IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Basics of Islam
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Islam in Diversity  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Islam in Diversity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Islam in Diversity
    Posted: 10 November 2006 at 4:17am

Bismillah irrahman irrahim

Assalamu alaikum

IC Team wants to start a thread in which members can discuss basic concepts of islam through their understanding. Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala says in Quran al-Karim, 2:143] Thus We have appointed you a middle nation', alhamdulillah the best way is the balanced middle way. But through His Mercy we are allowed to follow the lineant or the strict way according to our own strength. So members are welcome to bringup any topic or concept and discuss it in a peacefull manner.

JazakumAllah Khair.

So I am going to start the thread inshaAllah with 'Taqwa'.

There is a saying of Sayyidina Muhammad sallallahu alaihe wassalam about wudu which says, 'save your heels from hellfire'. It is regarding making sure that enough care is taken in washing each part with enough water. But another hadith tells us that he sallallahu alaihe wassalam told a sahabi doing wudu not to be extravagant with water even though he was sitting by a stream.

So anybody who is using more water for making sure he has payed its due would have taqwa of Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala. Similarly anybody using little amount of water because of the second hadith would also be doing it because of taqwa.

So what is more important in Taqwa, the act or the intention?

wassalam

Edited by fatima
Say: (O Muhammad) If you love Allah, then follow me, Allah will love you and forgive you your faults, and Allah is Forgiving, MercifuL
Abeer23 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abeer23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2006 at 4:46am

As salamu alaikum, good thread sis. Fatima.

Which is more important??  Both are important; however, since actions are either valid or invalid according to the intentions behind them, I'd say intentions have more importance (hence the legal maxim "actions are judged by intentions").    

salam

ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2006 at 7:01am

Assalamu alaikum,

Very nice topic Sister Fatima!  Nice to see you back Sister Abeer!

Anyway, I thought I would start by posting this for the benefit of those who are not so familiar with Arabic terms:

Word: Taqwa
Meaning: Taqwa is a concept in Islam that is interpreted by some Islamic Scholars as God consciousness. It has many further understandings and interpretations. Taqwa may mean piousness, fear of Allah, love for Allah, and self restraint.
True Form: listen ����
Grammar: word;
Explanation:

Having Taqwa allows a person to be constantly aware of both God's presence and attributes and a reminder of their relationship and responsibility to God as His creation and servant. The scholars explain that the way to taqwa is through obedience of God, avoiding disobedience, and striving to stay away from doubtful matters.

This is from a site called islamic-dictionary.com, very useful to those just learning Arabic!

Anyway, back to taqwa and the subject at hand.  For myself, I do believe that the intention is everything.  I know I have read ahadith that address this issue (but don't have one handy at the moment!).  I have read that even if we do not carry out a deed, just having the intention to do so is rewarded by our Merciful Allah.

Sometimes I think Muslims get all wrapped up in worrying over rituals and traditions and forget the basis of it all, which is taqwa!  To be Allah conscious at all times moves one to have the best intentions, which in turn keeps us mindful of doing rituals correctly.

So, it is a matter of taqwa first and all else will fall into place as it should!

Peace, ummziba.

Edited by ummziba
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
fatima View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2006 at 1:16pm

wa'alaikum assalam wa rahmatullahe wa barakatuhu

When i wrote the ayaah of muslims being middle nation, i dint think about it deeply. But later on i just thought to myself what if i have quoted it out of context. But then i realized the blessing of Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala that alhamdulillah i started with a topic unknowingly for which this is so relevant. The law is what jews became so strict on, so much so that they became hard hearted and forgot about the soul of the law and purpose behind it. The christians on the other hand pay too much attention to the intention and not enough on the acts done.

Islam however requires presence of both good and pure intention and the act to go along with it. What sister ummziba has said is also true that Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala through His Mercy grants reward of a good deed even for thinking about it. But i think this would come under voluntary or nafl part. In my understanding having intention of paying zakah money for only Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala's sake and then also paying it would make you a muttaqi person. But what sister ummziba is talking about might come under the next step which is if the person thinks about whether it would be more beneficial to give it openly or secretly. But i could be wrong 

want to leave you with this ayaah to think about inshaAllah from Surah taghabun, it says, 'Fattaqullaha mastata'tum' 64:16 meaning, 'have taqwa of Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala as much as you can'. This mention word 'istata' (ability) which would be more suitable for action than intention in my humble view

wassalam

p.s. so nice to see you back sis

Say: (O Muhammad) If you love Allah, then follow me, Allah will love you and forgive you your faults, and Allah is Forgiving, MercifuL
Abeer23 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abeer23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2006 at 2:59am
As salamu alikum, Sis. Umm Ziba and Fatimah 
amah View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2006 at 5:51am

Assalaamualaikum

Taqwa ia such a beautiful topic, jazakallahkhair sis fatima...and taqwa is so important...it is to a muslim what a soul is to the body. Without taqwa I guess everything is meaningless. Will write more later, gotta make salah!

wassalaam

Allah is Sufficient as a Walee (Protector) and Allah is Sufficient as a Naseer (Helper).
(Surah An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #45)
fatima View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2006 at 5:52am

Wa'alaikum assalam wa rahmatullahe wa barakatuhu

My next topic is 'Patience' Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala has told us to be patient in conditions because the end is for the one who shows patience. What in your view is praiseworthy patience and what would be blameworthy?

Wassalam

Abeer23 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abeer23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2006 at 8:55pm

Hmm, you got me on this one.   I guess praiseworthy patience would be that which is exercised during adversity, when slandered, when dealing with shah'wat etc.  These are some of the things the Quran tells us to show patience with.  As for blameworthy patience, I'm not really sure.  Enlighten me sis.

Salam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
  Share Topic