IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Men (Brothers)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Yet another question about marriage  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yet another question about marriage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B.H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yet another question about marriage
    Posted: 06 August 2006 at 8:49pm

If the Holy Quran commands that men be the breadwinners in the family, then is it only logical that when it comes to finding jobs, getting promotions, ect then men should be given priority over the women?

herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2006 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by B.H. B.H. wrote:

If the Holy Quran commands that men be the breadwinners in the family, then is it only logical that when it comes to finding jobs, getting promotions, ect then men should be given priority over the women?

Bismillah,

No.  Because we don't live in a perfect world where there are men to take care of the women as in this scenario.  It happens sometimes, but not always.  Would you deny a job or support to a mom supporting her kids on her own and give it to a man who might have his own home and less financial obligations in reality to meet?

We live in the real world and need real world solutions.  Black and white answers to questions are rarely the answer.

Salaamu Alaykum

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
B.H. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B.H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2006 at 12:13am

You have given a  good objection. However, I infer you have no problem with what I suggested per see in and of itself when the woman has a faithful husband who is able to take care of her and her family.

Edited by B.H.
sinful servant View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinful servant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2006 at 12:29am

when a woman has a caring husband who is financially stable then there is no need for her t work BUT i think that if she still wants to work after that then she should be given the chioce and recruited on the same grounds as any man.hwever it might also happen that she is given the job over a man who really needs it cos he has a wife and kids to support.but as herjihad has said we dont live in a pefect world.i mean u are not required to put "i have a wife and kids to support" n your CV so pple will choose you over someone less "worthy"

Be careful how you interpret the Quran and its teachings and make sure that u dont accept an interpretation that suits you but rather one that is just and fair

Allah Knows Best

najamsahar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote najamsahar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2006 at 3:44am

Yes, a man should be given priority.

This should be done in a country where every muslim woman should unquestionably have a reasonable life provided for her with dignity. This includes single women, widows and women who chose not marry.  

Which country in the world gaurantees a person this right (which ofcourse is God given to us women) based on her gender? Not even one.

sinful servant View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinful servant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2006 at 5:34am
well put najamsahar i agree completely
fatima View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2006 at 6:21am

Bismillah irrahman irrahim

Assalamu alaikum

I tell you an incident from time of second caliph Umar (ra) which might show the stand of islam. He needed a judge for his courts and after considering many sahabah (ra), he appointed a sahabia (ra). I am sure in that time there was no application process, he must have thought about capable people and He chose a woman.

Yes a man is responsible for the family but if a woman is applying too and she is more suitable for the position, it should be given to her. Islam does not ask women not to work, so if they chose to work, they should be judged fairly because Allah swt is Just and He likes Just decisions.

wassalam

Say: (O Muhammad) If you love Allah, then follow me, Allah will love you and forgive you your faults, and Allah is Forgiving, MercifuL
najamsahar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote najamsahar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2006 at 6:59am

The incident you presented is good. To be a judge, one requires mental skills which are not specific to either gender.

In the world we know today, most jobs are the same, you can get a lot done by pushing buttons. A man can write a program which a woman can do as well. If in the olden days women were bound to the household due to the kids and kitchen work, with diapers and microwaves, women have a lot of free time too (compared to the olden days when women would light fires to make bread).

Life has changed and instead of limiting ourselves with that which implies that women should be homebound etc, each one of us, men and women need to work to the fullest extent that islam would allow us to. Not for oursleves but for the good of the entire Ummah.

Regards

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic