IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Does the New Testament teach that Jesus ?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Does the New Testament teach that Jesus ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbaitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does the New Testament teach that Jesus ?
    Posted: 16 April 2005 at 4:38am

Does the New Testament teach that Jesus is God? Would anyone like to have a go at this?

Edited by rbaitz
DavidC View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Christian
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2005 at 5:28am
Yes, just like a cup of seawater is the ocean. If you take a cup of water
from the sea and place it on the beach it is 100% seawater.

But it is not a ocean. Jesus is God, but God is more than just Jesus.

DavidC
IslamicGirl View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IslamicGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2005 at 6:45am
I have studied the New Testement out of curiousity as a Muslim to discover similaraties between Islam and Christianity.. however my search was to understand what my husband's old religion was about..
I have not come accross one verse in the Bible where Our Prophet Jesus PBUH claimed that he is the Son of God.  Man has made this myth up by distorting God's true words.

Salams
*Islamic Girl*
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IslamicGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2005 at 6:57am
The first 2 commandment out of the 10 listed in the Bible are the following, and yet you see Christains & many other religions going against it: 

(1) �You shall have no other gods before me.� This command is against worshipping any god other than the one true God. All other gods are false gods. 

(2) �You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.� This command is against making a idol, a visible representation of God. There is no image we can create that can accurately portray God. To make an idol represent God is to worship a false god.  (SOURCE: http://www.gotquestions.org/Ten-Commandments.html)

Look at the different Sects of Christianity today & many other religions, they are putting idols or pictures and bowing down to them claiming it's an image of Jesus (PBUH) or another so-called God. 

Islam is AGAINST this, this is why practicing Muslims who truely fear Allah Ta'la pray facing the Holy City of Mecca & do not have images and idols around the prayer area.

Salam

Edited by IslamicGirl
*Islamic Girl*
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IslamicGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2005 at 7:01am

David C said: Jesus is God, but God is more than just Jesus.

Jesus is NOT GOD.  Jesus is our Prophet (PBUH) & a creation of GOD.

Salams

*Islamic Girl*
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IslamicGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2005 at 7:20am

The following is according to the BIBLE>>>

Question:  "Is Jesus God?  Did Jesus ever claim to be God?"

Answer:  *  Jesus is never recorded in the Bible as saying the exact words, �I am God. That does not mean He did not proclaim that He is God. Take for example Jesus� words in John 10:30, �I and the Father are one.� At first glance, this might not seem to be a claim to be God. However, look at the Jews� reaction to His statement, �We are not stoning you for any of these, replied the Jews, but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God� (John 10:33). The Jews understood Jesus� statement to be a claim to be God. In the following verses Jesus never corrects the Jews by saying, �I did not claim to be God.� That indicates Jesus was truly saying He was God by declaring, * �I and the Father are one� (John 10:30). John 8:58 is another example. Jesus declared, I tell you the truth, Jesus answered, before Abraham was born, I am!�  Again, in response, the Jews take up stones in an attempt to stone Jesus (John 8:59). Why would the Jews want to stone Jesus if He hadn�t said something they believed to be blasphemous, namely, a claim to be God?   (Source: http://www.gotquestions.org/is-Jesus-God.html)

*  Supporting my (IslamicGirl's) post which was 

Posted: 16 April 2005 at 6:45am on this forum

Supporting my reasoning that the Bible has been distorted by man, therefore the Bible contradicts itself. 

Look for example:

This is clearly in the bible:
I and the Father are one� (John 10:30) source:http://www.gotquestions.org/is-Jesus-God.html AND the 2nd commandment starts off by stating
(2) �You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below.  (Source:  http://www.gotquestions.org/Ten-Commandments.html)

John 1:1 says that �the Word was God.� John 1:14 says that �the Word became flesh.�  This clearly indicates that Jesus is God in the flesh. Thomas the disciple declared to Jesus, �My Lord and my God� (John 20:28).  Jesus does not correct him. In Revelation, an angel instructed the Apostle John to only worship God (Revelation 19:10). Several times in Scripture Jesus receives worship (Matthew 2:11; 14:33; 28:9,17; Luke 24:52; John 9:38). He never rebukes people for worshiping Him.  Although He never commands people to worship Him, He never discourages it either. If Jesus was not God, He would have told people to not worship Him, just as the angel in Revelation had. There are many other verses and passages of Scripture that argue for Jesus� deity. The most important reason that Jesus has to be God is that if He is not God, His death would not have been sufficient to pay the penalty for the sins of the whole world (1 John 2:2). Only God could pay such an infinite penalty.  (Source: http://www.gotquestions.org/is-Jesus-God.html)

*Islamic Girl*
DavidC View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Christian
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2005 at 8:31am
>>... The most important reason that Jesus has to be God is that if He is
not God, His death would not have been sufficient to pay the penalty for
the sins of the whole world...<<

The word is atonement, not penalty. At-one-ment, as explained by
Abelard. It refers the
reunion of God and Man.

The "penalty" or "price" is a common misunderstanding even among
Christians.

DavidC
rbaitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbaitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2005 at 10:32am

Hello and thank you for posting. To keep this post within the topic please refrain from deviating from the topic. Again the topic is,

"Does the New Testament teach Jesus is God?" To be honest to the biblical text let us not place our own ideas upon the text but let the scriptures speak for themselves. This is a good application when reading anything. Before we continue please know Christianity like Islam is a monothiest religion, we believe there is only one God.

Now here are a few passages from the Bible pertaining to Jesus.

John 1:1- "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God and the Word was God."

When is this beginning? This beginning is before the creation of the world because in verse 3 it talks about creation.

Well who is the "Word"?  John 1:14 tells us, "And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth." So Jesus is the Word who was with God before the creation.

This Word is also declared, "the Word was God" in John 1:1. This is not a disgussion on the Trinity so lets not go there right now. However the Bible tells us Jesus is God.

Edited by rbaitz
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic