IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - "Prostitution behind the veil"  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Prostitution behind the veil"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kim! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Prostitution behind the veil"
    Posted: 19 April 2005 at 8:38pm

This program was broadcast in Australian tv last night. Sounds like life is not good in Iran for many people.  :(

http://www.dfi.dk/sitemod/moduler/index_english.asp?pid=2153 0

Kim...

MOCKBA View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOCKBA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2005 at 10:37pm

if we begin judging by what we see in films, it will sound that life is not good on Mars etiher and requires immediate intervention of American space-troops in order to restore peace and justice in the solar system... add some colors to life, splash some red in the streets and homes...

MOCKBA

ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2005 at 5:41am

I saw this same program on Canadian television about a month ago or so.  I was very upset and saddened.  I guess humans will be humans no matter where they live or what 'religion' they profess - sad, very sad.

Peace, ummziba

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
ZamanH View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZamanH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2005 at 11:16am

Life is not good for people in India, too. People are poor and many young men take to illegal activities to earn and thus the infrastructure for indulgence in immorality is created.

An enemy of an enemy is a fickle friend.
There will be more women in hell than men.
..for persecution is worse than the slaughter of the enemy..(Quran 2:191)
Heaven lies under mother's feet
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2005 at 5:06pm

Bismillah,

Thank you for the link, Kim.

I didn't make a film, but my friend and I saw evidence of prostitution in Jordan a couple of times.  It was very disheartening. 

May Allah, SWT, guide us all, ISA.

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
Azadeh View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Azadeh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2005 at 11:13pm

We, a group of Iranian students and families in Australia, protest against the SBS policy of regularly broadcasting solely one type of Iranian movies and documentaries that portray Iran as hell; Iranian culture as backward; and the whole nation as a place of hunger, earthquake, immorality, and poverty. We have not seen a single positive piece about Iran broadcast from the Australian media. Most specifically, we hereby express our objection to the broadcasting of the documentary �Prostitution behind the Veil� in The Cutting Edge program on Tuesday 19 April 2005 for the following reasons: 

First, the film breaches the ethics of making others your subject. For instance, while the director, Nahid Persson promises the clergyman, the old man and Leila (17-year-old girl) not to record the Sighe (temporary marriage) session, she acts contrary to her promise.

Neither should she have shown the faces of people she showed for the second reason that it endangers their lives through publicising their culturally and socially stigmatised behaviour. Besides, as in many countries, in Iran drug abuse and prostitution are illicit acts. We believe that the filmmaker and producers have manipulated the two women and others in the film. 

Third, taking two problematic cases from the bottom line end of society with drug and probably psychological problems and generalising it to the whole population distorts the fact that we feel the majority of Iranians definitely practice monogamy and that temporary marriage is culturally and socially unacceptable. 

Fourth, portraying Iranian women mainly as victims of social injustice in Iran is itself unjust to the struggle of women and human rights activists in Iran. One instance of the bright side of Iran that we hardly ever witness in media is that 65 percent of all university students are women. Women are increasingly granted scholarship to pursue their higher education in the best universities all around the world. They are also approximately half of working force in education and medical sectors. Further, according to organizations such as World Health Organization (WHO) and UNICEF, the situation of women's health in Iran has significantly improved in the past years. Not only have child mortality rates fallen dramatically, but life expectancy at birth has also increased significantly.

Iranian female students signing this letter believe that the director who has lived twenty years away from Iran has no authentic right to speak for millions of Iranian women inside due to her poor and simplified analysis of the complexity of life there. 

Finally, the issues Iran is usually targeted at are the problems some other countries such as Australia are also confronted with such as illicit drug abuse. Current studies indicate that there is a close relationship between abuse of illicit drugs and some antisocial behaviour such as prostitution and crime (UNODC 2004). Illicit drug users are likely to participate in criminal activities such as burglary or sell sex to obtain enough money for buying their drug of interest. Therefore, singling Iran out in the world and magnifying a minor problem in Iran such as temporary marriage as a widespread practice and a challenging problem for women in Iran is overlooking the strong family ties in Iranian culture while at the same time the audience forgets the routine practice of casual relationships, under age sex or one- night-stands in most countries.

Overall, there are two perceptions of Iran with a huge gap between: one is the perception Iranians have of themselves, and the other is how Western audience perceive Iran and Iranians. The material SBS broadcast about Iran is far away from what the majority of Iranians can identify with. It is a version that at best represents a minority of Iranians. We urge SBS to adopt a balanced approach in its depiction of Iran to give a more reasonable and accurate image of this nation in all its complexity. 
kim! View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kim! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2005 at 11:50pm

Azadeh? Have you heard of Orkut? (www.orkut.com)

There are some _excellent_ topics there in the Iranian communities, I have learned a lot there.

I _know_ things are not completely dire in Iran, but they aren't that great in many cases. You do realise the guy who beheaded his own daughter in 2002 (when he thought she _might_ have been molested by her uncle) is due out of jail this year?

I'm sorry you've been upset by all of this, but really - if the film-makers are Iranian and the book authors are Iranian, then doesn't that tell us _something_ is going wrong over there?

Kim...

kim! View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kim! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2005 at 12:02am

And yes, of course countries like Australia have drugs and crime problems and the like, but we are not a country run by a religion claiming to be perfect.

I should elaborate my thoughts on this, but I'm busy. Will be back asap.

Kim...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic