IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islamic INTRAfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What about Shias  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat about Shias

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
najamsahar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2006 at 2:36am

Andalus:

Wsalaam

You are speaking about the exceptions,these people who mix and pray with Sunnis.

For a person to be Shia, he/she follows a set of beliefs that are in many ways contrary to the Sunni belief. I am speaking about Shias in general, what they believe and practise in. And what makes them a shia.

When you say that you meet and mix with people who are Shia, do you also know that in the US, (I know only about Virginia and New York), Shias have their own mosques, they even have their own community centres where the kids go to their own sunday schools.

However, I do understand the kind of people you must know. I also know some Shias who, through the internet and other sources, have read up a lot about Islam and they realise that the religion they follow has serious flaws.

Many of the generations before them really believed that the goats or something else ate up the Quran pages and that the revelation was in fact meant for Hazrat Ali RA and that grave injustices have been done to the family of Fatima RA at the hand of the rightly guided Caliphs.

Now the the opne minded and educated people of the present generations (who heard all these goat stories while growing up) especially in the US, have changed their ways of thinking and some have embraced Sunnism as the right path, alhamdulillah. Again, these are exceptions!

Some more of these, know that they are wrong but then do not make a declaration of being Sunni because of family/community pressures.

The brother who started this discussion meant to ask about the Shia faith and shi'ite people, not exceptions.

-Najamsahar

Andalus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2006 at 10:53pm

Assalam Aleikum!

Originally posted by najamsahar najamsahar wrote:

Assalam Aleikum.

I am not an expert about the Shi'ite path or experience. But I will say that I know numerous Shi'ites who mix with Sunnis at a local moque and they believe the Quran is complete and there is no mistake.

Some pray with the clay tablet as a way of allowing the forehead to touch the earth, rather than, what could be a dirty floor.

Allahu a'lim ------------------------------------------------- ------

Andalus: You are telling me something i did not know. From what I know, even in the masjid alHaram, they leave right before the congregational prayer.

Of course I did not give an official Shi'ite written statement of official beliefs. There are places where Sunnis and Shi'ites have serious odds, and they prefer to pray behind their own Imam. I know that here in the US, I have been to places where Shi'ites and Sunnis pray mixed in congregation, and there is no problem. I have also been in group dhikr where we were mixed. 

Also I know a family who is Shia and they do not pray behind a Sunni Imam.

As I said, I cannot speak for every Shia. I can only speak about my experiences which has lead me to see that I cannot generalize all of them, although I do consider them to be in great error. And they think the same of me.

Also the clay tablet to many shias signifies the earth of karbala. If one has a prayer mat, why keep a piece of clay over it?

-Najamsahar

That someone might have a greater value for the clay because of the place the clay comes from does not take away from the belief that many Shia feel there is some connection between the clay of the earth and the Muslim.

Thats what I understand.

Allahu a'lim

A feeling of discouragement when you slip up is a sure sign that you put your faith in deeds. -Ibn 'Ata'llah
http://www.sunnipath.com
http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/
http://www.pt-go.com/
mariyah View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2006 at 12:40pm

Originally posted by ak_m_f ak_m_f wrote:

Originally posted by bmzsp bmzsp wrote:

Shias read and recite exactly the same Qur'aan that all Muslims have, regardless of how many chapters "the goats" chewed.

can goat eat paper?

BaaaaH!  Sheep Dip? Is there a website called www.askagoat.com? If you click on that link I'll laugh!

Edited by Maryah
"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2006 at 10:56am

Assalam Aleikum.

I am not an expert about the Shi'ite path or experience. But I will say that I know numerous Shi'ites who mix with Sunnis at a local moque and they believe the Quran is complete and there is no mistake.

Some pray with the clay tablet as a way of allowing the forehead to touch the earth, rather than, what could be a dirty floor.

Allahu a'lim ------------------------------------------------- ------

Andalus: You are telling me something i did not know. From what I know, even in the masjid alHaram, they leave right before the congregational prayer.

Also I know a family who is Shia and they do not pray behind a Sunni Imam.

Also the clay tablet to many shias signifies the earth of karbala. If one has a prayer mat, why keep a piece of clay over it?

-Najamsahar

ak_m_f View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2006 at 9:27am
Originally posted by bmzsp bmzsp wrote:

Shias read and recite exactly the same Qur'aan that all Muslims have, regardless of how many chapters "the goats" chewed.

can goat eat paper?
BMZ View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2006 at 9:14am
Andalus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2006 at 7:49am
Originally posted by mohammad mohammad wrote:

Yesterday night I had very hot talk with one friend of mine about shias, he insisting that shias are no so longer Muslim. I told him that we should not declare the Shias as disbeliever because they are believe on oneness of Allah's, they believe on all of Prophets, they believe on all Books of Allah, they believe on Angels & recursion of last day. They also believe that Mohammad (pbuh) is the last prophet & Holy Qurain is the word of Allah Almighty, So how we can say that these are less or disbeliever.

He was giving the many arguments in favor of his stand but some of his arguments is put me in difficult position to counter. He was saying that shias are believe that Qurain consist on forty parts 10 parts were eaten by goats at the time of Hazart Osman, so it means they are not believing the present Qurain is complete which is consisting 30 parts. So in this way they are ignoring the Allah promise that I am the one who is revealing this & I will be a guardian of this. This friend was telling me that they also amend the Kalama (Taueed).

What is the my point here if Shias are the so big contradictions then why not Muslim Scholars unanimously decide about them as they did about Ahamdias.

May some one clarify truth. I expect the litteral input from all of you.

Assalam Aleikum.

Allahu a'lim 

A feeling of discouragement when you slip up is a sure sign that you put your faith in deeds. -Ibn 'Ata'llah
http://www.sunnipath.com
http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/
http://www.pt-go.com/

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2006 at 7:13am

Shia people on the other hand are an extremely united community.

They also have the complete respect for the people in authority. See the ayatollah regimes, these were based mainly on faith the people had in the ayatollah, unlike some regimes in the sunni world like saddam hussien that were based on fear and intimidation.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic