IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Your Favorite Recipe  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your Favorite Recipe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ~Severa~ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your Favorite Recipe
    Posted: 26 April 2005 at 4:10pm

SalaamAlkaium,

I was thinking we can use this thread sisters or brothers to post our favorite recipes.

Okay lets start!

ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2005 at 4:56pm

As salaamu alaikum, Severa.  What a great idea!  Here is one of my favorites:

Feta and Roasted Pepper Antipasto

Combine 1 cup crumbled feta cheese, 1/2 cup pitted and chopped black olives, 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion and 1/2 cup finely chopped roasted red sweet peppers.

Stir in 1/2 cup of 'Greek with Feta and Oregano' dressing* and 2 tablespoons of grated lemon peel; cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.

*if you can't buy this kind of salad dressing where you are you might try a homemade viniagrette with white vinegar, olive oil, garlic, romano cheese, sugar, feta and oregano, but I don't know if it would taste as good - experiment!

Anyway, this is served with small toasts or crackers.  It is so good! 

Can be stored up to 2 days in tightly covered container in the refigerator.

Peace, ummziba

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
wafiyah View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wafiyah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2005 at 8:25pm

i love to cook so here is one that goes over well for me

i take boneless skinless chicken breast, summer squash, onion, diced canned tomatoes, eggplant, sweet red pepper, diced sliced whatever you prefer, marinate them half a day in a mixture of montreal chicken seasoning, tumric, basil, garlic and olive oil, when ready bake uncovered at 350 for about an hour hour and half depending on thickness of breast stir once   serve with a salad and you have a simple one dish meal  i would be interested to know if anyone trys thia and how you like it As-Salam Aleikum 

ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2005 at 9:39am

Assalamu alaikum Sisters,

Seems a lot of you are talking recipes - so I've brought the recipe file back up to the top.  Hope some of you will add recipes to share.  Here's another favorite of mine (kids love it, especially served with tortilla chips):

Chili with Rice

1. Cook 1/2 cup rice in one cup water, till done, set aside (or use leftover rice!).
  2. Brown ground beef (or turkey or chicken), drain fat and add: small diced onion, 1 tsp. cumin, 1 tbls. chili powder (more if you like hot), 1/2 tsp. dry mustard, 1 cup diced sweet pepper and 1 cup frozen (or fresh or canned) corn.  Cook on low until onions and peppers are softened.
  3. Add enough plain prepared (or homemade) spaghetti sauce to just barely coat ingredients.  Add the cooked rice.  Cook until hot through.
  4. Just before serving, sprinkle with grated cheddar cheese.  Add 1/2 cup chopped fresh coriander (if desired).

This is good alone, with bread or soft tortillas, with baked tortillas or even spooned over more rice or cooked pasta.

I look forward to seeing some recipes from some of you!

Peace, ummziba.

Muslimah4Life View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muslimah4Life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2005 at 7:13pm

ummziba
Assalamu Alaykum sister Im from scarborough canada where in canada are you from?

wa sallam

ameerah

ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2005 at 3:31am

Assalamu alaikum Sister Ameerah,

I do not wish to pin point my location, though, I don't live anywhere close to you (unfortunately!).  You are fortunate to live somewhere where there are lots of Muslims and lots of masajid and lots of support for Muslims!  There are only four Muslim families in my city - that's why I enjoy my "extended" family on IC so much!

Peace, ummziba.

J.R. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J.R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2005 at 5:11am
Assalamu Alaikum,

DIET CHICKEN ALFREDO

This is a great tasting, low-fat alternative to the regular alfredo sauce
which can be VERY fatty. But trust me, you're not cutting out on the
taste.

To make the alfredo sauce you'll need:
1 can of low-fat evaporated milk
1/2 cup of fat free (or low fat) Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon of liquid no calorie butter spray
small can of sliced mushrooms
1/8 tablespoon of minced garlic
2 tablespoons of corn starch
pepper for taste

To make:
Put the tablespoon of liquid butter into pan.
Pour in can of evaporated milk
Add in the 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese
Stir and let it get hot, but not boiling.
Add in mushrooms and garlic

While that's heating, put the cornstarch into a separate bowl and add a
tablespoon of cool tap water. The mixture wil be a little difficult to stir at
first, but then it will come along. If you need a little more water, add it
sparingly.

Pour this mixture into the sauce. Keep stiring because now the sauce will
thicken. If you stop stiring it will get too thick. Add in previously cooked
boneless chicken pieces if you'd like. When finished, pour the sauce with
chicken on top of fettucine.

This sauce tastes so great and you DON'T NEED TO ADD SALT! You really
don't need to. It tastes so fresh!!

Peace,
J.R.

Smile
Clarabelle View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarabelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2005 at 12:43pm

Great idea!

I would love to post some recipes, but as I have just started learning about Islam and I am aware that there are some things it's teachings advise you not to eat. (I know that pork is one thing)

Can you please tell me what ingredients to avoid? Also, could you tell me why you don't eat certain things as it would help me with my knowledge!

By the way, the Roasted Pepper and Feta Antipasto sounds yummy and I am going to try it! (I am sure the others are lovely too but I only eat fish, not chicken or beef.)

Thank you!

Clara

Edited by Clarabelle
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic