IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Men (Brothers)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - addiction  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

addiction

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: addiction
    Posted: 31 August 2006 at 5:12pm

assalamualaikum to everyone reading this post on this forum.

I was reading the post about marijuana on this forum and trust me - I DO NOT WANT TO START THAT TOPIC AGAIN.  However, it did get me starting to think about the view on addiction. 

An argument commonly used was that any action, substance or thought that was habit forming or addicting is haram.  This makes perfect sense to me when I think about drug addiction and alcoholism, but then I started to think:  "How many times have a played minesweeper today?  Perhaps I am addicted."

I know this sounds funny but where can the line be drawn on addiction?  I know that when I start a family I will be addicted to spending times with my children, as my parents felt about me.  I know that depending on the individual, addiction to anything is possible so the line must be drawn somewhere.

I have no conlusion to my post, which is why I posted here so I guess I will end this post with ellipses.

IslamicGirl View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IslamicGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2006 at 3:01am

Wa/Salam Brother,

I was reading the post about marijuana on this forum and trust me - I DO NOT WANT TO START THAT TOPIC AGAIN.  However, it did get me starting to think about the view on addiction.  

This topic as well as others can be a sensitive one, I have experienced this too, however not in this forum or any other forum, but speaking to people (Muslims) face-to-face.

An argument commonly used was that any action, substance or thought that was habit forming or addicting is haram.  

I agree to this comment you made 'above' however, you have to think within a reasonable context as a human being.  Asking oneself, is it harming me? is it harming others??  If you answer is no, then you are more than likely not doing haram (but then again brother, this is only my point of view).

This makes perfect sense to me when I think about drug addiction and alcoholism, but then I started to think:  "How many times have a played minesweeper today?  Perhaps I am addicted."

Are you getting annoying headaches?  Noises in your head??  Are you starting to act aggressively - biting your nails etc...??  If you are noticing abnormal behaviour, then maybe you are addicted and need to find another hobby.

I know this sounds funny but where can the line be drawn on addiction?  I know that when I start a family I will be addicted to spending times with my children, as my parents felt about me.  I know that depending on the individual, addiction to anything is possible so the line must be drawn somewhere.

I believe brother, the line's drawn where you want it to be drawn... if you are as concerned as I feel you are about - for e.g. your minesweaper game, then, it's time you find another hobby, maybe this can be something more rewarding for your after-life such as - reading Qur'an, or praying more (please take note however, I am in no way/shape or form trying to judge you and saying you do not already observe all these things enough).

I have no conlusion to my post, which is why I posted here so I guess I will end this post with ellipses.

My conclusion is you just keep speaking out, and posting your comments.. because it's interesting as a Muslim to see other peoples' point of view!

Please write back and tell me if what I am saying makes any sense at all...

*Islamic Girl*
Aisha Muslima View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aisha Muslima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2006 at 2:57pm

assalam alikum brother, i agree with you that there more then just alchool, drugs that peoples can get addictive also harm themshelf like 6/49 it a gamling game that u can win money, some peoples will do that every week of their life hoping to win. Once a men dose that every week the same number and one friday he was in a hurry and didnt buy it, his wife hear on the TV the winning number wich usually her hubsand allways choose. She was sooo happy and her hubsand too till he remember that he didnt buy it. His wife was soo angry at him and continue doing chores. Her hubsand went in the living room and kill himshelf.

But you got to know that not everythings is bad, like being "addictive" to pasing time with ur childrens, it a good thing, Allah love to see family passing wonderful time together in halal way of course.

You should pass more time praying, read Quran, get some knowleage, go to Masjid. Passe time with ur family, help others (the needy, the orpelins, the sick peoples, the old peoples, the lonely peoples, and the peoples who need some help like friends, neighboors). Also u can volunteers like cleaning a park, so ur helping to keep Allah creations in health (the earth, the animal, even people's health). Do something worth while of ur time that will be benefit to you and other then playing some mineweepers all day and night.

wa alikum assalam

Allah Hafiz

Aisha Muslima
brother View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2006 at 7:21pm

I understand that minesweeper is very useless, but i couldn't think of a better example at the time. now that i have been sitting on it for a while i consider people that are obsessed witht their grades or schooling as addicted. but there is a greater good that can come from this so i know that it is understood that this is not a big deal.

however the addiction of coffee or caffeine is not so clear cut. i do not think that addiction to coffee or tea is a bad thing but it is true that it could harm you.  does this make it haram or does this just make it a thing that really doesnt matter?  Id like to think that not everything is halal or haram, but that a third category of things people shouldn't even waste their tiem with discussing.

lately i have been concerned with the amount of time mispent by many muslims that leaves important issues that could easily be addressed up in the air.

Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2006 at 6:34am
As the gambling ads here say" if its not fun anymore. ....
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
islam06 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islam06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2006 at 12:01am

i think smoking marjuana is stupid

especially if ur a muslim

and i cant stand the smell either

UmmTaaha View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UmmTaaha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2006 at 12:48am

Addiction can be of many things. For example some people are addicted by the newspaper - they cannot start their day without going thru the headlines. Some (including myself) cannot take their head off the internet - when we are involved in these type of things, it is nice to take a step back. Re-evaluate the benefits. Think how much time we've spent on a particular habit - what did it give us, how that time could have been spent better.

I dont think such mundane things shld be counted in haram acts, however excess of anything is bad. As a muslim we shld take care of that.

ZubairH View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZubairH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2006 at 5:23pm
Anything that is used in such a way in that it does more harm than good is a sin. There are lots of drugs that don't do this. Though any drug, can be used in such a way that it does, even aspirin, or chocolate. Addiction is not such a bad thing as long as it doesnt hurt you more than help in the long run, which it usually does. Not always though. Caffeine, morphine, marijuana (sorry, but its just one detail), and most benzodizaepines are like this. Most of the time, people don't get addicted in a way that it harms. Marijuana and caffeine, has a low addictability rate in the first place.

So i'd say the general rule is more harm than good, then leave it. This includes how it influences your belief in Islam. Marijuana, caffine, heroin, opium, cocaine, even alcohol (some times not always) dont change this most of the time are usually. It is very unusual for a responsible user of any of these changes in such a way, even alcohol if used responsibly, though with alcohol when not it usually leads to the contrary, while with others even unresponisbly it usually doesnt affect.

Edited by ZubairH
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic