IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional > Americas
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Living in America/ the West  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Living in America/ the West

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Living in America/ the West
    Posted: 27 August 2006 at 5:26am
From the character of most of the posts here & on other message boards here, America (and by extension the West) is nothing but a web of conspiracy, hatred and death for Muslims; many posts say as much.

However, when perusing the locations of many of the posters here I also noticed that the great majority of the posters write from locations there, rather than from places noted to be Muslim.

Which leads me to wonder, since America (and by extension the West) is such a despicable place, why do so many Muslims (who evidently hate the place and those that conspire against them) choose to live there?  Is there anything at all good about living in the West?
Fear_Allah View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fear_Allah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2006 at 12:13pm

Alsalam alikom w rahmato Allah w barakato,

Well,I believe that some western countries may not be a good place to live in.First of all life there is full of sins and it's so hard to still having a good deen there"even some people amaze me by their deen"..and also no one can deny that nowadays "specially after 11/9" Some western countries are not good places to live in..

BUT I don't think we have to blame muslims who live there,There are millions of reasons which no one can ignore,

For example,Some people have been living in The US or some western countries for years,they immigrated there when there was almost no problem with muslims,Others live there because they have no country"such as palestanians",You will ask me why don't palestainians live in Arab countries and I'll answer you saying that the bad situation in the US or some western countries is much better for them than living in an arab country and I myself know a family of a palestanian man living in the US,even they are not happy there but they prefer living there"It's a big issuse and needs an another thread",,,

Another reason for living in the US or some western countries is MONEY,Some people really have misreable situation in their countries and find living in the west is a big grace and this kind of persons almost care about nothing except money...

I hope that the situation there will be better,,Ameen

Alsalam alikom w rahmato Allah w barakato...

Edited by Fear_Allah
Our LORD! accept from us. You indeed, You are the all-Hearing, the all-Knowing. (2:127)
runner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2006 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Fear_Allah Fear_Allah wrote:

Well,I believe that some western countries may not be a good place to live in.First of all life there is full of sins and it's so hard to still having a good deen there"even some people amaze me by their deen"..and also no one can deny that nowadays "specially after 11/9" Some western countries are not good places to live in..

BUT I don't think we have to blame muslims who live there...

I hope that the situation there will be better,,Ameen

Wasalam, Fear Allah.  Thank you for your kind reply.  I think we all hope for a better situation for all, inshalla.

Your reply brings up another impression, one which we hear often from those outside the US/West.  If life there is so sinful/if the deen is so sinful, then is it even possible for a Muslim to live largely free of sin,  to live a life of less sin than say in many existing (self-proclaimed) Muslim countries?

If so, how can that possibly be?  Might it be that the west is not as evil as is commonly claimed?  Otherwise how would they be so blessed while Muslim countries are so cursed with violence and backwardness of the sorts you mentioned?  Certainly all human enterprises suffer from sin and avarice and would be better places without the sin.  But in that case might not some balance in expressed views of life in the West & with its people vs. that in Islamic places be in order?

jabedi View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jabedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2006 at 5:35pm

Salamualaikum and hello,

The issue you raise here might best be understood if you look at it in terms of perspective.  Users who share their thoughts and opinions have a perspective related to their religion, geography, and emotional state.  Some write posts about the 'evil of the west' out of frustration in our foreign policy as many Americans share in those same frustrations.  Americans who are also Muslims are torn by the actions of our country in its foreign policy and new domestic enforcement policy, while at the same time being born here and enjoying time with our families and friends.   Most Muslims are in agreement of the foreign policy but in various degrees as a result of the factors that contribute to their perspectives.  Personally, I can say that it is a difficult time to be a Muslim in the US not because anyone is stopping me from believing what I believe, but because I have been made to feel like an enemy in my own country.  But again, most of the posts that are hateful and so forth are out of frustration and should not be replied to. 

Wasalam and Best Regards

runner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2006 at 4:19am
Salam, Jabedi, and thank you for your articulate reply.  I try to post, not in haste but after much forethought and consideration, that is how I avoid some of the hateful-frustration expressions which you correctly point out.  I find that most from those who measure the quality of their postings to consist mainly of quantity rather than in internal qualities.  However it does cause me to miss some things; between my last and yours Fear Allah did post a reply to mine, to which I had intended to reply but I notice that in the interim hers (if mistaken about gender I will stand corrected) had disappeared.  Not that there was anything intemperate about it, which is why I am disappointed that it has since disappeared.

I can appreciate that it is difficult to be an American Muslim during these times, but I am glad too that you do not seem to be threatened with life or limb, or with dispossession as too many Muslims around the world are.  And at least you recognize the variety of opinion among Muslims about things like foreign policy, in which one can find much both to agree with and to disagree with.  That is too often clouded by those who post by quantity rather than quality.

I also hope that you can recognize that impatience, fear and frustration is shared by non-Muslim Americans and other westerners.  And that the proper cause of it is the constant threats by the terrorists who claim to do so in the name of Islam, rather than the pathological hatred either of other Muslims nor of most Westerners.

Inshallah we can all emerge from this with a clearer understanding of each other, and thereby all live in peace and prosperity--free of the fears and hatred that this conflict has generated.

Edited by runner
mariyah View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariyah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2006 at 11:48am
Originally posted by jabedi jabedi wrote:

Salamualaikum and hello,

The issue you raise here might best be understood if you look at it in terms of perspective.  Users who share their thoughts and opinions have a perspective related to their religion, geography, and emotional state.  Some write posts about the 'evil of the west' out of frustration in our foreign policy as many Americans share in those same frustrations.  Americans who are also Muslims are torn by the actions of our country in its foreign policy and new domestic enforcement policy, while at the same time being born here and enjoying time with our families and friends.   Most Muslims are in agreement of the foreign policy but in various degrees as a result of the factors that contribute to their perspectives.  Personally, I can say that it is a difficult time to be a Muslim in the US not because anyone is stopping me from believing what I believe, but because I have been made to feel like an enemy in my own country.  But again, most of the posts that are hateful and so forth are out of frustration and should not be replied to. 

Wasalam and Best Regards

As-Salamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu

I find this thread interesting. Yes, there are many frustrated Muslims in the US. I am currently residing south of the US border with my husband in a small town, (we are caring for his elderly mother and he is refurbishing her rather large Moorish style home, it is running down) and commute to Southern Arizona to work 12 hour shifts 3 times a week. I am blessed to have this option. We have kept our house near Tucson, that is our legal US address and mailing address. Our son (I have four grown ones!) attends the U of A pharmacy college from there..And maintains my house. It is a wonderful arrangement and is working well. I wish all American Muslims had my options.

The people of Mexico are more tolerant of Muslims. There is a small enclave of expatriate muslims here in this small border town. We have a small masjid.  When I was living in the US, I became tired of being treated rudely for wearing a headscarf. The people who treated me the worse were the immigrant Chinese and orientals that owned some of the Mom and Pop type stores. And then I made the mistake one time of shopping on the northside of the city at the "redneckville" Walmart. I found the only places I could shop and not be treated like someone from outer space was near University...hmm. I guess educated folks are much more accepting of differences.

That is why so many express frustration here in the forum. There is no where else to go really. At the Tucson Islamic Center it was difficult to relate to many of the members there because many were from the middle east and were here only associated with the University. Very few native borns here. One of the "terrorists" associated with 9/11 attended this mosque for a few years. They look at my blue eyes with distrust, I believe they have had spies in their midst before. You could find more sympathy with the people at the Ahmediyya mosque down the road. There are more Ahmediyyas in southern AZ than Muslims..that is sad. They----the flag worshippers and the rednecks--drive Muslims away!

Edited by Maryah
"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.
Hanan View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2006 at 5:52pm

Edited by Hanan
runner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2006 at 7:31am
Thank you sisters for your thoughtful replies.  Indeed life is difficult, especially for Muslims these days.

Maryah's remark caught my attention:
"When I was living in the US, I became tired of being treated rudely for wearing a headscarf. The people who treated me the worse were the immigrant Chinese and orientals that owned some of the Mom and Pop type stores. And then I made the mistake one time of shopping on the northside of the city at the "redneckville" Walmart. I found the only places I could shop and not be treated like someone from outer space was near University...hmm. I guess educated folks are much more accepting of differences."

Both this remark and yours, Hanan, suggest another hypothesis about ordinary Americans/Westerners impressions of Islam and of Muslims.  Perhaps it is simply ignorance, an ignorance which is fed mainly by an absence of (known) everyday contact with good Muslims like yourselves, in everyday life situations.  Since there are Muslims associated with the University (as you have said Maryah), and the general absence of mosques (and likely Muslims) in so many places, one would not be surprised to find a comfort in university type settings for Muslims, which is lacking in other places (like in redneckville), thus you are observed as some sort of exotic creature (since to them, in their customary settings, you are).

Does this make any sense to you?

Edited by runner
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic