IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Announcements
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Attention!  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAttention!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 9:19am

This forum has been around longer than most of us have been comming here to discuss/read... speaking for my self, I've been comming here for nearly 4 years. What i Observed is that this moderation fad - peaks every now and then.. and then fades...

Not to say its going to fade this time.. but who knows?...

There are always going to be a few "Bad Apples" as my favorite Commedian George W. Bush would say...  in the 4 years, there have been many "Trouble Makers"... not to mention any names.. but there have been many wackos before that just post some incidiary article to get some attention..  They come and they go.. I've seen quite a few..

I can only wonder who is pulling the strings here, as to ordering this heavy handed moderation - maybe its the islamic city people?... maybe not... This forum has been generally free and open - a forum where most-if not anything can be discussed and anyone is welcome no?.. This forum has had a progression much like the Real Islamic ummah, began gracefully, and now because of malcontents and trouble makers we are in a near police state.... a bad state...

If you are moderating to protect us, I ask, what are you protecting us FROM?.. we are all adults here?.. or mature enoupgh to deal with everything - and if some people are not.. then they stand out and loose respect of the community(Forum Goers)... Court of Public Opinion..

The forum has NOT lost its "Islamic Compass" ... its always been like this.. Its the muslim thing to do; to discuss anything and everything.. no? Not everyone who comes here is Muslim, That is the PoinT!.. there are people with diffrent opinions and ideas, this is a medium for them to express this. Comment on their Decorum - comment on their lack of respsect - their tone of voice or lack of respsect - but Changing the CONTENT of what they have to say, is the DEvils WORK!...

This forum has not lost its way, only people think it has - but hearing just what you want to hear is a recipe for stagnation and just alot of bad stuff.. intellectually and otherwise.. I know you cant moderate in a lazee-fair system, that would no doubt eventually bring chaos - but you cant also do it in a totalitarian fashion, there must be a delicate balanced that is to be achieved... just like in Reality..

As I have said Before, in the OLD forum...

Moderate ONLY in Moderation....

THere Is no god, BUT GOD
and Adam was his First Messenger
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2005 at 6:32am

excellent post ArabianNight  

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2005 at 9:06am

Auzubillahi minahs shaitan ir Rajeem,

Bismillah ir rahman ir rahim,

The standards of moderation have not changed. What has changed is that we saw, some rules when they were tacit, many took the liberty of not respecting them. When this happens things need to be pronounced.

When you see the openness on this place, and no such rules as above, you presume, nothing untoward has been removed .. I dont want to list everything that is removed in this 4 years of moderating, just letting those who posted them, know (this time in clear words)that their efforts will be rendered futile.

As for who we are protecting ... well I have communicated with ppl who were 11 and 13. - not everyone is an adult as it is being presumed. They can surf theinternet and find whatever they want, but atleast not on an islamic website, such that they also know the dos and donts within this society.

As for old members like Angel and ArabianKnight who have shown concerns, just be yourself, you are doing fine.

Maa salaama,

Nausheen

<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2005 at 9:42am

Quote many took the liberty of not respecting them

And how many actually read the rules, is more like the question, than changing them, not that I'm against changing the rules if need be.

Quote As for old members like Angel and ArabianKnight who have shown concerns, just be yourself, you are doing fine.

And what happened to Colin and Fezzi, they weren't fine, they were being themselves 

-ArabianKnight- View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2005 at 9:58am

not to keep beating the dead horse or whatnot.. I said my peace.. but just wanted to point this out..

although.. who really follows such rules anyway?... People speed 20+ beyond the speed limit... and people can click yes to this forum even though they are younger than 13... No one is there to enforce it untill you screw up.

And thats the point.. to assume everyone here is responsible and mature enoupgh... to handle it... Till they show otherwise(Reckless driving or plain incompetence) - if a 10 year old on this forum is reading about Contraception, Circumcision or other such topics.. They could do alot worse, its better he or she learns it on such an intellectual forum as This, rather than elsewhere on the internet... If they have access to the internet to go whever they please - then atleast its some sort of blessing and sign of maturity that they come here..no?

What dos and Donts are there in an islamic society that we cant talk about?.. We're not living in middle age Europe.. or 16th Century Salem... you're not going to retrograde 50 years of progress where after nearly 700 years in the dark ages.... are you?.. Back in the Olden Days... the Days of Prophet Muhammad, people asked him all sorts of wierd questions... Nothing was off limits.. according to the hadiths anyway... and No debate here should be off-limits, IF it is done in a proper and respectful way..

Conflict and Debate are the essense of progress...

THere Is no god, BUT GOD
and Adam was his First Messenger
Senior  Member
Female
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2005 at 11:06am

Maybe something we need to keep in mind here is that this forum is open to and read by both men and women.  Think about how you would act and talk in front of your own family: your parents, siblings, grandparents, aunts and uncles or spouse.  Think about how you would act and talk in front of people you love and respect and who love and respect you.  If what you post on this forum is not appropriate in those situations, then it isn't appropriate here either.  I think this is simple way to illustrate what "Islamic behavior" here should be.

This is not a singles bar, or a mall, or a bunch of same sex chums chatting.  I think people expect the posts on an Islamic (or any religious) site to be polite, informative and most of all appropriate for all who may read it.

Yes, the Prophet (pbuh) answered all sorts of questions as seen in the ahadith but I am absolutely sure that he never would have permitted name calling, put downs, sarcastic hurtful remarks or inappropriate talk from anyone.

Yes, we should be able to talk about anything here, within reason.  I for one, did not come to an Islamic site to hear ridiculous sexual jokes, graphic descriptions of mutilation, people being downright rude to one another or other such things that would be inappropriate in a family setting.

Perhaps this is the "Islamic" values/guidelines/manners we are looking for here: simply, if you wouldn't say it to your grandmother, why would you say it here?

With all due respect, I don't think non-Muslims should have a say in how an Islamic forum should be run.  Don't go taking offense - finish reading first!  I mean, of course, you are all most welcome here, your ideas and opinions help enrich the dialogue.  But, it is not appropriate to tell the Muslims how you want to behave/talk on an Islamic forum.  When you are a guest in someone else's home, you should act accordingly. 

For example, I wouldn't go to a Christian or Hindu or other religious forum and then balk at their rules.  I would expect to follow them because it is their "house" so I should behave according to what they expect.

I hope I am not offending anyone, that is not my intention.  I am just trying to illlustrate how we should be behaving here on this Islamic forum, and that all our guests (and all the Muslims for that matter) should be most welcome if they follow the "house rules".  I don't see how anyone can have a problem with that (I mean following the rules of any forum they visit).

Anyway, that is only my opinion and others are entitled to theirs.

4:135 - O ye who believe!  Stand out firmly for justice, as witnessess to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both.  Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest ye swerve, and if ye distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily, Allah is well acquainted with all that ye do.

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2005 at 4:05pm

Angel and Arabian Knight,

If you dont like the rules, pls dont follow them.

I for one will follow and treat everyone according to these.

As for Fezzi and Colin, I have already said there is no room for an appeal, just remember, it is in my hand to keep them suspended for longer so dont push me too hard.

Thank you,

Nausheen

<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2005 at 1:31am

Quote If you dont like the rules, pls dont follow them.

It's got nothing to do with whether I like the rules or not!!

Quote As for Fezzi and Colin, I have already said there is no room for an appeal, just remember, it is in my hand to keep them suspended for longer so dont push me too hard.

This is a threat against me (and arabiannight), Nausheen, how could you  you have no right to do so, its got nothing to do with the boards or its rules/regulatons!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic