IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - People of the Book  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

People of the Book

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: People of the Book
    Posted: 05 August 2006 at 6:08pm

I have read a lot regarding Muslims, Jews, and Christians being "People of the Book".  A question came to me yesterday.  Maybe someone can answer it.  We are the people of what Book?

Patty

I don't know what the future holds....but I know who holds the future.
ALEH View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALEH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2006 at 6:50pm

The Bible , the Torah

Judgement day is born in each moment, a moment to see if we need Education, Counseling or Consultation to meet our challenges with grace and dignity for all. (My favorite surah is 99, 1-8)
BMZ View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2006 at 8:35am

Hi Patty,

People of the Book means those people who had received Divine messages before, through prophets. they were the people who were aware that there is only One Lord Almighty and they followed all the laws given to them.

When Qur'aan refers to Christians and Jews as the people of the Book, it tells us that they had scriptures and were aware of God and His Commandments, etc.

The Arabs never had received any prophets before, hence they were told that if they did not believe in Qur'aan, they could ask the Jews and Christians, who had received God's Messages and Commandments before. 

In other words, people who knew of God and had heard about God and believed in God, before.

An example: There is only One Lord God Almighty. The Arabs did not believe that and they had Christians and Jews living among them. They were thus asked to check and find out from these people who had received God's Messages. People of the Book also means people with the knowledge about God.

Thus, the Jews and Christians are people of the book, the Torah and the Injeel. Torah of Moses and Injeel, the preaching by Jesus.  

Edited by bmzsp
Cyril View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2006 at 9:06am
I agree with Bmzsp when he says "people of the Book also means people with the knowledge about God". I would add "the One God".

"Book" in the sentence "people of the Book" means the message that God has revealed.

So any people who has received a message from the One God is a people of the Book.
For that reason Zoroastrians are often included in the peoples of the Book, as are Sabeans.
Patty View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2006 at 10:02am
I see what you say.  But if Muslims believe the Bible is not true, or has been corrupted, of what good is the Bible, and in light of such, why would I, as a Catholic and firm believer that the Bible is NOT corrupt, still be considered a Person of the Book?  Maybe I'm just not understanding this correctly.
Patty

I don't know what the future holds....but I know who holds the future.
DavidC View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Christian
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2006 at 3:24pm
Do the Zoroastrians believe in the Zabur as do the Sabeans?
Christian; Wesleyan M.Div.
BMZ View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2006 at 5:51pm

David,

No, the Zoroastrians do not believe in the Zabur. Islam does not consider them as People of the Book.

Zoroastrians believe their God is Mazda, who is represented by fire.

People of the Book refers to Sabeans, Jews and Christians only.

BMZ

Edited by bmzsp
Cyril View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2006 at 12:20am

Bmzsp

I see that you disagree with Imam Malik Ibn Anas one of Islam's greatest scholars. He included the Zoroastrians as People of the Book.

On the other hand many Muslims consider Christians as polytheists because of the Trinity (and without the Trinity there would be no Christians).
So it is a kind of nonsense to include them among the People of the Book.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
  Share Topic