IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Zoroastrianism  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Zoroastrianism

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zoroastrianism
    Posted: 16 August 2006 at 10:44am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoroastrism

Do any of you know anything about these guys?  Its a monotheistic religion.  I stumbled on it the other day and found it fascinating.

amlhabibi2000 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlhabibi2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2006 at 4:23pm

I know they say that when a child is born into the community the child brings a bright light

Judgement day passes in the moment we decide something needs attention & we take positive action. Then there will be a great sorting out of people into groups, Inspired by Surah 99 Ayat 1-8
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2006 at 7:35am

known about it for awhile, it is also noted that the three main religions stem from Zoroastrianism. Monotheism, the belief in one God came from it to, as Zoroastra came to believe in one God first. I remember once a long time ago watching a documentary on it that Zoroastra saw a vision in a fire, can't remember exactly.

They have fire as a symbol of life and light, just as the sun (which is basically a big ball of fire) sustains us. Light being the goodness, that illuminates through us. (Let your light shine  )

Kinda relate to this because it is the sun i have an affinety with, (or also i hate it at time, its a love hate relationship at times )  I sometimes just stand with eyes close facing the sun feeling its radiance and essence. It is what sustains us and gives life without it we would die. I guess this is why i have a somewhat interest in zoroastrainism, at least my ears pick up   

So yes i can see and understand why they use fire as a symbol of life, I don't believe they worship it. 

In another documentary, the people light a fire in what looks like a huge bowl and they stand around it and pray.

Once zoroastrains had to hide from prosecution just like other groups of beliefs and religions.  

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
superme View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2006 at 6:52pm
I read a book long time ago and it mentioned briefly about this. The author reckon Solomon travel fast because he used rocket. One day he land in that area and his firey rocket frighten this people. And they worship the fire ever since. That's all I can recall at this moment from that book.
DavidC View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Christian
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2006 at 2:35am
Originally posted by amlhabibi2000 amlhabibi2000 wrote:

I know they say that when a child is born into the community the child brings a bright light

I don't know about that, but they certainly do bring an insatiable appetite for flashlight batteries.
Christian; Wesleyan M.Div.
Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2006 at 7:49am
On the People of the Book thread, someone mentioned they were dualist, not monotheistic.  I can't find reference on any of their sites about another deity.   Anyone have a link from a Zoroastrian website that backs this up?
Lamplighter View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lamplighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2006 at 10:59pm
Dear All,

I stumble with a friend that makes a conclusion that may be Christianity (and thus Islam) is not derived from Judaism, but from Zoroastrism. Still need to read further on that subject though.
And a Child brings bright light to the world, at least to the parents. But the world gets darker and people live in darkness that some people hate their own babies and do abortion and things like that. Well, lights can hurt eyes.

LL
Cyril View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2006 at 6:33am
Lamplighter

It is possible that Zoroastrism has influenced Judaism and consequently Christianity.
The Jews (at least a majority of them) were sent into exile by the Assyrians to nowadays Iraq (around 600 BC) when Zoroastrism was in full bloom there. Different notions found in Zoroastrism and unknown to Judaism appeared in the OT at that time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic