IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Arabic Language
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Questions & Answers  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Questions & Answers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Questions & Answers
    Posted: 05 October 2006 at 6:06am

Assalamu alaikum,

Let's use this thread for any questions and answers for this language section!  That way the "teaching" threads won't get bogged down with them.

(I hope no one minds me setting up this Arabic language section as I have done  )

I have a question.  The definite article alef lam (al) is pronounced differently in front of certain letters, for example as salamu alaikum or an nasr, but is it always written as alef meem in Arabic?  And if so, how do we know which ones?

Peace, ummziba.

Edited by ummziba
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
Alwardah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2006 at 4:28am

Wa Alaikum Salam sister

Insha Allah no one will mind your effort.

Insha Allah maybe this will help:

The huruf (letters) are divided into two groups � 14 in each group. The difference in these letters determines the pronunciation of the word when the definite article ��  (Al=the) is attached to the word.

1. Hurufu sh-Shamsiyah - the Sun Letters

� � � � � � � � � � � � � �

When these letters are defined by ��, the letter is written with a Shaddah and the pronunciation of this letter is doubled and the definite article �Al� is not pronounced.

e.g. ������� pronounced An-Nur not Al-Nur

1. Hurufu al-Qamariyah � the Moon letters

� � � � � � � � � � � � � �

When these letters are defined by �� the article �Al� is pronounced and the first letter is not doubled.

e.g. ������ pronounced Al-Abd

I hope this answers your question.

Salams

�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
"Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him is our return" (Surah Baqarah 2: 155)
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2006 at 4:45am

Assalamu alaikum,

Thanks so much Sister Alwardah, that answers my question perfectly!

Now, may I ask: do you have a link to the Arabic keyboard that you use?  I would love to be able to post Arabic letters........

Peace, ummziba.

Hanan View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2006 at 7:52am

Edited by Hanan
Hanan View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2006 at 8:03am

Edited by Hanan
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2006 at 9:24am

Assalamu alaikum,

Thanks for the step by step Sister.  You have written "sham shlaee" or something to that effect (from right to left in Arabic you wrote: sheen, meem and sheen alef lam ya'a).

I am sure there is away to see your Arabic script in preview post, I am just not sure how (yet), if I figure it out I'll post it.  Insha'allah someone who knows will help us with this!

Now I have to work on using the Arabic keyboard - wish I was not such a technodummy!

Peace, ummziba.

ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2006 at 10:28am

������ �����

ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2006 at 10:41am

Oh good grief!  What a technodummy I am!!!

I managed to figure out how to write in Arabic but now my computer is not reading the Arabic script that people have written in this thread.....it read it fine before...what the heck .

I also had a great deal of trouble switching between the two and was stuck with only Arabic for awhile. 

Guess I have to work on this some more  .

O.K. after rebooting and playing with settings and rebooting, I'm back.  Played with some settings (not even sure what I did) and now I can see the Arabic again.....think I'll leave it be for today .

Edited by ummziba
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic