IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Arabic Language
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Common Phrases  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Common Phrases

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Common Phrases
    Posted: 14 October 2006 at 8:52am

Assalamu alaikum,

This thread can be used to post common phrases and their meanings.  Please feel free to add your input (or corrections!).

������ �����          ������ ������

and upon you the peace          peace be upon you

����� ������� ��������� ��������         ����� �����

in the name of Allah        in the name of Allah, all Merciful, most Merciful

Edited by ummziba
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2006 at 8:41am

It will be good to have a sister thread titled "common phrases - english lettered"

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2006 at 9:36am
Originally posted by Angel Angel wrote:

It will be good to have a sister thread titled "common phrases - english lettered"

I am not exactly sure what you mean, but I can tell you that this whole Arabic language section is for anyone (not just sisters). 

I can also tell you that trying to learn Arabic with transliteration (English lettered, as you call it) is the worst way to do it.  It is much better to learn the Arabic letters and the sounds they make and then sound the words out that way.  Transliteration is confusing and there are many different ways to do it - bad idea all around.

Hope this was helpful.

Peace, ummziba.

ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2006 at 9:55am

������������ �����

I seek forgiveness of Allah

�������� ����   

Glorified be Allah

�������� �����

All praise is for Allah

����� �����

Allah is greater

Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2006 at 10:30am
Originally posted by ummziba ummziba wrote:

Originally posted by Angel Angel wrote:

I am not exactly sure what you mean, but I can tell you that this whole Arabic language section is for anyone (not just sisters). 

I know its for everyone

I meant along side this one there should also be one with the english lettered.

Quote I can also tell you that trying to learn Arabic with transliteration (English lettered, as you call it) is the worst way to do it.  It is much better to learn the Arabic letters and the sounds they make and then sound the words out that way.  Transliteration is confusing and there are many different ways to do it - bad idea all around.

Hope this was helpful.

Peace, ummziba.

I understand but not everyone is adapt to do that. And also because not everyone has the equipment to transform/late arabic writing, your posts here is meaningless to me obviously it does not show the proper nature, no offence to you.  Partly why I asked for a sister thread but that does mean writing out twice over

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2006 at 11:08am

I agree with Angel.  It would be nice to have the transliteration with the common phrases.  It will help with understanding the phrasing.

As a linguist who has studied languages like Russian and Japanese, you need to use the transliteration until the students pick up on the alphabet.

herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2006 at 1:58pm

Salaamu Alaykum,

Sista Sista Ummziba, I got this computer on the cheap so there is no disk to insert when that is called for. 

We can put both calligraphy and transliteration, unless we can't do Arabic letters because of our cheapo computers (Al-Hamdulilah, btw!).

WaLahee --- I swear to Allah, which is considered haram by some.  Sorry.  Life happens.

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2006 at 2:35am

Ladies,

Sorry I can not provide you with the kind of learning you seem to be looking for.  I am sure there are lots of others out there who could be helpful to you.  Perhaps after Ramadhan, some one will step up to the plate!

If one has a computer that cannot read Arabic script, then one will have a very hard time trying to learn the language, after all, Arabic is not written in Roman letters.  You'll have to use books, real people, or some other means. 

For myself, the only purpose for learning Arabic is to be able to actually read the Qur'an.  Transliteration just won't cut it.  One has to invest in the time and effort to learn the actual Arabic letters and sounds, to me, learning transliteration is a huge waste of time for many, many reasons.

So, I wish you well on your journey of Arabic learning.  May Allah give us all patience (Arabic is not so easy to learn!).

(By the way, there is a thread for questions and answers....)

Peace, ummziba.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic