IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Youth
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Cloack? Scarf?  What happened?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cloack? Scarf? What happened?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ysimjee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cloack? Scarf? What happened?
    Posted: 13 November 2006 at 10:41pm

Young Muslims kits it up as fast ends

Eid�s time to show off flashy cars and clothes

29 October 2006

BENJAMIN MOSHATAMA

DESIGNER clothes, flashy cars and pumped-up sound systems were on show at Zoo Lake on Tuesday as Muslim youngsters gathered there to celebrate Eid ul-Fitr.

Eid marks the end of the holy fasting month of Ramadaan and the Muslim community arrived at the lake in large numbers and decked out in their finest.

Mohammed Suffla, 20, made his appearance in a "specially designed" stone-washed denim outfit with yellow shoes, watch and T-shirt.

"I wanted a specific design and to look funky, outgoing and trendy," said Suffla.

Fazlin Ismail, 19, said going to Zoo Lake was about "relaxing" and "meeting people after spending a whole month indoors".

Many of Joburg�s Muslims buy new clothes in advance of Eid, which they wear on the day.

And for Vinesh Sookdar, who spent Eid with his friends at the lake, it is a day to show off brand-new threads.

"We spend one month being religious; this is time to cool down and be ourselves and also show off our new clothes," he said.

But for Shafiek Alexander, 23, the Zoo Lake trip was about more than flashy clothes.

"We are here to meet our future wives," he joked, adding that he and his friends used the opportunity to check out the girls.

Wendel Chinsamy, 19, who was there with his friends, had other priorities.

"We are also here to check out the grandest cars, so we know what we should come with next year," he joked.

But not everybody approved of the young people�s priorities.

Judica Quarsingh, who did not want to reveal her age, spoke of the generation gap.

"There seems to be a lot of fashion and clothing and the latest music. Maybe we should be actually asking ourselves whether we are understanding the fundamental importance of Eid," she said.

____________________________________________________________ __________________________

The above is n email that i received a day after eid.

I'm not sure if i'm the only one to notice this, but our muslim girls and boys are starting to look less like muslims, focusing more on the girls.   The western world has taken them over completely.

The skirts are getting shorter, the tops are becoming more and more see through, and i see the new fashion is now a type of "top" that looks like a bra, what is that?

I wasn't born into a muslim home, no, it was christian.  But when i see how the muslim girls dress when we go to town or for a family function and i look at myself, my husband and some of the older people, then i wonder what will become of the youth?  Why is it only a certain hand full of people that still wear cloack and scarf? 

Even when the girls do wear the so called long tops, it sits so tight that you can see there whole figure and its got no sleeves.  And to top it off the mother and father dont see anything wrong with what there daughter is wearing!  O ya, and the scarf is used as a "jacket" for incase they feel cold....

Is this right?  In my opinion no, but i'm just one person.  Maybe there is more that think the same, maybe not?

Salih88 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salih88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2006 at 2:13pm

Salamualaiku,

Your absolutely right. Its a shame to see people my age act like this. Though they wear a scarf the girls where tight clothes like non-muslims. The boys not only wear these "hip-hop" clothes but they try to act like thugs. I know some guys from Somalia who you would think were from Cali. They think its cool to curse, disrespect others and neglect their prayers. Much of the blame is on the parents. They come to America for a better life and fail to see the assault of the culture on their children. Alhamdulillah, my parents are converts and have kept me away from the foolishness that they had knowledge of. One thing that really gets me is that when I talk to some non-muslims they say that they dislike the lives they are living. Women dislike being treated as objects while the men dislike the emptiness of their "free" lives, and the muslim youth think that life style is cool.

ysimjee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ysimjee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2006 at 10:09pm

I'm so glad to see that i'm not the only one noticing this.

I dont say i'm perfect.  Beleave me, working for a white christian company, they dont really accomodate for muslims.  So wearing cloack n scarf to work, well lets just say i'm working on it.

But a least when i do go to work, i'm mostly covered.  My husband almost had a heart attack the other day when i wore a skirt with a top that didn't cover my backside...

But i dont mind it, a least i know when we have children then they wont be like the rest of the youth.

Another thing i've noticed.  Most of the rapes in the world, besides now the war in iraq, happens to the "western dressed people".  I've notice when i wear my clothing for work, even if its long, men will still look at you, but when you wear a cloack and scarf, its like they scared to look at you.

ak_m_f View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ak_m_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2006 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by ysimjee ysimjee wrote:

when you wear a cloak and scarf, its like they scared to look at you.

Maybe they think that there's a bomb under the cloak

Edited by ak_m_f
ysimjee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ysimjee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2006 at 10:52pm

Ya maybe they do...  But a least there is no "terrorism" happening in sourth africa.  There is more christians here than muslims so the 3rd world countries never yet look for a reason to take over...

charmsahead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charmsahead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2006 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by ak_m_f ak_m_f wrote:

Originally posted by ysimjee ysimjee wrote:

when you wear a cloak and scarf, its like they scared to look at you.

Maybe they think that there's a bomb under the cloak

lol, i notice that too...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic