IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) in the Bible  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) in the Bible

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 17>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doo-bop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2007 at 11:16am

"And the fact that the Prophet's hair remained black means that the son ALWAYS applied to him, so even if someone saw him in his sixties it would still be as the Bible said."

But this is not true.  We know that Muhammad dyed his hair red, with henna - see Sahih Bukhari vol1book4no.167 (and we know why certain older men do that)

We also know his hair had lice -  see Sahih Bukhari vol9 no.130 - not such a pretty picture

"It says he was handsome (which includes cheek and lips):"

No, normally very handsome people are not perfect in all their physical attributes

" (The Prophet, May the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) also patted my cheek and I experienced a coolness or a fragrance of his hand as if it had been brought out from the scent bag of a
perfumer." [Sahih Muslim, 30:5758]

"I never smelt ambergris or musk as fragrant as the fragrance of the body of Allah's Messenger (May the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him)." [Sahih Muslim, 30:5759]

"I never smelt musk or ambergris and found its fragrance as sweet as the fragrance of Allah's Messenger (May the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him)." [Sahih Muslim 30:5760]"

Well, there's no mention of myrrh here....

This one I dont know, I found on another website, but I think the point is that his hands are praiseworthy and exceptional.

Personally, I don't know what you find "praiseworthy" about "big, soft hands"

"A lot of Christians say the song is about a woman as soon as I tell them that it's prophecying the coming of Prophet Mohammad (pbuh). But the scholars seem confused wether it is about the Church or God, or the coming of the Messiah."

So you are basically unable to substantiate what you are saying.  The Song is about a man and a woman.  The verses we have been discussing are clearly about the man.  Why you are trying to make out that some people think they are about the woman, goodness alone knows...  Christians view the Song as an allegory about Christ, the Bridegroom, and his bride, the holy church. 

The song also says that his hair is "Bushy" while the Hadith says:"...the hair of the Messenger of Allah (May the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) was THICKER THAN YOUR HAIR AND THEY WERE FINER (than yours)." [Sahih Muslim, 3:642]

Well, I don't know how hair can be thicker than somone else's, and finer at the same time...

"His legs are as pillars of marble, set upon sockets of fine gold: his countenance is as Lebanon, excellent as the cedars."

"He (The Prophet, May the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) was innocently bright and had BROAD COUNTENANCE." [Zad al Ma`ad 2:45]

So what does having a "countenance as Lebanon" have to do with having a "broad countenance"?

It seems to me, that far from matching up exactly, which was your claim, the descriptions given in the Song, and those of Muhammad in the various hadith you have quoted, are entirely different.  You are clutching at straws, the word makh-mawd is not the name Muhammad, and the descriptions given are those of the idealised idea of beauty of the time, not specific to Muhammad

Apple Pie View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apple Pie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2007 at 11:00am
Originally posted by Sawtul Khilafah Sawtul Khilafah wrote:

Bismillahirrahmaanerraheem

Prophet Mohammad pbuh was mentioned in the Song of Songs (in the Old Testament) which is also known as Song of Solomon.
The original name of this song was Shir Hashirim.
This is what it says in Hebrew, 5:16
Chiku mamtakim v'khulo machamadim zeh dodi v'zeh re'i b'not yerushalayim
In English, 5:16:
His conversation is sweetness itself, he is MACHAMADIM, such is my beloved oh daughters of Jerusalem.
The word MACHAMADIM:
Firstly, the CH used is the same as the H used in arabic for the word MOHAMMAD. The IM at the end is just like the one used for ELOHIM. The IM at the end of ELOHIM is agreed by Jews and most Christians to be a sign of respect, like THE ELOH, or the Great Eloh, or the Majestic Eloh, etc.
Hence, the same applies to Machamadim. So the actual word is Machamad, and as we discussed the CH is the same as the H in Mohammad so the word is MAHAMAD!

Finally, the vowels are agreed by Biblical scholars to have been inserted much later in history. So the actualy word is MHMD. This is exactly how the word Mohammad is written in Hebrew. In other words, if the Bible was to mention the name of Prophet Mohammad pbuh, it would be mentioned as MHMD, and this is the case in Shir Hashirim.
Also, the name of the song is very intresting. The original name was Shir Hashirim, which means Song of Hashirim. The IM as we have already shown is a sign of respect, so it's actually Shir Hashir, meaning Song of Hashir.
In Sunan Tirmidhi (a famous Hadith book) we read that one of the names of Prophet Mohammad pbuh was Hashir !!!
Shir Hashirim also gives a description of MHMD, which fits in exactly with the description of Prophet Mohammad pbuh as recorded in the Hadith books. If anyone is intrested, I can give more detail.

Peace unto those who follow the Guidance

Muslims keep confusing the Islamic "Muhammad" with the Koranic "Muhammad".

The two are not the same.

The Koranic "Muhammad" is NOT a personal name...but, rather, a participle...meaning "a man praised much - praised one".

Checking all 68 root derivatives of the word "Muhammad", as used in the Koran shows that it is ALWAYS used in context of deity.

Always.

Thus, a man being praised (i.e. "Muhammad")...can only be referring to the Biblical Jesus Christ.

Hence, the Koranic "Muhammad" is, in fact, a reference to the Biblical Jesus Christ.

A far cry from the "Muhammad" that Islam wants to put forth.

Usmani View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Usmani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2007 at 9:43pm

Quote:-Hence, the Koranic "Muhammad" is, in fact, a reference to the Biblical Jesus Christ.

What about the Quranic "essa ibne Marrium"Jessus Christ, to whom its reffering to?

Engage your self in good deeds,otherswise yours nafs will engage you in bad deeds
Andalus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andalus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2007 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by Doo-bop Doo-bop wrote:

"And the fact that the Prophet's hair remained black means that the son ALWAYS applied to him, so even if someone saw him in his sixties it would still be as the Bible said."

But this is not true.  We know that Muhammad dyed his hair red, with henna - see Sahih Bukhari vol1book4no.167 (and we know why certain older men do that)

We also know his hair had lice -  see Sahih Bukhari vol9 no.130 - not such a pretty picture

dying means that the hair had another color. So yes it is still true. You do understand the nature of "dying" vs "natural color" and the effect one has on the other?

According to you, God was birthed through a vagina and covered in nasty afterbirth, and God used the toilet, wiped his rear end, stunk, dirtied his diapers, etc, etc. It would seem that your theology puts you in no postition to dictate what is nice and not nice. Lice seems pretty insignificant now yes?

"It says he was handsome (which includes cheek and lips):"

No, normally very handsome people are not perfect in all their physical attributes

Petty conjecture. Your opinion does not hold as fact.

" (The Prophet, May the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) also patted my cheek and I experienced a coolness or a fragrance of his hand as if it had been brought out from the scent bag of a
perfumer." [Sahih Muslim, 30:5758]

"I never smelt ambergris or musk as fragrant as the fragrance of the body of Allah's Messenger (May the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him)." [Sahih Muslim, 30:5759]

"I never smelt musk or ambergris and found its fragrance as sweet as the fragrance of Allah's Messenger (May the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him)." [Sahih Muslim 30:5760]"

Well, there's no mention of myrrh here....

There is no explicit verse that says Jesus is God, but you are able to superimpose your beliefs onto implicit verses to make yoru claims about his divinity.

There is no mention of what the exact source of smell was in many of the haidths that discuss his scent.

This one I dont know, I found on another website, but I think the point is that his hands are praiseworthy and exceptional.

Personally, I don't know what you find "praiseworthy" about "big, soft hands"

Ok.

"A lot of Christians say the song is about a woman as soon as I tell them that it's prophecying the coming of Prophet Mohammad (pbuh). But the scholars seem confused wether it is about the Church or God, or the coming of the Messiah."

So you are basically unable to substantiate what you are saying.  The Song is about a man and a woman.  The verses we have been discussing are clearly about the man.  Why you are trying to make out that some people think they are about the woman, goodness alone knows...  Christians view the Song as an allegory about Christ, the Bridegroom, and his bride, the holy church. 

Thats a complete distortion of the Song. Jesus nor anything about a trinue God was ever mentioned or thought about in the Hebrew Scriptures. There is not a single prophecy in the Hebrew Scriptures that can explicitly be about God comeing to earth through a woman's womb.

A feeling of discouragement when you slip up is a sure sign that you put your faith in deeds. -Ibn 'Ata'llah
http://www.sunnipath.com
http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/
http://www.pt-go.com/
Doo-bop View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doo-bop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2007 at 2:40am
Andalus, you are missing my point.  The claims made by Sawtul in this thread are 1. that Muhammad is mentioned by name in the Song of Solomon 5: 16 and that 2. the descriptions of the man in verses 10-16 of that chapter match exactly with those available descriptions of Muhammad found in islamic scriptures.  I am simply saying, for the reasons I've given, that neither assertion is true.
Sawtul Khilafah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawtul Khilafah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2007 at 2:56pm

Those whom We have given the Book recognize him as they recognize their sons, and a party of them most surely conceal the truth while they know. (Qur'an 2:146)

Intrestingly there is also a story in Islamic history books that some Jewish leaders came to Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) and recognised him as described in their books. Then, one of the wives of Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) who used to be Jewish heard those men discussing how to conceal this from others !

Now it's intresting that as we have already seen, Jewish scholars in the past believed that this song was a prophecy about the coming of a Messiah. But in its present form, when you put chapter 5 next to the other chapters of the song it seems like some sort of a "love song" which can be interpreted in many different ways. It could be that the original prophecy was made into a love song by mixing it with one. It is also intresting that the original name of the song was SHIR HASHIRIM, but for some reason they mistranslated it into "Song of Solomon".

My question from jews and Christians here is, is this song a "love song" between Solomon and Queen Sheba ? Or is it between Jesus and the Church ? Or God with people ? Or a prophecy about the coming of a Messiah and building of the Third Temple ?

Patty View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2007 at 6:46pm

I believe it is about Christ and the Church.  Here is a site which is an easy read (I think), and you enjoy reading it.  Maybe it offers a little insight into the Song of Solomon for you.

The Song of Solomon Commentary
Verse by Verse,
Chapter 1   Chapter 2   Chapter 3   Chapter 4   Chapter 5   Chapter 6   Chapter 7   Chapter 8

Edited by Andalus
Patty

I don't know what the future holds....but I know who holds the future.
harrdnut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harrdnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2007 at 6:50pm

The Song of Solomon is nothing but a love song between Almighty God and the Born-Again Christians.

[8] The voice of my beloved! behold, he cometh leaping upon the mountains, skipping upon the hills.
[9] My beloved is like a roe or a young hart: behold, he standeth behind our wall, he looketh forth at the windows, shewing himself through the lattice.
[10] My beloved (Jesus Christ) spake, and said unto me (the Christian believers) , Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away.
[11] For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone;
[12] The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land;
[13] The fig tree putteth forth her green figs, and the vines with the tender grape give a good smell. Arise, my love, my fair one, and come away.
[14] O my dove, that art in the clefts of the rock, in the secret places of the stairs, let me see thy countenance, let me hear thy voice; for sweet is thy voice, and thy countenance is comely.
[15] Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
[16] My beloved is mine, and I am his: he feedeth among the lilies.
[17] Until the day break, and the shadows flee away, turn, my beloved, and be thou like a roe or a young hart upon the mountains of Bether.

Look at verse 16 above and look at the following Words of Jesus to His DISCIPLES:

John.14

1. [20] At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.

John.15

1. [4] Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 17>
  Share Topic