IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Shukr (Thankfulness)  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shukr (Thankfulness)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shukr (Thankfulness)
    Posted: 15 April 2005 at 8:55am

Auzubillahi minash shaitan ir rajeem,

Bismillah ir rahman ir Rahim,

Assalamualiakum wa rahmatullah wa barkatuhu,

[Attn Nadir: You asked me to give feedback on your personal conclusion]

The following is a story that is related in the chapter on Shukr (thankfulness) in "Sufficient Provision for Seekers of the Path of Truth" By Shaykh Abdal Qadir Jilani (RAA), translated in English by Shaykh  Muhtar Holland.

The following story was told by one of the righteous:

"In the course of one of my journeys, I caught sight of an old man, who was far advanced in age, so I asked him about his condition. He responded by telling me: 'In the early part of my life, I was deeply in love with a cousin of mine, the daughter of my paternal uncle, and she was equally in love with me, so it was agreed that I should marry her. [When she entered my chamber] on the night of her bridal procession [zifaf], I said to her: 'Come, let us spend the whole of this night in worship, as a way of giving thanks to Allah [shukran li'llah] (Almighty and Glorious is He) for having brought us together.' So we performed the ritual prayer [sallaina] throughout that night, and neither of us paid any attention to the other. Then, when the second night came around, we spent the whole of it in similar fashion. This came to be our constant practice, so that now, after seventy or eighty years have gone by, we are still in that same state every night.' His wife was with him at the time, so he turned to her and asked her: 'Is that not just the way it is, O So-and-so?' To this the old woman replied: 'It is just as the old man told you.'"

Maa salaama.

<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2005 at 4:49pm

Narrated Anas bin Malik:

A group of three men came to the houses of the wives of the Prophet asking how the Prophet worshipped (Allah), and when they were informed about that, they considered their worship insufficient and said, "Where are we from the Prophet as his past and future sins have been forgiven." Then one of them said, "I will offer the prayer throughout the night forever." The other said, "I will fast throughout the year and will not break my fast." The third said, "I will keep away from the women and will not marry forever." Allah's Apostle came to them and said, "Are you the same people who said so-and-so? By Allah, I am more submissive to Allah and more afraid of Him than you; yet I fast and break my fast, I do sleep and I also marry women. So he who does not follow my tradition in religion is not from me (not one of my followers)."   Volume 7, Book 62, Number 1

MOCKBA View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOCKBA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2005 at 8:25pm

I think the old man has missed a lot of other ways of giving thanks to Allaah and rewarding acts... amongst which we find attending of spouses to each other... as the above hadith clearly points out.  

MOCKBA

Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2005 at 9:31pm

Bismillah ir rahman ir Rahim,

Okay, I got the message.  What I tried to convey is too weak a signal from the above post ... I beleive I shld be more careful.

Actually the *lot of other ways* that you mention are brilliantly innumerated in the chapter, .... from which I posted, only a very tiny portion.

Anyway, dont worry about it .... and dont abandon your spouses

Maa salaama

Edited by Nausheen

[/COLOR]
nadir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nadir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2005 at 6:27am

Wa alaikum salaam wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu

Nausheen

O�Allah, All Praise and more, are due to You, for sharing this Wonderful Gift

Nausheen, this heart rejoices that you are with it, to share in praising Allah�s Glorious Gift 

Without wanting to spoil the moment, may I please just expand slightly�..

Love, happiness, contentment�..  All rests with Allah (S.W.T.), hence if a person looks in other directions, they will not find anything of �absolute significance�.

The other topic that came to mind is �my personal conclusion� � Love is not, & can never be � personal.

Nausheen, is this the lesson you intended to teach me? My main reason for asking you is that, I do seek reality, Allah�s Reality.

I have had to put up with a lot of manipulation, grief & seduction, to retain the innocence I have, which has only really lead me to become even more curious. People may wish to draw their own conclusions/reality, but the beautiful story you shared above illustrates (for me) nicely, the reason I wished to save the gifts that I have, for my wife-to-be (Insha Allah).

You made me contemplate � sacrifice, in a different light, so if nothing else thank you for that. Please excuse that my emotion permeates these words, it�s just how it will be until I find/I am found (so please do not threat). I would rather that be the case, than me acting covertly.

Wasalaam

nadir     

Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2005 at 4:50pm

Bismillah ir rahman ir rahim,

Assalamualikum wa rahmatullah wa barkatuhu,

Originally posted by nadir nadir wrote:

Nausheen, is this the lesson you intended to teach me? My main reason for asking you is that, I do seek reality, Allah�s Reality.

I have had to put up with a lot of manipulation, grief & seduction, to retain the innocence I have, which has only really lead me to become even more curious. People may wish to draw their own conclusions/reality, but the beautiful story you shared above illustrates (for me) nicely, the reason I wished to save the gifts that I have, for my wife-to-be (Insha Allah).

Nadir,

Alhamdulillah, you yearn to seek Allah. That is the most excellent purpose one can give to his/her existance on earth.

There are some who obey and worship him from the fear of Hell, others who do so for the love or His paradise, and some seek Him for Him. This is the most excellent of seeking.

He explains in sura Waqia, that mankind will be divided into three categories ... (I am not quoting the verses here), ... the foremost will be those who seek His countenance.

If we want to do this, we should obey His commands, follow the guidance of the messenger, and love him (SAW). Acquire knowledge, respect and honor those within the community who impart knowledge ... these are some of the adab which earn His good pleasure, so we receive His rahma and barakah in our lives.

To love Allah is one thing, and to become His beloved is another. It is our love for Allah which is the means to earn His love. 

We cannot love Allah truely as long as we love ourselves, our desires, and work for the gratification of our souls.

When one truely loves Allah, then all love that emanates, is thru that source love, and only then it is real. Otherwise it is always based on temporary and false presumptions, it is not everlasting. 

We want ppl to praise us, appreciate our good works. We do deeds of righteousness to raise our ranks in the community - this is not for the sake of Allah, for His good pleasure, or out of love for Him. This we do out of love for ourselves.

I can give you very little advice, as I myself do not know much. Be careful where to take your religion from. Be steadfast on the guidance of Allah, ie hold on to the rope of Allah, identify the diseases of your heart, and strive to purify it. As He has said in the Quran, true success is in meeting Allah with a sound Heart.

Make dua for me.

I was not teaching you any lesson, Nadir, just sharing a story with you. Alhamdulillah you appreciated it.

Maa salaama.

Nausheen

[/COLOR]
MOCKBA View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOCKBA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2005 at 9:06pm

Dear Sister Nausheen,

As-salaamu-alaikum!

Jazzak Allahu Khair for your remarkable effort to share thoughts, opinions, loads of information... and inspiring wisdom which is not easily found these days. This place, indeed, is not to teach each other any lessons unless someone willingly decides to learn.

And May Allaah always guide you and shield you... and what can be better. 

MOCKBA

Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2005 at 12:02am

Bismillah ir rahman ir rahim,

Originally posted by MOCKBA MOCKBA wrote:

Dear Sister Nausheen,

As-salaamu-alaikum!

Jazzak Allahu Khair for your remarkable effort to share thoughts, opinions, loads of information... and inspiring wisdom which is not easily found these days. This place, indeed, is not to teach each other any lessons unless someone willingly decides to learn.

Walaikum assalam wa rahmatullah wa barkatuhu,

Waiyakum ya akhi!

I hope I did not offend u in any sort. That would not be my intention. You may not be aware, but I have learnt a lot from you. There are many people on these forums who work as a community assiting each other, alhamdulillah. You are one of the few ppl thru whom I receive assistance.   As  I remember, we have some differences of opinion, but those are very minor, and in reality I have grown to respect you only more and more, my dear brother.

Originally posted by Mockba Mockba wrote:

And May Allaah always guide you and shield you... and what can be better. 

Ameen. Jazak allah khair, brother. Alhamdulillah that is what one needs, and more so in today's times, as the distractions are many.

May allah help and assist us all on the sirat al mustaqwwm. Ameen.

Maa salaama,

Nausheen

[/COLOR]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic