IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Islamic Arts & Literatures
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Mevlana Series  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mevlana Series

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suleyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mevlana Series
    Posted: 15 April 2005 at 2:29pm

Sema: Human Being in the Universal Movement
Text by Dr. Celaleddin Celebi, illustrations by Ingrid Schaar Dr. Celebi's other writings

Whirling Dervishes in front of Mevlana's Mausoleum Sema is part of the inspiration of Mevlana Celaleddin-i Rumi (1207- 1273) as well as of Turkish custom, history, beliefs and culture.

From a scientific viewpoint we witness that contemporary science definitely confirms that the fundamental condition of our existence is to revolve. There is no object, no being which does not revolve and the shared similarity among beings is the revolution of the electrons, protons and neutrons in the atoms, which constitute the structure of each of them. As a consequence of this similarity, everything revolves and man carries on his live, his very existence by means of the revolution in the atoms, structural stones of his body, by the revolution of his blood, by his coming from the earth and return to it, by his revolving with earth itself.

Whirling Dervishes doing SemaHowever, all of these are natural, unconscious revolutions. But man is the possessor of a mind and intelligence which distinguishes him from and makes him superior to other beings. Thus the "whirling dervish" or Semazen causes the mind to participate in the shared similarity and revolution of all other beings� Otherwise, the Sema ceremony represents a mystical journey of man's spiritual ascent through mind and love to "Perfect." Turning towards the truth, his growth through love, desert his ego, find the truth and arrive to the "Perfect," then he return from this spiritual journey as a man who reached maturity and a greater perfection, so as to love and to be of service to the whole of creation, to all creatures without discrimination of believes, races, classes and nations.

nat-serif #8.gif 2958 bytesSema consists of seven parts.

The first part
The dervish with his headdress (his ego's tombstone), his white skirt (his ego's shroud) is by removing his black cloak spiritually born to the truth, he journeys and advances there. At the onset and each stop of the Sema, holding his arms crosswise he represent the number one, and testifies to God's unity. While whirling his arms are open, his right hand directed to the skies ready to receive God's beneficence, looking to his left hand turned toward the earth, he turn from right to left around the heart. This is his way of conveying God's spiritual gift to the people upon whom he looks with the eyes of God. Revolving around the heart, from right to left, he embraces all the mankind, all the creation with affection and love� It starts with an eulogy "Nat-I Serif" to the Prophet, who represents love, and all Prophets before him. To praise them is praising God, who created all of them.kudum #6.gif 3179 bytes

The second part is a drum voice, 
symbolizing God order to the Creation: "Be."

ney #7.gif 2255 bytesThe third part is an instrumental improvisation "taksim" with a reed "ney." It represents the first breath which gives life to everything. The Divine Breath.

The fourth part is the "dervishes" greetings to each other and their thrice repeated circular walk "Devr-i Veled," with the accompaniment of a music called "peshrev." It symbolize the salutation of soul to soul concealed by shapes and bodies.

The fifth part is the Sema (whirling). It consists of four salutes or "Selam"s. At the end of each as in the onset, the dervish testifies by his appearance to God's unity.

• The first salute is man's birth to truth by feeling and mind. His complete conception of the existence of God as Creator and his state of creature.
  • The second salute expresses the rapture of man witnessing the splendor of creation, in front of God's greatness and omnipotence.
  • The third salute is the transformation of rapture into love and thereby the sacrifice of mind to love. It is a complete submission, it is annihilation of self with in the loved one, it is unity. This state of ecstasy is the highest grade in Buddhism, defined as "Nirvana" and in Islam "Fenafillah." However, the highest rank in Islam is the rank of the Prophet, he is called God's servant first and his messenger afterwards. The aim of Sema is not unbroken ecstasy and loss of conscious thought. At the termination of this salute, he approves again by his appearance, arms crosswise the Unity of God, consciously and feelingly.
  • The forth salute Just as the Prophet ascends till the "Throne" and then returns to his task on earth, the whirling dervish reaching the state of "Fenafillah," return to his task in creation, to his state of subservience following the termination of his spiritual journey and his ascent. He is a servant of God, of his Books, of his Prophets and all his creation.
hirka cikar #9.gif 3094 bytes

First Salute

kiss hand #5.gif 3485 bytes

Kiss of hand
Permission to whirl (dance)

Second Salute

whirl #4.gif 2770 bytes

Third Salute - Whirling

meditation #2.gif 1831 bytes

At the sixth part Sema ends with a reading of the Quran and specially of the verse from sura Bakara 2, verse 115, "Unto God belong the East and the West, and whither over ye turn, you are faced with Him. He is All-Embracing, All-Knowing."

The seventh part is a prayer for the repose of the souls of all Prophets and all believers.

* Alternative spellings: Mawlana, or Mowlana, and Jalal Al-Din, or Jalaluddin

Suleyman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suleyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2005 at 2:31pm
turbe2.jpg 18697 bytesMevlana Mausoleum
Mevlana was laid to rest beside his father in Konya in present day Turkey and over his remains a splendid shrine was erected. The 13th century Mevlana mausoleum with its mosque, dance hall, dervish living quarters, school and tombs of some leaders of the Mevlevi Order. Find Konya

The mausoleum continues to draw pilgrims from all parts of the Muslim and non-Muslim world, mainly because, although Mevlana was a philosopher and mystic of Islam, he was not a Muslim of the orthodox type. While he was a devout Muslim, his doctrine advocates unlimited tolerance, positive reasoning, goodness, charity and awareness through love. To him and to his disciples all religions are more or less truth. Looking with the same eye on Muslim, Jew and Christian alike, his peaceful and tolerant teaching has appealed to men of all sects and creeds.

turbe1.jpg 10902 bytesMevlana Mausoleum was made a museum in 1927, four years after the establishment of the Turkish Republic. It is now one of the most visited museums in Turkey, attracting more than two million visitors a year.

For further information about Konya, the museum and for more images please visit these sites as well:

Turkish Ministry of Culture Konya Site

Turkish Ministry of Culture Mevlana Museum Site

Turkish Architecture in Anatolia

Suleyman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suleyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2005 at 2:32pm

"Come, come again, whoever you are, come!
Heathen, fire worshipper or idolatrous, come!
Come even if you broke your penitence a hundred times,
Ours is the portal of hope, come as you are."

Who are we?
This site is constructed by the Celebi family for their great-grandfather, Mevlana Celaleddin Rumi, the great
Anatolian philosopher, poet and the father of the Mevlevi sect.

In 1996 we have lost Dr. Celaleddin Bakir Celebi, the 19th great-grandson of Mevlana (21st generation descendant) and the past "Celebi," the leader of the Mevlevi sect. He was the the 32nd Celebi to occupy the post. We prepared this site in memory of him. A special section of this web site is dedicated to Dr. Celebi and a selection of his writings. more

Since Mevlana's death, Celebi family kept detailed record of their family tree. According to these records Celebi family is one of the oldest families in the world. Our family tree includes 26 generations and spans more than eight centuries from the present 21st great-grandchildren of Mevlana to his great-great father, Ahmed-i Hatibi of 12th century AD. more

Who is Mevlana?
Mevlana who is also known as Rumi, was a philosopher and mystic of Islam, but not a Muslim of the orthodox type. His doctrine advocates unlimited tolerance, positive reasoning, goodness, charity and awareness through love. To him and to his disciples all religions are more or less truth. Looking with the same eye on Muslim, Jew and Christian alike, his peaceful and tolerant teaching has appealed to men of all sects and creeds.
more

Mevlana was born on 30 September 1207 in Balkh in present day Afghanistan. He died on 17 December 1273 in Konya in present day Turkey. He was laid to rest beside his father and over his remains a splendid shrine was erected. The 13th century Mevlana Mausoleum with its mosque, dance hall, dervish living quarters, school and tombs of some leaders of the Mevlevi Order continues to this day to draw pilgrims from all parts of the Muslim and non-Muslim world. more

Mevlana's Mausoleum
Mevlana's Mausoleum

Whirling Dervishes
The "dance" of the Whirling Dervishes is called
Sema. Sema is a part of the inspiration of Mevlana as well as part of the Turkish custom, history, beliefs and culture.

Whirling Derwish

Sema represents a mystical journey of man's spiritual ascent through mind and love to "Perfect." Turning towards the truth, his growth through love, desert his ego, find the truth and arrive to the "Perfect," then he return from this spiritual journey as a man who reached maturity and a greater perfection, so as to love and to be of service to the whole of creation, to all creatures without discrimination of believes, races, classes and nations.  more

Suleyman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suleyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2005 at 2:33pm

THE TRUE SUFI

What makes the Sufi? Purity of heart;
Not the patched mantle and the lust perverse
Of those vile earth-bound men who steal his name.
He in all dregs discerns the essence pure:
In hardship ease, in tribulation joy.
The phantom sentries, who with batons drawn
Guard Beauty's place-gate and curtained bower,
Give way before him, unafraid he passes,
And showing the King's arrow, enters in.

Mevlana

MOCKBA View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOCKBA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2005 at 8:12pm

Salaam Suleyman,

I think we are "revolving" a bit off the authentic teachings of the Qur'aan and Sunnah here... Please mind other people's vestibular... 

MOCKBA 

Suleyman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suleyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2005 at 1:58am
Originally posted by MOCKBA MOCKBA wrote:

Salaam Suleyman,

I think we are "revolving" a bit off the authentic teachings of the Qur'aan and Sunnah here... Please mind other people's vestibular... 

MOCKBA 

Aleykum Selam ve Rahmettullahi ve Berakatuh brother Mockba,

Brother,you are absolutely right about opinion on the issue,sure;we should care the priorities of the Qur'an and Sunnah more than the things heard by the ears or the things heard from the mouths;but, brother there are some other gates to Islam for the foreign persons for their easily facing with the way(!) to islam(!) and shooting their minds from an another side...with looking to the issue from the other side,i am pleased to see that there are some gates to islam talking to with an different language to the others...the place i am have told about adheres so many person from the other countries and other cultures,religions;and most them are not ready to face with the message of tawhid,don't think that it is by the cause of it's hardness;no just coming from their biases...some sides of the  cultural(take care that i am not saying islam) activities or thoughts will be a good chance for us for breaking the biases of the persons...

For example,think about a person who came from Monaco living an high level rich life(so many curtains on his eyes) and visited Mevlana;then he will be more ready to think about islam;because Sema show is an amazing show that really flies the persons to the other dimensions...

Brother Mockba,i have understood what you are talking about;the way is still clear;the way we should,have to ,must walk is still staying on it'^s own way;highly applicable...;but what about the persons staying so far away from this road and hearing these kinds of activities;brother while we are(insh'Allah) walking on the way,don't think that everyone has the conditions to join with the same way...sometimes we should take care the conjectures;more we should use the conjectures for turning them to an another point(Islam...i think you have understood what i have said...thank you very much for your concern and accuracy...;

A bad news for you;

You have opposed to the father of Sufism Hz.Mevlana and you should be judged...i have ordered you a full truck of potatoes for your next life in jail by the cause of your oppose to sufism...;just an joke take care...Wa Salaam...

MOCKBA View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOCKBA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2005 at 6:56pm

Wa'alaikumu Salaam brother Suleyman.

Thank you very much for your time and effort in putting an explanation. There are indeed different gates of entering Islaam, and may Allaah guide us all towards the right gates. However, as far as spinning dervishes are concerned, i do not find it any Islaamic. May be it does symbolize something, and so does yoga meditation, and so does wailing wall... but neither our Prophet Muhammad [peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him] nor the Companions [may Allaah be pleased with them all] practiced or even mentioned of such thing as spinning.

If we were to invite people to Islaam, it has to be Islaam we are inviting them, too. A show is a show and the Truth is not to be concealed. Just recall the Early Ummah and how much suffering they have been subjected to, all because they were inviting to Islaam... and their message was delivered in the same manner fort both rich and poor, young and old... men and women.

I hope I am not opposing our beloved Prophet Muhammad [peace be upon him] be it knowingly or unknowingly... and as far as Mevlana is convcerened, it is not as important, and i believe he himself would agree.  

May Allaah reward you for your good intention.

Ma'a Salaam

MOCKBA

Edited by MOCKBA
abuzuhri View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuzuhri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2007 at 6:59pm
Subject: : My Discovery of Rumi

Thank you for the ice-breaking message. Yes, your name has been often quoted by Sidi Redhuan Onn a.k.a the Red1.

My introduction to Maulana Rumi was via fragments/selections of his poems by the orientalists. At times I found them quite disjointed and found myself outside the light. The websites are much more helpful and I am more in a serious phase then. Your entry will help me to capture the real Rumi :

Can you suggest a biographical essay on Rumi that captures 'the time' of the Maulana in the expansion of the Islamic Ad Deen/Civilization and that piece touches you and captures your own imagination on the 'question/s of the day' .

I am afraid that you have 'to give' rather than 'to receive' from me  and thanking in advance for that generousity. Salam

Abdad/REDEEM/22.6.05  Subject: Rumi

Salam Dr.Abdad,

In the past, we read a fragment about your love and comment on Maulana Rumi teachings. Please tell us more on your active pursuant of this subject ie. books read, experiences and related friends. Some fuqara of  are direct inheritor of Rumi wisdom thru the Mevlvi tariq and also thru the idhin-transmission by Sheikh  Sulaiman Dede of Konya. Now his son is spreading in America and Canada, building a western Tekke near the Rocky Mountains.

We like to see a flowering of this knowledge among the fortunate Malaysian seekers thru proper channels. Without the Teacher, a few day journey will
take hundred years.

Or we can enjoy the Mathnawi like the westerners-song,music. dance and amazing stories but missed the real Goal.

Sorry to go this far without introducing myself.

Sidi ridhuan Oon had mentioned our early travels where we found the people connected to our Teacher.

May be Dr.Hakimi can relate the personal matters about the Chinese fuqara he knows.

Hope hearing from you soon.

Peace . Cai jian.

Abu Zuhri

=========================================

Quotation From Rumi Mathnawi

You are your own bird, your own prey

And your own trap. You are your own seat of honor,

you are your own floor and your own ruin.

In other words, you can reach your depth

and your heights, nobody else�s.

You have got the whole thing.

Rumi make remark about the Way

from the Prophetic saying :

�I am like the Ark in the flood of time.

I and my Companions are like the Ark of Noah, whoever is connected to us gains benefit�.

Then he comments- �when you find yourself

with the shaykh,  you are distanced from evil.

Day and night you are a traveler on a boat. You are under protection of a spirit who confers life. You are sleeping in the boat but you continue on your way. Even if you a lion( strong/brave) ,

you are in vain and in error

when you take the path

without a guide�.

�we kiss the hand that take us to knowledge,

not kiss the hand who comes to put us down�

� if anyone risks the way , the tariqa without a guide,

a voyage of two days lasts a hundred years�

�the purpose of existence is to have

people of knowledge�

Spend in the way of Allah , means  first to  act

and gain , then to spend .

It hurl the murid into the world,  not retreat.

He also said :

�islam is war and terror. It means jihad and

over coming the enemy-inward and outwardly.�

If you do not bow down to Allah, you will bow down to something  else. The opposite do not meet.

And that one will destroy the Din.

Truth is like laylatul qadar, hidden among the nights

in order that the spirit can put each night to the test.

So all the time in life you are testing for truth.

======================================

Another Reply On Maulana Rumi :

Dear Dr. Abdad, We are working hard to give a flying response on Rumi. Many eyes are looking on the lovers whispers. May be next time we correspond thru personal email, not the open yahoogroup.  Here is the first mini Mathnawi :

�O seeker, get out (from your house/univ) and travel !

(like those tasted the recent Bandung amirate gathering

with Rais Abu Bakar Rieger, Dr.Asadulah Yates who

translated the Secret garden of Shabistari/had studied in Qum, Amir Ahmad Atjie �

And countless other souls who one time had not

drunk from the Tea of Experience. Now they can tell us!

The Diwan of Bughyatul Sairinas-Salikin wa Tuhfatul Muridinal Arifin is our current Mathnawi now.

The fuqara can do dhikr, sitting, standing or dance hadra)

Shut your books (how many books on Rumi you read?)

open your inner sight

cleanse your body from reputations

(this is very hard indeed)

walk slowly, follow the sun light (shamsi tabriz)

money in your your pocket is useless

spend it for the future

In a remote corner of kuala lumpur

we sang the Qasida Lakal Hamdu and Fana FiLlah

We know you are coming.

Come, come whoever you are

You have not yet recognize the Teacher !

O faqir, your name had reached our ears

Tabaraka Allah. As Sidi Zilhilmy  said when

coming back from Bandung : no words

can describe our encounters ! Just to

make expensive for outsiders !

Cai jian. The Tiger is out there.�

abuzuhri shin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic