IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - People of the Book  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

People of the Book

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2006 at 8:56am

Dear Muhammad,

I respect your opinion and your religion, but I must humbly reject your assertion that the Qu'ran is THE only book.  We of other religions feel just as strongly that our "book" is the correct one.  Christians do NOT believe the Bible was distorted, etc., it was simply translated into various languages so everyone could read it.....the meaning(s) remain the same as when Jesus and all the prophets (who were inspired by God) wrote the Holy Scriptures and the Gospels.

God's Peace Always to You!

Patty

I don't know what the future holds....but I know who holds the future.
Patty View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2006 at 9:02am

Originally posted by Cyril Cyril wrote:

Patty

There are a few denominations which call themselves Christians but are not recognized as such by other Christians.
For example the Jehovah Witnesses believe in a duality consisting in a main God who created a lesser God (Jesus). The Mormons believe in a trinity composed of three separate Gods.
I heard only on the internet about the denomination you mention.

Muslims have the same problem with Alevi Turks and Syrian Nusayris who most certainly consider themselves as Muslims.

Oh yes, I'm aware of them.  Also included are the Unitarians and the Church of Scientology.  I do believe the Apostolics are considered to be Christians, but they're treading on very thin ice.  I'm familiar with them, and even attended their church on an occasion.  It scared me half to death!  There was much running up and down the aisles, speaking in tongues, falling down, etc.  Please know that I am not making fun of these people.  I know they are sincere and honestly believe in their chosen church.....but it did really frighten me.  They even had a band up front where the pulpit was...complete with guitars and drums!  I'm sorry for seeming to be intolerant.  I am very tolerant, but I felt about as far away from God in this church as I would in a nightclub on New Years Eve. 

I need to research the Apostolics to see if they are considered Christians, or a church unto themselves.  Thank you for the information, Cyril!

God's Peace to you.

Patty

Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2006 at 9:40am

Which denominations? I live in Europe in a Christian surrounding and never heard about them.

I am Mormon, we do not believe in the Trinity.  Jesus, Christ, the Son of God.  The Holy Spirit is a separate being too.

However, I would consider us MORE polytheistic than other Denominations. 

Elohim (God/Allah) is supreme.  Jehovah (Jesus, the Son) is the savior, and the Holy Spirit is the Comforter. 

Though we are Christians we are very different.  I've been involved in several arguements as to whether Mormons would be considered People of the Book.  With our polytheistic doctrines, our belief in Modern Prophets and the fact that most Christians call us non-Christian.

Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2006 at 9:47am

There are a few denominations which call themselves Christians but are not recognized as such by other Christians.

This has always bugged me.  The fracturing of Christian denominations really leaves none with the authority to label what is or is not.  In the days of the Church undivided, the Patriarchs had that kind of authority.  But really, not any longer.  If you are Methodist its because you think they are the most right.  Or Catholic... Or Orthodox.

An Orthodox Priest is going to say that a Baptist Preacher is teaching false doctrines and therefore have deviated from the True Teachings of Christianity.

So really one group does not have a right to deny the label to the others.  Mormons believe in Jesus Christ as the Son of God.  They are Christians.  As are the Jehovah's Witnesses (as much as I dislike them) and the Seventh Day Adventists.

BMZ View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2006 at 9:53am

Dear Angela,

From you: "Elohim (God/Allah) is supreme.  Jehovah (Jesus, the Son) is the savior, and the Holy Spirit is the Comforter."

Since you declared Elohim (God/Allah) Supreme, you are already among the People of the Book. Congratulations.  

Having heard from you, we can say that Mormons should be considered People of the Book.

Hope Annie and George are not reading this.  I, hereby, declare that Mormons are the People of the Book. Welcome to the People of the Books Club.

Cyril View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2006 at 9:55am
Patty

By your description of what you call Apostolics I recognized what we call Pentecostals.
Their main feature is the speaking in tongues which they attribute to the Holy Spirit visiting them, hence their name of Pentecostals. They are a branch of the large Evangelical churches.
In my opinion they are Christians as they adhere to the Trinity definition.
Patty View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2006 at 10:01am

Angela,

I do not like to label anyone either.  I believe in the teachings and doctrines of my Church, Roman Catholic.  But it doesn't matter, in my opinion, what church a person embraces IF they are sincerely and honestly doing their best to follow the will of God.  If they accept God as their way to salvation, and are trying their very best to lead an upright, moral, and just life, I feel God will honor their efforts and grant them salvation on the Last Day.  The God I worship is a merciful God....and I'm certain he will grant us mercy when He judges us.  It is not His will that any be lost.  Why would he choose to send a morally upright person, whom he created and loves, to Hell because they found Him in a Baptist church, a Mormon Temple, or a Catholic Cathedral, rather than a, oh, I don't know, Pentacostal church?  I believe he is very fair and just when it comes to damning a person's soul to Hell for all eternity.  I believe Hell is reserved for those who refuse to accept Him, and those who commit hideous crimes for which they steadfastly refuse to ask His forgiveness.  God created us, He loves us dearly, we are His children.   He will show His love for us on Judgement Day.  And He will also show is sadness when He determines an individual did refuse to accept him during their lifetime. I believe God must be extremely saddened when He must send anyone to Hell.

So, no, I don't label people.  What's the purpose?

Love

Patty

Patty

Cyril View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2006 at 10:12am

Angela

You are right when you say that an Orthodox may say to a Baptist that he is teaching false doctrines. But that Orthodox will never deny him the title of Christian as both believe in exactly the same Trinity.
All Christian denominations, Catholics, Protestants, Orthodox, Copts, Evangelicals, Pentecostals, Methodists, Baptists, etc, all believe in the same definition of the Trinity. So it is absolutely not a problem to see who is a Christian and who is not.
All the many quarrels and disputes of doctrine they have among themselves are about things apart from the Trinity.

If as a Mormon (or should I say a LDS?) you believe in three Gods, I don't understand why Bmz includes you among the People of the Book. It should be only for strict monotheists.

Edited by Cyril
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
  Share Topic