IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Arabic Language
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Lettered Arabic  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lettered Arabic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lettered Arabic
    Posted: 17 October 2006 at 3:30am

Allah = God

Islam = Peace

as salamu alaykum = Hello, Peace upon you

Go for it, add more

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2006 at 6:32pm

Salaamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatulaahi wa Barakatuhu,

Islaam -- submission.

Ayyyy -- something hurt you and you are letting people know.

YaRub -- My Lord

YaRubbee -- My Lord (more exact but both are said)

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
Cyril View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2006 at 2:57am
yaa rubb = actually not "my Lord" but "O Lord".

But "my Lord!" can also  be considered as a vocative so it is right too, I think.
There is a shadda on top of the "b" so it must be duplicated as the "m" in Muhammad.
The "a" of yaa is long.

Herjihad is right, islaam means submission, not peace, although both islaam and salaam (peace) derive from the same root.
truthseeker100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truthseeker100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2006 at 9:51am

Originally posted by Cyril Cyril wrote:

yaa rubb = actually not "my Lord" but "O Lord".

But "my Lord!" can also  be considered as a vocative so it is right too, I think.
There is a shadda on top of the "b" so it must be duplicated as the "m" in Muhammad.
The "a" of yaa is long.

Herjihad is right, islaam means submission, not peace, although both islaam and salaam (peace) derive from the same root.

Islam and Muslims

The name of this religion is Islam, the root of which is Silm and Salam which means peace. Salam may also mean greeting one another with peace. One of the beautiful names of God is that He is the Peace. It means more than that: submission to the One God, and to live in peace with the Creator, within one's self, with other people and with the environment. Thus, Islam is a total system of living. A Muslim is supposed to live in peace and harmony with all these segments; hence, a Muslim is any person anywhere in the world whose obedience, allegiance, and loyalty are to God, the Lord of the Universe.

http://www.afghanan.net/islam/intro.htm

Cyril View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2006 at 12:30pm
Truthseeker

The root of the word isl�m is not silm or sal�m but the consonants s-l-m which convey an idea of peace or safety.
Arabic roots are made up of mostly three consonants.

Isl�m is derived from the verb aslama which means to submit, to surrender, and other meanings implying a lowering of oneself.
It is of course related to the notion of peace as you can only submit when you are in a peaceful state.

Besides sal�m peace you find also the word sal�ma (in the departure greeting ma3a s-sal�ma for example) which means integrity, health, rightness.

herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2006 at 12:38pm

Originally posted by Cyril Cyril wrote:

Truthseeker

The root of the word isl�m is not silm or sal�m but the consonants s-l-m which convey an idea of peace or safety.
Arabic roots are made up of mostly three consonants.

Isl�m is derived from the verb aslama which means to submit, to surrender, and other meanings implying a lowering of oneself.
It is of course related to the notion of peace as you can only submit when you are in a peaceful state.

Besides sal�m peace you find also the word sal�ma (in the departure greeting ma3a s-sal�ma for example) which means integrity, health, rightness.

Salaamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh,

Excellent explanation Cyr.

Ya Rubbee is a wonderful thing to say, and people use different emphasis depending upon our needed or intended urgency.  Sometimes we'll hear Yaaaaa Rabbee!  And I've also heard Yaa Rabbbbeee.

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
Cyril View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2006 at 1:46pm
shukran jaziilan yaa Herjihad
truthseeker100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truthseeker100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2006 at 6:48am

Thanks Cyril for your explanation that you accept that Islam means submission and peace both.

I would appreciate if you could also provide links that I can refer to increase my knowledge of Arabic language that I am still learning. I have 2 master degrees and a degree in teaching, but don�t have any in Arabic, and as a Muslimah with a mother of 3 little kids, I want command in Arabic too so I could teach my kids, and understand Qur�an better without any translation.

I also searched IC Q/A, and found some information here:

Question:
What is Islam?

Answer:
Dear G. Greetings from Islamicity's Imam. Your question can be answered in one sentence or in five volumes. Due to the nature of this section, we will remain brief but if you need more information, please write us in the future specifying exactly what you need to know. ISLAM is an Arabic term for Submission to the Will of God. The root of the word Islam, is S-L-M, which also means Peace. Muslims are the people who submit to the Will of God. They believe that God is One, He has no partners, no Sons, no Daughters, no Wives, and nothing compares to Him. He is the Creator and He has sent prophets and messengers to human beings to believe in Him, to preach righteousness, and to apply the Divine Law on earth. Among such prophets are Noah, Abraham, Ishmael, Isaac, Moses, Jesus, and Mohammad (peace be upon all of them). Muslims believe in all of the Books that the Messengers of God have brought to their communities. This includes the original versions of the Psalms, the Torah, and the New Testament. Mohammad, the prophet who was born in the sixth century a.d., also received revelation that is called the Qur'an, and until now, the Qur'an has remained intact from any human intervention or fabrication. This is in brief what Islam is. If you need more information, write us or read the articles in Islamicity (www.islam.org). Thank you for asking and God knows best.

Reference:
IslamiCity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic