IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - A Muslim Funeral  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A Muslim Funeral

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Muslim Funeral
    Posted: 06 July 2006 at 11:26am

I have been reading about different traditions for funerals from various cultures and religions.  Could someone here tell me what a Muslim funeral is like?  I have been unable to find information on this subject.  Thank you.

God's Peace.

Patty

I don't know what the future holds....but I know who holds the future.
Suleyman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suleyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2006 at 11:36am

Hi Patty,this is what i found for you,i wish it works...happiness for you!....

Funerals in Islam

Main points for the preparation of a Muslim's body for burial;

1. The prayer to God for the deceased Muslim is a common collective duty (Fard Kifayah). This means that some Muslims should offer this prayer, and when it is offered by some of the Muslims present at the time it is sufficient, and the other Muslims become exempt from responsibility.
  2. When a Muslim dies, the whole body, beginning with the expose parts of ablution must be washed a few times with soap or some other detergent or disinfectant, and cleansed of all visible impurities; this is called "Ghusul". A man's body should be washed by men and a woman's body by women, but a child's body can be washed by either sex. A husband may wash his wife's body and vice versa if the need arises. When the body is thoroughly clean, it is warped in one or more white cotton sheets (Kafan or Kefen) covering all the parts of the body.
  3. The dead body is then placed in a coffin and carried to the place of prayer, a mosque (outside in the courtyard) or any other clean premises. The body is put in a position with the face toward the direction of Kaba in Mecca (Qibla or Kible).
  4. All participants in the prayer must perform an ablution unless they are keeping an earlier one. The imam stands beside the body facing the Qiblah at Mecca with the followers behind him in lines.
  5. The imam raises his hands to the ears declaring the intention in a low voice to pray to God for the particular deceased one, and saying "Allahu Akbar" (Allah is greatest). The worshippers follow the imam's lead and after him place their right hands over the left ones under the navel as in other prayers.
  6. Then the imam recites in a low voice what is usually recited in other prayers, i.e. the 'Thana' and the Fatiha verses of the Koran only.
  7. At this stage he says "Allahu Akbar" without raising his hands and recites the second part of the Tashahud verse (from ''Allahumma salli'ala sayyidina Muhammad'' to the end).
  8. Then he makes the third takbeer (tekbir) saying "Allahu Akbar" without raising the hands and offer his supplication (Du'a' in Arabic) in any suitable words he knows: "Allahumma-ghfir li hayyina wa mayyitina, wa shahidina wa gha`ibina wa sagheerina wa kabeerina wa dhakarina wa unthana. Allahumma man ahyaytahu minna fa aahyihi 'ala-i-Islam. Wa man tawaffaythu minna fa tawafahu 'ala-i-Islam. Allahumma la tahrimna ajrah, wa la taftinna ba' da".
    Translation: "O Allah! grant forgiveness to our living and to our dead, and to those who are present and to those who are absent, and to our young and our old folk, and to our males and females. O Allah! whomsoever you grant to live, from among us, help him to live in Islam, and whom of us you cause to die, help him to die in faith. O Allah! do not deprive us of the reward for patience on his loss, and do not make us subject to trail after him".
  9. Then the four takbeer (tekbir) saying "Allahu Akbar" without raising the hands is made followed by the concluding peace greetings right and left as in other prayers. It should be remembered that the worshippers behind in lines follow the lead of imam step by step and recite privately the same utterances in a low voice.
  10. After completing the prayer, the coffin will be taken to the cemetary; mourners should walk in front or beside the bier, those who are riding or driving should follow it. During this process silence is recommended. The grave should be deep. The body is lowered for burial with the face resting in the direction of Mecca (Qibla). When lowering the body down, these words are said: "Bismi-I-lahe wa be-I-lahe wa 'ala millati rasuli-I-lahe salla-I-lahu 'alayhi wa sallam."
    Translation: "In the name of Allah and with Allah, and according to the sunnah of the messenger of Allah upon whom be the blessings and peace of Allah."
    Beside these, any other fit prayers may be offered. If the deceased is a child under the age of puberty, the prayer is the same except that after the third takbeer (tekbir) and instead of that long supplication the worshippers recite these words: "Allahumma-j'alhu lana faratan wa j'alhu lana dhukra, wa j'alhu shafi'an wa mushaffa'a".
    Translation: "O Allah! make him (or her) our fore-runner, and make him for us a reward and treasure, and make him for us a pleader, and accept his pleading".

an Official funeral ceremonyIt is not recommended to use a casket unless there is a need for it .,e.g the soil is wet or loose. A stone or bricks or soil should be placed under the deceased's head to raise it up. After placing the body in the grave, fill the pit with soil, and raise the level of the grave a little less than one foot in a sloping way.

The grave should be built and marked in a simple way. The dead body should be covered with white cotton sheets of standard material. Any extravagance in building the grave or dressing up the body in fine suits or the like is non Islamic. It is false vanity and a waste of assets that can be used in many useful ways. It is strongly against the teachings of the Islamic religion and the prophet Muhammed (peace be upon him).

Edited by Suleyman
mariyah View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariyah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2006 at 11:39am
Originally posted by Patty Patty wrote:

I have been reading about different traditions for funerals from various cultures and religions.  Could someone here tell me what a Muslim funeral is like?  I have been unable to find information on this subject.  Thank you.

God's Peace.

Are you speaking of Janazah, or Muslim Burial?

It can be found on this website:

http://www.islamicity.com/Mosque/Janazah.htm

Hope this helps!

Wasalaam

Maryah

"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.
Patty View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2006 at 12:09pm

Thank you both very much.  This was exactly what I have been looking for.  It is truly a very holy and touching funeral service.  I am surprised to see a few similarities in Muslim funerals and Catholic funerals, Rite of Christian Burial.  (As my father is not expected to live much longer at all, I am unable to stop crying for long.  I am so broken hearted at this time.  He is so dear and precious to me.  But he is suffering so much from lung cancer, death will be merciful, (he never smoked in his life.)  And I've had to plan his funeral....it was the most difficult thing I've ever had to do.)  I think that is why my mind is so much on funerals at this time.

Our final words at the funeral before going to the cemetary are:

May the Angels lead you, lead you into paradise.

May the martyrs come to welcome you,

and take you to the holy city,

the new and eternal Jerusalem.

I can also relate to the simplicity of the funeral and burial.  Our culture spends far too much money on funerals.  It is done out of great respect for the loved one's life.  But I believe that the money could be used for the poor, and that would show even more respect and love for the deceased loved one.

Again, I appreciate this information very much.  Thank you!

Peace be with both of you......

Edited by Patty
Patty

Suleyman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suleyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2006 at 1:20pm

Oh my sister,i am so sad for your father, i can imagine what it means for you by the cause of i lived the same pain three years ago my father died from lung cancer in front of my eyes trying to catch them but he was going through,May Allah ease your pain Insh'allah,we are all behind of you with our duas for passing your exam successfully and seeing your father being blessed while having these pains...any of a advice you need on cancer please do not hesitate to discuss,in three months i became a expert of understanding the feelings of a cancer sufferer that i can give you some tips onto the new developments about cancer and the comforts of persons inside of this bad illness..all blessings...

Edited by Suleyman
superme View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2006 at 2:10pm

You already have useful replies sis, so I just add a little.

The only people who view funeral as everything were the old egyptian. They spent their entire life for funeral. This practice is forbidden in Islam just like decorating the house of worships. In simple word maybe we can say, we came into this world - simple, we live in here - simple, we depart from here - simple.

There are only three things that continue the contact with the dead, and these three things are the determining factors. The deeds he did while he/she was living here, the knowledge (good or bad) he/she passed on to other people, and the children (good or bad).

Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2006 at 4:04pm

Patty,

I'll keep your father in my prayers and you too. 

God Bless.

Patty View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2006 at 5:52pm

Dear Suleyman, Supreme, and Angela,

Thank you so much for your kind words.  I so much appreciate all your prayers.  I try to pray, but now I have a hard time even getting any words out.  Most of the time I just ask God to please grant my Father mercy and "take him home to Heaven"....then his suffering will be over and he will know peace again.  Sometimes I wonder if it's wrong to ask God to take him, and then I feel guilty.  But I cannot stand thinking about his suffering.  For him to finally die will be an act of mercy.  For me to want him to stay here on earth would be selfish of me.  Does that make sense to any of you?

God's Peace.

Patty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic