IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Politics > Current Events
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Zidane: Mother and sister insulted  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Zidane: Mother and sister insulted

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasi siddiqui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zidane: Mother and sister insulted
    Posted: 12 July 2006 at 1:37pm

ROME, Italy (Reuters) -- Zinedine Zidane said on Wednesday he was provoked into head-butting defender Marco Materazzi during the World Cup final because the Italian insulted his mother and his sister.

In an interview with television channel Canal Plus, French captain Zidane apologized to children and fans but did not regret the attack that led to his sending off.

"He (Materazzi) pronounced very tough words about my mother and my sister. I tried not to listen to him but he kept repeating them," Zidane said.

"I knew it was my last game and I knew that there were only 10 minutes to play but things happened very swiftly", he said.

"I am a man before anything else," he added.

Zidane reacted to the insults by ramming his head into Materazzi's chest in the second period of extra time of the match that ended 1-1 and saw Italy triumph in a penalty shoot-out.

Widely regarded as the greatest player of his generation and playing the last game of his career, Zidane was shown a red card, leaving his team-mates to finish the match without him.

He denied Materazzi called him an Islamic "terrorist", as was reported by a Paris-based anti-racism group.

Zidane is of Algerian origin. His parents were born in the village of Aguemone in the Kabylie region.

FIFA decided on Tuesday to open a disciplinary investigation into the incident and Sepp Blatter, head of soccer's ruling body, hinted that Zidane could be stripped of the tournament's best player award.

The French playmaker said he was ready to face any disciplinary hearing and stressed that he was confident about the outcome.

"If someone can read (Materazzi's) lips, they will show that I'm telling the truth. The one who is really guilty must be punished," Zidane said.

"I don't want to attack anyone but I want to defend myself. I did something wrong and I was punished for that. I ended up alone in the changing rooms", Zidane said.

"But I was the one who was provoked and I reacted. It is always the one who reacts who is punished, never the one who provokes and this is not fair," he said.

Zidane apologized for his behaviour but he said he could not regret it.

"I know this is something that one should not do. I want to say that loud and clear because it was watched by two billion people and by millions of kids", Zidane said.

"I want to apologize to them but I can't regret what I did because it would mean that he (Materazzi) was right to say what he said.

"I have taught my kids to respect people and I have taught them that they deserve to be respected in return. I couldn't let something like that be said whout any reaction."

Blatter, meanwhile, was quoted as saying in an interview in Rome's La Repubblica newspaper: "FIFA's executive committee has the right and duty to intervene when it sees behavior that is contrary to sports ethics."

Asked if Zidane risked being stripped of the award for the World Cup's best player, Blatter said: "Before we make any decision we have to await the outcome of the investigation.

"Being presumed innocent until proven otherwise is sacred principle."

But he added: "Seeing him behave this way really, really hurt me."

FIFA's Golden Ball award was decided by media at the World Cup with the voting finishing before the halftime interval in the final.

amah View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2006 at 7:12am
"It is always the one who reacts who is punished, never the one who provokes"

That's how it works in this life....hmm...
Allah is Sufficient as a Walee (Protector) and Allah is Sufficient as a Naseer (Helper).
(Surah An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #45)
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2006 at 4:57pm

"I don't want to attack anyone but I want to defend myself. I did something wrong and I was punished for that. I ended up alone in the changing rooms", Zidane said.

"But I was the one who was provoked and I reacted. It is always the one who reacts who is punished, never the one who provokes and this is not fair," he said.

Zidane apologized for his behaviour but he said he could not regret it.

"I know this is something that one should not do. I want to say that loud and clear because it was watched by two billion people and by millions of kids", Zidane said.

"I want to apologize to them but I can't regret what I did because it would mean that he (Materazzi) was right to say what he said.

"I have taught my kids to respect people and I have taught them that they deserve to be respected in return. I couldn't let something like that be said whout any reaction."

Bismillah,

Didn't most of us realize that it was something like this that was said to aggravate Zidane so?  He says that it was the wrong thing to do but in the same breath says that he should defend himself and can't regret what he did.

It was wrong.  Why can I say that?  I am human; I make mistakes.  But looking at our beloved Prophet Muhammad's example, Zidane's ultimate error is not realizing that he should look to Muhammad, pbuh's example for the answer to what he should have done.

Peace

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
Suleyman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suleyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2006 at 5:00pm
The match should be re-played,this was not a world cup final....
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2006 at 7:49pm

Originally posted by Suleyman Suleyman wrote:

The match should be re-played,this was not a world cup final....

why??

What happened never interferred with the game!

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2006 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by herjihad herjihad wrote:

Zidane's ultimate error is not realizing that he should look to Muhammad, pbuh's example for the answer to what he should have done.

Peace

You know when you are in the middle of something like that, playing a game that requires a one track mind on the game there is no time to stop and think or talk to the other person that he is wrong.

when one is repeatedly harrassed, as zidane has mentioned he was thru out the game and didn't do anything beforehand, it is natural to react. IT must have been the atmost last resort that he did, so I agree with him that what he did was perhaps wrong but at the same time he needed to stop the italian guy. The italian guy deserved what he got. 

Zidane did the right thing in his statement to the press and showing the kids what is right and wrong.

I thought you guys are up for defence of one self, so why is it different for Zidane?

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Muhammad77 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muhammad77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2006 at 10:04pm
Zidane has never acted in this manner throughout is career. He looks so innocent, shy, reserved, silent from his face itself. When somebody exceeds the limits, as was the case of that Italian defender Materazzi, he deserved the head-butt. Moreover I have heard that Materazzi is a Jew, the Italians might have planned before match to insult Zidane. That Jew insulted the Muslims. Zidane is a Muslim. Zidane head butted a Jew and made the Jew lay fall on the ground Masha'Allah !

Edited by Muhammad77
ak_m_f View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ak_m_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2006 at 6:40am
Originally posted by Muhammad77 Muhammad77 wrote:

Zidane has never acted in this manner�throughout is career. He looks so innocent, shy, reserved, silent from his face itself.�When somebody exceeds the limits, as was the case of that Italian defender Materazzi, he deserved the head-butt. Moreover I have heard that Materazzi is a Jew, the Italians might have planned before match to insult Zidane. That�Jew insulted the Muslims. Zidane is a Muslim. Zidane head butted a Jew and made the Jew lay fall on the ground�Masha'Allah !<SPAN =smText></SPAN>

the jew the jew the jew the jew the jew .

Salman what are you? the jew hater? why dont you join neo nazi gruop?

Edited by ak_m_f
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic