IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Politics > Current Events
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - GI pleads guilty to rape of girl, killing  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGI pleads guilty to rape of girl, killing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: GI pleads guilty to rape of girl, killing
    Posted: 15 November 2006 at 1:32pm

FORT CAMPBELL, Ky. - One of four U.S. soldiers accused of raping an Iraqi girl last spring and killing her and her family pleaded guilty Wednesday and will testify against the others.

Spc. James P. Barker agreed to the plea deal to avoid the death penalty, said his civilian attorney, David Sheldon.

The killings in Mahmoudiya, a village about 20 miles south of Baghdad, were among the worst in a series of alleged attacks on civilians and other abuses by military personnel in Iraq.

Sgt. Paul E. Cortez and Pfc. Jesse V. Spielman, both members of the 101st Airborne Division with Barker, could face the death penalty if convicted in the case in courts-martial at Fort Campbell.

Former Army private Steve Green, 21, pleaded not guilty last week to charges including murder and sexual assault.

Green was discharged from the Army for a �personality disorder� before the allegations became known, and prosecutors have yet to say if they will pursue the death penalty against him.

The indictment accuses Green and others of raping the girl and burning her body to conceal their crimes. It also alleges that Green and four others stationed at a nearby checkpoint killed the girl�s father, mother and 6-year-old sister.

Barker has already given investigators vivid accounts of the assault. An investigator testified during a hearing in August that Barker had said the soldiers drank whiskey and played cards while plotting the assault, that Barker, Cortez and Green took turns raping the girl, and that Green shot her and her family.

Shery View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2006 at 1:56pm

YES THIS IS THE JUSTICE OF USA !

Maybe also jesus will carry those soldiers sin from raping and killing

I think if USA was a respectable country as they pretend

Those soldiers would be dead by now

Shame on USA ( as always )

�� ���� ����� ����� �� ���� ����� ��������� �����

�� ����� ������� �� �����

��� ���� �� ����� ��� ����� �������

����� ��� ������ ����� �� ���� �������

����� ������ � ���� ������� ����
ops154 View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2006 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Shery Shery wrote:

Yeah shame on the USA for bringing these people to trial and to face the DEATH PENALTY.

Sorry in our world we allow for the courts to hear both sides of the story before we kill the prisoner. Then again I guess we could do it your way and rape the accused sister for punishment of his crimes, how about that?

Get it through your heads that I don't support Bush or the Israeli's! Thank your lucky stars for America is here to stay!!!
Shery View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2006 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by ops154 ops154 wrote:

Originally posted by Shery Shery wrote:

Yeah shame on the USA for bringing these people to trial and to face the DEATH PENALTY.

Sorry in our world we allow for the courts to hear both sides of the story before we kill the prisoner. Then again I guess we could do it your way and rape the accused sister for punishment of his crimes, how about that?

How about more disaster inshallah on your way ? as katrina and worse .......

I pray to allah give you as much as your sin and unjustice

Ameen

�� ���� ����� ����� �� ���� ����� ��������� �����

�� ����� ������� �� �����

��� ���� �� ����� ��� ����� �������

����� ��� ������ ����� �� ���� �������

����� ������ � ���� ������� ����
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2006 at 7:31pm

Honestly Shery, you should be glad that these guys are being prosecuted for their crimes. But instead you wish more disasters and more sin and injustice, nice one

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Hanan View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2006 at 8:43pm

Sister Shery, let Allah punish those who deserve punishment because neither you nor I will ever be able to it as swiftly and harshly as only The Almighty can.

As I see it, we (in USA) currently have two types of war crimes to deal with.

1. War crimes committed by Donald Rumsfeld* (and others)

2. War crimes committed by US soldiers** (I�m sure that �US Allies� have also committed such crimes, but we are not talking about them at the moment).

*Principles of international co-operation in the detection, arrest, extradition and punishment of persons guilty of war crimes and crimes against humanity http://www.unhchr.ch/html/menu3/b/p_extrad.htm

**The American killers of innocent Iraqi civilians will receive light or no sentences (my opinion). The USA does not have a history of doing so. An example is the My Lai massacre in 1968 in Vietnam. Captain Medina was found not guilty and Lt. Calley served only 3.5 years, even though he was sentenced to life imprisonment - a light punishment for the �massacre of over 300 apparently unarmed civilians including women, children, and the elderly.� The American public�s interest in such despicable actions, then and now, is usually followed by a lack of interest in the consequences.

Take No Prisoners

Another proud moment in U.S. Military History. U.S. Marines execute an Iraqi to the cheers of fellow marines

-:WARNING:-

This video should only be viewed by a mature audience

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/video1/2iraqiwar.rm

� and this is what the law says:

U.S. ENEMY PRISONER OF WAR (EPW) AND CIVILIAN INTERNEE (CI) OPERATIONS INSTRUCTIONS

Basic U.S. policy underlying the treatment accorded EPW and all other enemy personnel captured, interned, or otherwise held in U.S. Army custody during the course of a conflict requires and directs that all such personnel be accorded humanitarian care and treatment from the moment of custody until final release or repatriation. The observance of this policy is fully and equally binding upon U.S. personnel, whether capturing troops, custodial personnel, or in whatever other capacity they may be serving. This policy is equally applicable for the protection of all detained or interned personnel, whether their status is that of prisoner of war, civilian internee, or any other category. It is applicable whether they are known to have, or are suspected of having, committed serious offenses which could be characterized as a war crime. The punishment of such persons is administered by due process of law and under the legally constituted authority. The administration of inhumane treatment, even if committed under stress of combat and with deep provocation, is a serious and punishable violation under national law, international law, and the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

Violations of this policy, and the laws and regulations may result in an individual being prosecuted as a war criminal. Anyone observing a violation of law, or suspecting one has happened, has a positive legal obligation to report it to appropriate authorities. Failure to do so is a violation in itself.

Convention (I) for the Amelioration of the Condition of the Wounded and Sick in Armed Forces in the Field. Geneva, 12 August 1949. http://www.icrc.org/ihl.nsf/7c4d08d9b287a42141256739003e636b /fe20c3d903ce27e3c125641e004a92f3?OpenDocument

candid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2006 at 11:15pm

It will be better if US hands the soldiers over to Iraq.

This time US is under pressure. I think, at least one soldier will get death penalty. 

Edited by candid
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2006 at 10:21am

Nothing, nothing is perfect.. every country has its system of "justice." They are all infallible.  In every country there are people who are put to death unjustly and others who go free. Typically it will involve is who you are and who you know. How many places do the rich get away with things? So it is quite possible this would happen on other places. But they will go to prison. 

It is interesting that you can say is we were "respectable" this would all change..but then you are accusing people of things whom you never met nor are you presented all the evidence.. it is like when you hear of some terrible case of violence in another country where people go free and then we are told "you don't know the whole story." 

I know many respectable people from all over the world. And yes that includes the US.   

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic