IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional > Americas
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Living in America/ the West  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Living in America/ the West

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emsereen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2006 at 5:41pm
Asalam Alaikum,

I also am American but of Italian heritage. I live within a very large Lebanese
community in Michigan. I have always been treated differently because I'm
American. I even wear the hijab, but it doesn't matter. I actually drive outside
of my community to a mosque that is more Palestinian and Pakistani. And in
my area the black muslim are very friendly.

But remember, hold your head high in Islam. Allah (SWA) will guide you and
keep you strong no matter where you are or live. We must grow in numbers
to please him.

salam
mariyah View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariyah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2006 at 4:36am

Originally posted by emsereen emsereen wrote:

Asalam Alaikum,

American. I even wear the hijab, but it doesn't matter. I actually drive outside

to please him.

salam

Sister, I understand your dilemna.  My heritage is mixed. I have the darker complexion of my mother, but when I removed my sunglasses I often startle those who do not know me with my very light sky blue eyes. hmmm, actually my closest friend here in the Ummah is Tamina, and she is African american. I believe that the Americans of African ancestry are more accepting of us because their culture was so oppressed and mistreated by the white culture in this country. They empathize more with our differences. I would not have renewed my faith in Islam and become active if it where not for Tamina. My husband who had not prayed in years is now more pious than me lol!

This calls to mind the last sermon of the Prophet, which is dear to me!

http://www.islamicity.com/articles/Articles.asp?ref=IC0107-3 22

"All mankind is from Adam and Eve, an Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab nor a non-Arab has any superiority over an Arab; also a white has no superiority over black nor a black has any superiority over white except by piety and good action. Learn that every Muslim is a brother to every Muslim and that the Muslims constitute one brotherhood."

What an AWESOME sermon!

"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.
ak_m_f View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ak_m_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2006 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by runner runner wrote:

Muslim countries are so cursed with violence and backwardness of the sorts you mentioned?

300 years of colonialism has screwed up muslims countries.

also whenever some progress is made, regime chage is made. Puppet governments are installed who never think about own people's need; but take orders from CIA.

Edited by ak_m_f
runner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2006 at 4:12am
Originally posted by emsereen emsereen wrote:

Asalam Alaikum,

to please him.

salam

Thank you, sisters (if mistaken I'll stand corrected) for your comments.

I recall the times that I spent in places like Abu Dhabi, Muscat, and Jordan...as a Westerner in the streets there I was treated as an exotic novelty too.  That is not to say that people were unfriendly or unhelpful, but I still was watched differently because people did not know what to expect from me as they would from folks they were surrounded with all their lives.

Once I understood the situation I just came to expect it, and once I understood what was happening, and that was just how people were and it didn't necessarily mean anything threatening or unfriendly & it was easier accomodate.  Though I imagine that if I were in those settings a longer time it might get tiring.

I think emsereen's advice is probably good, and was along the lines that I was thinking earlier.  There are still large portions of the US (and the West) where people have simply not been exposed to Muslims in any form; the only repair for that situation is for them to see good Muslims so they can become accustomed to them/you.  What this also means is that the only Muslims they are exposed to are those shown on the news...and you know where that leads.  So unlike my experience this background (foisted upon you not by the evil Americans but by the terrorists whose activities give rise to the suspicion which unjustly falls upon you) makes it even more challenging.  But it can be overcome.

Between the time I initially posted this thread and now the webmaster has graced us with an article about a new North American Muslim leader who says exactly the same; http://www.islamicity.com/articles/Articles.asp?ref=LT0609-3 115 .

Take courage and be your faithful and trustworthy selves, do not be afraid to show others that the stereotype is not true.  While not easy or fast, it is the most certain way to change the minds and calm the fears of those in places like 'redneckville'.
jabedi View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jabedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2006 at 12:18am
Assalaamualaikum to my dear brothers and sisters in Islam,

In my review of the previous comments, I have first come to see the potential of my brothers and sisters: your compassion, wisdom, and quality.  I am proud to call myself your brother in Islam.  Many of our brothers and sisters have been mentally swept away in identifying more with their respective nation-states than with their identity as a Muslim, as someone a part of something so much larger and infinitely more important than state identification.  I think of why that is so and I consider the plausible possibility that they seek comfort in their national identities.  As I again ask myself why? It seems obvious that the infrastructure and quality of services of our network of organizations is not satisfying the basic binding needs of our community in the United States.  Your own experiences and my own further reinforce and highlight this most basic and amazingly important issue.  I am most encouraged by your committment to your faith and to God.  Remain steadfast in prayer and strengthened by the fact, my sister touched on this subject of equality in Islam, that we are all under Allah, the Compassionate, equals in all aspects accept for one: the attentiveness, committment, and resulting superiority of your faith.  Your steadfastness will, with God's assured blessing, will achieve success for you, your families, your children, and all those who are lucky enough to have crossed paths with you.  I assure you that the future of Islam will not be decided in some distant land, not even in the holy cities of Mecca or Medina, but here amongst the willing, the knowledgeable, and the steadfast.  After reading your comments, my outlook on our future is quite optimistic.

Wasalam and My Warmest Regards,
M. Jawad

My thoughts and prayers are with you.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic