On reshaping the emuslim community
    Posted: 18 November 2006 at 3:23pm

As' Salaamu Alaikum,

I can say that the greatest opponent that I face is myself. I say this because I control my thoughts and my behaviors when it comes to my interaction of this world. If I do something I cannot say that the other made me do it, but of course coersion is excluded here. In our Muslim communities around the world the phenonmenon of the lack of accountability still exist. In some of our endeavours we blame others for our problems even when we live thousands upon thousands of miles away from any Middle Eastern community we always blame the Jews. Of course, the situation in the Middle Easter revolves around multiple factors, Jews and Americans included. But our main focal point as a global community must be the continuous education of ourselves, especially our women and children.

I know for many of you, my defiance in Scholarship is annoying and evident but realistically I have a reason why I believe this and a valid point. You see, education is key and can be made much like the use of a gun. It can be used for defense of oneself or family or to harm or to manipulate. I believe there are those among us who are intelligent in the philosophical/theological principles of our religion, but some us this to manipulate the ignorant masses of people to premote their own sick ideology underscoring true Islamic scholarship. True Islamic Scholarship is dead or at least at the moment in the shadows of tyranny.

Thgere are those among us who are in fact scholars but if they open their mouth they are either shot dead or called a heretic. Before Averroes (Ibn Rushd) began to take off globally he was chastise by the same royal court that welcomed him and was banised because "others" didn't agree with his teachings. To the Muslim world globally he was nothing more than a heretic, but to those around him he was a genius of his time. Today he is remembered as one of the most profound thinkers of Islamic scholarship and Philosophy. But why does it take public harassment and many decades later to acheive such knowledge? Why can we not appreciate diversity of knowledge without chastising someone for what we would consider Bid'ah?

Another profound problem that has occured to me in our community is that we do not value educating our women. Yes we offer schools for women but we do so with a painful smile just to appease the world. But what I mean when I talk about educating our women I'm talking about the sciences as well as theology. Our communities over emphasize the study of theology rather than the physical sciences, and when we teach our women the physical sciences they are overwhelming taught with a theological basis. The study of secular academic courses does not take one away from God but makes one versitile in the knowledge of God. God even speaks of the world full of knowledge and that, everywhere we go we find the knowledge of God in it.

Another problem that I see is our outlook on potential mates and potential marriages. There is nothing in Islamic theology nor in the Qur'a nor in Islamic philosophy that states that we must marry our own. I find this type of thinking still pervasive in Muslim communities around the world. Of course, there are some progressive families that think beyond this, but this transformation doesn't happen until they come into a western civilization. Why is that? A similar historical account was the fall of souther Spain and how the Christians recaptured it. One of the problems that befell the Muslims of southern spain was that the Moors and the Almohads clashed and some note because of cultural differences. Although this may be open for debate as far as dates are concerned.

My point here is that it is logically incomprehensible to profess the wisdom of God in his design for diverse cultures yet in our personal homes do no appreciate this by inviting these different ethnic groups in our families. Allah proves that compatibility does not equal success as he himself did not design the world's particular's the same. Our global cultures are adifferent yes but that should not shun us away from interacting with each other on a personal basis. We must go beyond the thought of tolerance to acceptance; and going beyond acceptance to indulging ourselves in different cultures. Part of the tre knowledge of God resides in the knowledge of each other, not our families or ethnic groups but human groups. My thoughts are ideal but if we start critiquing ourselves we can get the cycle of change starting. I hope this is not offensive to anyone. This is just a theory. BY the way it is not a typo when I said "emuslim community" I mean to refer to the online community here....!

Edited by Israfil
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2006 at 10:03pm

Bismillah and Salaams,

Brother, Many times suggestions have been made to the community here to DO things to help our situations.  Play basketball with the kids in your community.  Teach someone something valuable that you know.  Help a Muslim family out by developing a system of visiting checks on impoverished and marginalized Muslims here in America -and Canada and where else you guys are --

Grass roots start out with roots.  Where are the roots guys?  Ideas.  Then action.  Here some ideas.  What do you think?  I think take action!  Otherwise it's just blah, blah, blah, more talk.

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2006 at 4:36am
Originally posted by herjihad herjihad wrote:

Bismillah and Salaams,

Brother, Many times suggestions have been made to the community here to DO things to help our situations.  Play basketball with the kids in your community.  Teach someone something valuable that you know.  Help a Muslim family out by developing a system of visiting checks on impoverished and marginalized Muslims here in America -and Canada and where else you guys are --

Grass roots start out with roots.  Where are the roots guys?  Ideas.  Then action.  Here some ideas.  What do you think?  I think take action!  Otherwise it's just blah, blah, blah, more talk.

Sister Herjihad, you have certainly "hit the nail on the head".  Indeed the cure to all the problems in our ummah lays not with whinning, complaining and pointing fingers but with ACTION.  There is far too much blah, blah, blah and way too little do, do do!

It must start at home, spread into the local community and from there it will spread everywhere.  The time for blah, blah, blah is long past (and becoming a rather annoying feature at this site); the time for each and every one of us to get up and DO SOMETHING is upon us - let's not miss the boat on this one folks!

As long as we are whinning, complaining and pointing fingers at one another we will never be a true community: cyber, local or global.  Wouldn't it be something if this site would be flooded with examples of positive things happening in the Muslim community?

Positive energy feeds positive energy ~ unfortunately the same applies with negative...........

Thanks for the wake up call to us all Sister!

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2006 at 7:44pm

Well, to you two ladies whatever I say maybe "blah blah blah" you both are in a priviledged position of acknowledgement, but to others some cannot see that the community needs some internal changes. It's quite easy to utilize your priviledge by saying that "WE MUST TAKE ACTION" and to stop whinning (yes I know I'm lumped in this column) but you must understand that for some, merely saying to take action when a person is not aware of the ills of our community is null. For instance when I mentioned that racism exist in the community some Muslims in turn say " The Muslim community is multi-racial, therefore racism does not exist." This line of is clearly troubling. Just because an instutition (in this case the religion) produces multi-ethnic groups means that the ideals of the instution universally appeals to these ethnic groups, but it does not mean that racism within this community is exempt.

My point here is that in order to take action we must systematically note the problems plaguing the community. Not only have I done my part in protecting my community (both Muslim and other communities alike) but also am starting some awareness groups. I think "piggy backing" the idea of sexual awareness and safe sex is a great idea. Of course in some Muslim communities the thought is taboo, but many older generation parent sdo not understand that their teenagers are indeed having premartial sex and some may not have the knowledge of doing safe sex. Some Muslims say, that, the idea promotes haram act by propagating "safe, pre-marital sex." Well I counter that, I'd rather promote "sinful, safe sex" then promote "unprotected, sinful safe sex" so pick your poison. The reality in this idea is that teenagers, at least in the Souther California area are having premarital sex more nowadays.

My idea here is to get the msaage across not just by words but of course by action but in order to act I must first get manifest the basic language that is capable of reaching multiple groups. I find it easy for some here to indeed say that we need to stop whinning and act more but there are people who are still ignorant of the problems inflicting the community.

herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2006 at 8:01pm

Bismillah and Salaams,

Well, brother, there is a saying that too much analysis leads to paralysis.

I reiterate that right now there are kids in your community who could benefit from some non-controversial basketball.  Maybe a game of chess (Many muslims do that and many don't -- checkers for the don't group.)  How about someone to take a minute or two after their prayers and say salaams and listen to a kid and encourage him/her in his/her life?  Don't you guys have a homework help night for kids?  Mentor someone now people!

Edited by herjihad
Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2006 at 8:10pm
Yes there are programs such as D.A.R.E. and others but the point here is to in fact pin point those issues and tackle them. In your mind you'd love to void those issues and focus on kids playing basketball which is fine but I'd love to solve current crisis right now. You (as I have seen in your post) have no trouble in commenting on political issues but why when I speak, its a "paralyzing" thought because I'm analyzing the issue? I'm merely point out the problem that we must should be aware of. Awareness is key.
Desting2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desting2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2006 at 2:03pm
COLOR=BLUE]Another profound problem that has occured to me in our community is that we do not value educating our women. Yes we offer schools for women but we do so with a painful smile just to appease the world.

you are absolutely right, not all muslims appreciated women's education. this denial of women's education nothing has to do with Islam, is more about cultural aspect that contradicts Islam.

there are some women who strugle on their way and eventually gained valuable education. and many more stil have no education..

Another problem that I see is our outlook on potential mates and potential marriages

if you want potential mate, you better stick with your race.lol..

seriously so many muslims have these problems..my advice is this,if you follow Islam and leave what contradicts, Insha'Allah you will succeed
mariyah View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariyah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2006 at 4:37pm

Originally posted by Israfil Israfil wrote:

Yes there are programs such as D.A.R.E. and others but the point here is to in fact pin point those issues and tackle them. In your mind you'd love to void those issues and focus on kids playing basketball which is fine but I'd love to solve current crisis right now. You (as I have seen in your post) have no trouble in commenting on political issues but why when I speak, its a "paralyzing" thought because I'm analyzing the issue? I'm merely point out the problem that we must should be aware of. Awareness is key.

Assalaamu alaikum Brother Israfil,

Nice to see you again in the forum.

I do agree on you on many points. I invite any doubting members to read the latest copy of Islamic Horizons (official magazine of ISNA)and read the matrimonial ads and you will see what we mean. In this same magazine you also see articles denouncing Islamiphobia..hmm... to an American who is a non-Muslim this would seem hypocrytical..Why? Many leaders and prominent folk in the American Ummah promote the diversity of Islam..while these ads are a sword in their words.

Get a copy, read em, and you will see.

I am not trying to criticize or demean my fellow members of the Ummah, just make a point that they don't see. Thank you Brother Israfil for standing up to this issue. Sister Jenni has also remarked about the racism within the Ummah.If you are not arab, southeast asian, we seem to be out. hmmm,..I wonder why most of my friends are African, african american...I have overheard arab sisters state in the prayer room that they do not want to share space  with whites or blacks...maybe they should leave?

Doubt my words? I invite all to read a copy of the publication called Islam by choice, by Debra Dirks..

See what these American born sisters have to say.

And then look around with a fresh perspective. True not all are like this, but there are too many for comfort.

ma salaama

"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic