IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional > Americas
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Foleygate  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Foleygate

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Foleygate
    Posted: 01 October 2006 at 9:38am

Foleygate

10.1.2006 -- The New York Times http://letters.slate.com/W9RH03A46D5BE4D4E7B653384202F0 leads with and the Washington Post http://letters.slate.com/W9RH03A46D1B94D4E7B653384202F0 fronts the unraveling story of when House GOP leaders knew about creepy (but not sexually explicit) e-mails from Rep. Mark Foley to a former House page. The reports reveal a whole lot dissembling (or forgetfulness) on the part of Speaker Dennis Hastert, who continues to claim he was made aware of the exchanges only last week. The Los Angeles Times http://letters.slate.com/W9RH03A46D8BB4D4E7B653384202F0 leads with the effort by Christian pastors to get their flocks to the voting booth on election day. "Their efforts at times push legal limits on church involvement in partisan campaigns," says the LAT. The WP goes across the top with an already-tired excerpt from Bob Woodward's new book, "State of Denial."

At least two GOP leaders were made aware of the Foley imbroglio in late 2005. One of them, Rep. John Boehner, told the WP yesterday that he promptly informed Dennis Hastert of the situation. A few hours later Boehner called the paper back to say "he could not be sure" of what he just said. Hastert, meanwhile, was busy releasing a statement saying that, while his staff was made aware of the e-mails last year, he was never told of them. But Rep. Thomas Reynolds, the other GOP leader informed of the Foley situation in 2005, says he personally spoke to Hastert about it last year. Hastert's response: Maybe Reynolds is right, but I don't remember.

Hanan View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2006 at 6:32pm

Weyrich, Robertson used Foley scandal to spread falsehood about gay men

10.5.2006 -- On the October 4 edition of National Public Radio's All Things Considered, conservative commentator and chairman and CEO of the Free Congress Foundation Paul Weyrich baselessly claimed that "the real problem" with the Republicans' handling of the scandal surrounding former Rep. Mark Foley (R-FL) is that "Congressman Mark Foley was a homosexual" and "homosexuals tend to be preoccupied with sex."

Similarly, as the People for the American Way weblog Right Wing Watch has noted, on the October 5 edition of the Christian Broadcasting Network's The 700 Club, host Pat Robertson claimed that Republicans should respond to the Foley scandal by saying, "Well, this man's gay, he does what gay people do, and so don't worry about it."

From the October 5 edition of CBN's The 700 Club:

ROBERTSON: The news is the Republicans have formed a circular firing squad, and they're firing away. It's just insane, this atavistic spirit to find blame just before an election. They'd be better to say, "Well, this man's gay, he does what gay people do, and so don't worry about it." I don't know what else to do. Or they can say. "We abhor this kind of conduct, but it's one person." And certainly, the Christian people -- the church people -- understand forgiveness, they understand sin, and this isn't going to, quote, turn off a lot of voters because of that. But the more they make out of it and the more they begin to have recriminations, the worse it's going to be for them, it seems like to me. But anyhow, I don't run the congressional leadership in Washington. They have their own agenda.

From the October 4 broadcast of NPR's All Things Considered:

WEYRICH: Here is the real problem. It has been known for many years that Congressman Foley was a homosexual. Homosexuals tend to be preoccupied with sex. The idea that he should be continued -- or should have been continued as chairman of the Committee on Missing and Exploited Children is, you know, given their knowledge of that, is just outrageous.

NORRIS: Now before we go on, I think I can say, Mr. Weyrich, that there are quite a few people who would take exception to the statement that homosexuals are preoccupied with sex.

WEYRICH: Well, I don't care whether they take exception to it. It happens to be true. I mean --

NORRIS: That is your opinion.

WEYRICH: Well, it's not my opinion. It's the opinion of many psychologists and psychiatrists who have to deal with them.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic