IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Who or what is killing Christianity?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Who or what is killing Christianity?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who or what is killing Christianity?
    Posted: 14 July 2006 at 5:33pm

The topic says it all.

We know Christianiy is declining, but that applies to others as well. But who is to blame for it's decline?

Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2006 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by superme superme wrote:

The topic says it all.

We know Christianiy is declining, but that applies to others as well. But who is to blame for it's decline?

Why does there need to be a blame, especially on someone??, I hate that!  

Society changes over time, civilation changes, peoples thoughts and the way they do things changes to, beliefs change also its not immune to it. With each generation there is something new to offer.

To be confined in a box is not what humans are made for, we need to explore we need to expand and grow and all that, if things don't change we don't evolve. 

No one is to blame, its a fact of life that things change, if it doesn't then things stagnat and die. Christianity isn't exactly dying its the way people believe that is changing, and with more studies on scriptures and what they mean, a more understanding comes to light and that changes to.

If christianity didn't change we would still probably be in the dark ages and getting burnt at the stake!  

Or believing in many gods still

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Patty View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2006 at 8:44pm

I believe (just my opinion) that the liberal news media, vulgar Hollywood movies targeted at young adults, sexually explicit lyrics in many cd's, the lack of values being taught in the home,  so many people not being family oriented, and people living only for today, for instant gratification, with little or no thought about their futures, much less their salvation and the afterlife are the causes of the decline in Christianity.

For these reasons I do not go to movies because I will not compromise my beliefs by paying good money which goes to these immoral filmmakers in Hollywood....or the actors/actresses.  It is very sad that so many have become interested only in material things of this world, which are very fleeting and shallow in the grand scheme of things.  I feel many persons do not have their priorities straight or as they really should be.  Their first priority should be to God, then to family, and to friends.  They need to work at making a real home for their children...even if it means going without some of the "material things" we seem to think we have "just got to have."  I live a very simple life in a small, but quite cozy, cottage in the woods.  My husband and I do not care for large parties, big nights out on the town, new cars every year, etc., etc.  We are deeply in love after many years, we love our family members and our friends, and we worship God the very best we know how.  We try deligently to please him and to ask forgiveness from Him, and from those we may have hurt or harmed in any way.  And, one thing we will never do is go to sleep angry at each other!  We always remember to hug and kiss goodnight, no matter what argument we may have had at some point during the day.

I don't know if I will have another tomorrow, or if my beloved husband, relatives, or friends will....so we do try to be very kind and loving.  If we could bring these values back into the families and homelife, and stop focusing so intensely on material and vulgar or sinful preoccupations, I believe those who have lost their faith would gradually return to find it.

May God/Allah bless you....

Edited by Patty
Patty

I don't know what the future holds....but I know who holds the future.
Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2006 at 9:28pm

superme,

There are a variety of factors in the decline of any faith.  I'm with Patty on the Hollywood influence.  Values are pushed, alternative lifestyles, even religions. You know that Madonna practices Kabbalah, Tom Cruise Scientology, Mia Farrow is Buddhist I think...they make these faiths look "cool" to youngsters. 

The second is families no longer have a focus on faith, being too religious is something to be suspicious of and to avoid.  The focus on secularization is bleeding from government to society at large.  With Multicuturalism, children are given options and educations in other faiths and cultures.

Then there is another one that I feel is the most destructive element.  Hypocrisy.  Churches are leaving behind traditional values and the teachings of the bible.  They are accepting homosexual bishops, not punishing adulterers and remaining silent on couples living in sin.  Churches that do still punish are considered harsh and controlling.  I believe in repentence like the next person, but you have to be willing to give up the sin for it to work.

My husband was very nearly excommunicated for us living together prior to our marriage.  The only thing that saved him was the fact that we had realized we were in the wrong, we married right away and we were honestly repentent of that fact.  Many other "Protestant" churches would have said nothing.  The Eastern Orthodox Church refused to marry us for two reason, he was not Orthodox (not even if he'd been another accepted Christian faith) and we were living in sin.  Thus we had a civil marriage.  I respect the Eastern Church and the Mormons for their dedication to their teachings.  Christianity as a whole seems to be losing this dedication even if some churches, like the Catholic Church, Orthodox and Mormon churches are holding onto the old fashioned values.

superme View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2006 at 2:41am

Whatever happened with the men here, are they around?

Ok actually I started that topic because this too:

And were it not that Christianity is sheltered in the strong arms of science - the science against which it had vainly struggled - the civilisation of modern Europe might fall [to Islam], as fell the civilisation of ancient Rome [to Christianity].

According to him Christianity was as though on the verge of collapse, but the sciece which the Christianity opposed in the past was the one that preventing the collapse. According to him Islam is the substitute of Christianity, but in Europe only though. Than he made the example the fall of Rome.

Yet Rome with it's science "fell" to Christianity, a religion which according to him is the opposite of science. Is your understanding the same I do? I think he was wrong here.

Than again why did he say that the survival of Christianity depend on science here?

I am trying to understand the whole thing just by reading 4 lines mind you!  That's why I ask you what or who is responsible. Alright I'll be back, maybe.

DavidC View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Christian
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2006 at 3:06am
I don't quite get your point, Supreme.  Rome was at it's apex when the Constantine took over.  The "fall" of the Roman Empire happened while Rome was Christian many years later.

Science did not come about until centuries later.

And I don't think Christianity is dying at all. Changing and evolving, but not dying.  Europe's old churches seem to have a problem, but elsewhere in the world Christianity is on the upswing.
Christian; Wesleyan M.Div.
Patty View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2006 at 7:28pm

Very good post, David.

Peace be with you....

Patty

I don't know what the future holds....but I know who holds the future.
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2006 at 9:39am

Hmm I have to say, knowing many people who were rasied "Christian" and who left Ithink it has to do with the fact that people are more exposed to ideas and as a soceity with more access to information, less likely to take things on the basic idea of "just believe."  When people look for answers about their existence they have problems with some of the basic tenants of Christianity.

Plus there is a complete de-emphasizing of generla spirituality in our world. People see so many wars, killing of environment, cruelty and find that answers are lacking.. Then they say where is the merciful God?

Today I say a picture of a babty elephant in Thailand with its foot blown off from a landmind and it makes you feel there is no justice here.. none at all.. just suffering....

Plus you meet one of those people (like my aunt) who tells people they  aregoing to hell if you don't believe what she believes and you want no part of that.

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic